DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
This is the only human nature theory I ascribe to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSrV_0vG-4
Each to their own I guess. I'm definitely not turning vego just because of the gruesome animal stuff I've seen. I like meat too much.

Last edited by Zombie Dude; 12-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I hope it's more affordable 'round your way.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I hope it's more affordable 'round your way.
It's not cheap bit its not super expensive either.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
hellraiser40
Maniac

Quote:
Sad? Or justified?

Let's face facts- this is not a documentary. It's not meta. It's not about killing for a film, or genuinely testing audiences, or contemplating the borders of taste or how far film is allowed to go. It's about You Forgetting that the makers tortured actual living things and somehow believing there's any way to transition from the filmmakers doing it to the characters doing it. In the context of the film, which couldn't be more manipulative and hypocritical, believing it was Just The Characters doing this (and using the deaths' "realness" to just make you hate The Characters) to prove a point. Well: fuck that. That's like pointing at a black man in a crowded room, shouting the N word, then holding a white guy in front of you and pointing at everyone in the room for pointing at That Guy instead of you.

Blaming someone else for what you've done doesn't change a damn thing. The filmmakers are their own bad guys. But somehow, most people who are willing to look at the film refuse to see that. And - since the film was made - Deodato has been only too happy to say the reason he did all of this was because it's what the people wanted to see. Blaming his audience for doing such horrible things. Again, it's the kind of thing that should piss fans off yet I remain in the minority giving a damn about not just how wrong it was in general but how its use in the film is of only the worst hack metaphor variety. Hell- by comparison, Tom Six didn't think this little of his audience when he made The Human Centipede (the sequel, however, is a different matter) but millions of IMDb voters were proud to use the film as an example to prove they don't appreciate being pandered to.

What can I say? I respect that. People who torture animals, yet are not out of their mind when they do? And seem to feel no remorse whatsoever- which, thanks to defenders of the film, they don't have to...

You've got to be kidding me!
wel, the 'infamous' tag is justified because of what happens

it's also sad, but in 2 ways

1) the animals were in fact killed, strangely enough the turtle scene i can take more than the first scene where (some kind of) rodent gets a knife pulled through its throat, which to me is more in the realm of torture

2) the quality of all the other elements of this movie (acting, message, compositions, SFX, music,...) were good, or efficient, enough to act on themselves, it doesn't need some animals getting killed

now, something interesting came along this week, i was watching Discovery channel (or was it National Geographic) and they were filming rice plantations in some part of the Filipines, a tribal community there

apparently, when they plant the rice, they want to appease the gods so they take a live pig, cut it open in the chest and then puncture the heart, so as to get a good harvest

we don't get to see it as in-your-face as in CH, but we (and the host standing there) hear the squeeling of the pig as it gets cut open (not dead, just cut open to get his heart pierced afterwards) and see a couple of seconds of it

the tribals are stonefaced about it, they surely must have seen this done hundreds of times

this made me think of certain things

* is it purely informative that a channel shows this or is it also to spice up an otherwise quite dry documentary of rice plantations?

* do these tribals qualify as savages? should they be put to justice? and what does that mean?

and some other things too

so, what do you think?
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
j tea
Stalker

I would say human nature is to be arrogant and oblivious. The majority of people, when confronted with the facts about where their animal-based foodstuffs come from say "I would rather not know", or "I can't think about it too much." At least in contemporary society, I would say it has less to do with human nature and more to do with convenience and arrogance.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
zombiehorror
Screamy Bopper

Meat eating is anatomical.....humans have teeth of a carnivore, not an herbivore!

I know exactly were my beef, chicken and pork come from and we've discussed with our children the conditions that livestock are kept in and that they have to die in order for us to eat meat! And I'm proud to say both girls love steak, fried chicken, bacon, etc.

Back to Cannibal Holocaust there was more controversy than just the animal deaths, there were arrests, jailtime (I believe.) and court hearings over the cast members that were "murdered".....for short time this was thought to be a snuff film, until the individual actors were proven to still be among the living!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
Matt89
HackMaster

Killing an animal for food is one thing, but killing an animal for spectacle is an entirely different matter.

~Matt
Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I just think it's crazy/hilarious/bizarre to see I Spit On Your Grave and Cannibal Holocaust available to anyone that has access to two of the most popular streaming services. Two of the most notoriously vile films go from only being available via tape trading and word of mouth to being available to pretty much anyone with an internet connection.

Yet... you still can't say the word "fuck" on television or radio.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #25
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
Killing an animal for food is one thing, but killing an animal for spectacle is an entirely different matter.
Exactly - lets not get off topic about eating meat or not.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I remember still being freaked out by the 9/11 attacks and I wanted to see a film that wasn't bombastic or gruesome...
By October I thought I'd be able to handle such fare at the cinema. Cannibal Holocaust was featured as a special Halloween showing at a nearby retro house. So, expecting the campy fun of "Ferox" I paid the admission. Well...I left the cinema well bummed-out and drained.
I found the film well done and disturbing. It's not a fun film to watch over and over but I really like it. I think I have seen it a total of 2 times since 2001. Good film but not something I'd revisit soon.
Hulu? I think this film may have been featured on a local SF/Bay Area horror hosted program recently. They have done "Slave of the Cannibal God" already along with "The Boogeyman" and "Creepers" (PHENOMENA) so it's possibles.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Anaestheus
HackMaster

So, when I watched CH on Hulu a few things stood out for me:

1. I actually wasn't that bothered by the animal scenes. I'm a meat-eater and relatively concerned about the humane treatment of animals. But I am also comfortable with where meat comes from, how the whole animal kingdom/food chain thing works and I accept that things die so that others can live. And, as grotesque as it is, it's really no worse than any of the Mondo films that were coming out at the same time. Is it sensational and hypocritical the way the scenes are shown in CH, absolutely. But...

2. I kept thinking of a quote that Wes Craven had about LHotL. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of "in order to make an effective horror film, you have to convince the audience that the filmmakers are insane. The audience has to believe that they are in the hands of madman." And, CH definitely does convey that and I think the animal footage goes a long way to establishing that. There certainly is a feeling that there are no holds barred after that.

3. The thing that actually ended up shocking or upsetting me the most was all the sexual abuse. I don't know if I've grown more mature or if I just hadn't see this cut before. But, that stuff really made me hurt inside.

4. Regardless of the material, I can not deny that this is one effectively made film. The way the repulsion factor just keeps ramping up, the way the music is used, the slow introduction of the found footage. All of it was quite brilliantly handled in a way to maximize the audience manipulation. The main sex scene that happens in the middle of the film was brilliant. It starts of slowly like any other sex scene, then slowly reminds you that this is an exercise in pure voyeurism when you realize that one of the characters is filming it, making the audience complicit in the luridness, and then it goes a step farther to reveal just where they are actually having sex and the full repugnance becomes revealed. Even though the whole "message of the film is bullshit, I can not deny that the whole film is one stunning example of effective audience manipulation.

As much as I was appalled watching the film, I was equally stunned by all the craft and brilliance that went into making it.
Anaestheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
j tea
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehorror View Post
Meat eating is anatomical.....humans have teeth of a carnivore, not an herbivore!
interesting, you must have had your teeth surgically altered.

also, i said most people, there are certainly diehard people out there who are unapologetically proud of their dominion over the planet.

in other news, the cannibal holocaust soundtrack is the best italian horror has to offer. my first viewing of the movie was in the late 90s on a bootleg vhs i bought on ebay. it felt pretty sleazy and authentic.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #29
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Rape scenes can be uncomfortable to watch but they definitely don't offend me like they seem to offend a lot of people here.

As for the comment about those tribal people and if they qualify as savages, I really don't think it matters if they are or not. They've live out in the jungle for so long and have their own way of life that doesn't interfere with ours so I'd think it wrong to interfere. It's fascinating if anything.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #30
zombiehorror
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tea View Post
interesting, you must have had your teeth surgically altered.
Lion's teeth are not the only example of a carnivore (humans are as well) but way to try and take a truth and exaggerate into a fallacy! You must create memes in your spare time!

Are you saying a humans teeth more closely resemble a rabbits? Gerbil? Or chipmunk?
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote