Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

PATRICK (1978), DEAD KIDS (1981), THIRST (1979) & Ozploitation Trailers: Severin 3/11

After a few slow months, Severin announced Blu upgrades for some Down Under favorites along with a new Ozploitation trailer comp.

March 11th, 2014:
Richard Franklin's PATRICK (1978) Blu / DVD Combo
Michael Laughlin's DEAD KIDS (aka STRANGE BEHAVIOR, 1981) Blu / DVD Combo
Rod Hardy's THIRST (1979) Blu / DVD Combo
The Ozploitation Trailer Explosion! (2014) (Trailer Compilation) DVD only

Preorders are now live at Amazon for 3/11; as usual I've added links to my Upcoming Releases page:
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...s-of-note.html

I'll be using this thread for write-ups, updates, covers, reviews, etc.

Last edited by bruce h; 02-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Will definitely grab THIRST and maybe PATRICK but I really wish they'd use better cover art.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I have the DVD boxset with all three that I got for super cheap a long time ago, but the only one I ever watched was Strange Behavior.

I really loved that one though (especially the gratuitous synchronized dance scene). Will definitely be upgrading it. I'll have to check out the other two to see if they're worth it.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Damn, I just picked up the Synapse editions of Strange Behavior (AKA Dead Kids) and Patrick during Black Friday 2012 and finally watched them a few months ago. But these new editions feature new interviews and commentaries so I'm gonna have to pick them up at some point, but I'll wait till a sale like I do with most Severin releases.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Covers:

Last edited by bruce h; 02-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
dave13
HackMaster

Those are three great movies, but I've never seen the appeal of a trailer collection. This one especially, feels kind of derivative of Not Quite Hollywood. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would expect this to cover pretty much the exact same titles.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Will pick up all. I love trailer compilations, they are fun as hell. Put it on in the background or watch in full and right down all the crazy movies you need to see.

I thought I'd never see that InterVision logo again! Awesome!
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
... I've never seen the appeal of a trailer collection. This one especially, feels kind of derivative of Not Quite Hollywood. ... I would expect this to cover pretty much the exact same titles.
I'm sure it'll tread much of the same ground, but the cover art does boast 65 full trailers, so I imagine it'll be a fun disc, regardless. There are still a lot of cool Ozploitation titles not covered in NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD -- twisted thrillers like LADY STAY DEAD and SUMMERFIELD, gritty heist flicks like MONEY MOVERS, etc. so hopefully there'll be some surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I thought I'd never see that InterVision logo again! Awesome!
They have some more stuff lined up -- more trailer compilations including the Brit Video Nasty ones, some German gore titles, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I love trailer compilations, they are fun as hell. Put it on in the background or watch in full and right down all the crazy movies you need to see.
Agreed
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Great films and I love that the artwork isn't made to look "SAW"-like
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Continuing to explore the Ozploitation Outback, Severin Films give us a hi-def upgrade of Michael Laughlin's DEAD KIDS (aka Strange Behavior, 1981)! Small town cop John Brady is baffled by a rash of teen murders; according to the coroner, the cases seem inconsistent with a single killer. Could it have something to do with the unethical experiments of a disgraced, deceased professor? When John's son volunteers as guinea pig for some tests at the local college, the answer may be closer than he expects. Oft-labeled a slasher film, DEAD KIDS really has more in common with '50s sci-fi programmers, but still retains the nastier edge of its '80s kin (not to mention a Tangerine Dream score). Filled with likeable characters and offbeat touches like a Tor Johnson-masked murderer and an out-of-nowhere choreographed dance party, the film emerges a unique, atypical surprise that's been a favorite since I initially picked up a badly-cropped, EP-speed VHS for $2.88 at Woolworth's.

Released previously by Elite and Synapse, Severin's blu debut ports the commentary with co-writer Bill Condon and actors Dan Shor and Dey Young, while adding a new one with director Laughlin. Also onboard is a new featurette with make-up man Craig Reardon, along with the usual assortment of trailers.

Blu-Ray / DVD Combo Preorder (3/11/14) : Direct link at Cinema Arcana's Upcoming Releases list!
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...s-of-note.html

Theatrical Trailer!
http://youtu.be/u6GKFbB-daM

"Like" the Cinema Arcana Facebook page to keep up with the latest news, deals, release announcements and more!
https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
ronnie21
HackMaster

I really liked dead kids, have to see the reviews. got the strange behavior dvd years ago, and while widescreen the print was dirty with a lot of white specs I hope are gone now. Seen this on the movie channel back in summer of 83. It never played around here in philly though.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I'll likely pick these up when they come down in price. Never seen Thirst so I'll give that a watch first. I have to revisit Dead Kids which I have on dvd. I can't remember my thoughts on the film but I liked it enough not to sell my copy.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
ronnie21
HackMaster

ZOMBIE, wow, I retail of $29.99 for dead kids on amazon? wow that's kinda steep.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
ronnie21
HackMaster

Theres a really nice print on you tube under the 'DEAD KIDS" title. If the blu ray looks this nice. I will buy it.