Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Demoni
HackMaster

Alex de la Iglesia´s Witching And Bitching (2013)

Alex De La Iglesia´s Witching And Bitching (2013)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fBQ9YgllQ

When your marriage has you on the brink and your bank account in red, it's time to rob a Cash-for-Gold shop. That's the last-ditch decision made by a group of desperate guys led by divorced dad JOSÉ. Unfortunately for all, José never lets his kid down and the day of the break-in is his day of the week with his 8-year old son. Looks like little Sergio will have to tag along. They make it out of the shop with a bag full of 25,000 gold wedding rings only to find their getaway car has disappeared: ANTONIO's wife had to go shopping.

They flag down a cab driven by Manuel, another victim of a marriage that leaves plenty to be desired. So do they run south to Morocco? Not easy getting through with a cab... Looks like it's north to France, especially with Jose's promise to Sergio that they'll go live in Disneyland. Things get even more complicated when 8:30pm comes and José doesn't drop Sergio off at his ex-wife's as expected. She takes it to the police, but goes looking for Sergio herself when they don't take it seriously enough.

Meanwhile, the 25,000 gold rings become a real curse when the guys enter the impenetrable forests of Basque Country, home to ancient covens and witchery. It's poetic justice time for their failures with the opposite sex. They run head-on with a horde of crazed women who feed on human flesh. Trapped in a mysterious mansion, the witches try to seize the rings at all cost and to rip out our heroes' souls to boot. Poor guys, they made their bed and now they'll have to sleep in it. And all they wanted was a little peace and quiet.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Wow, I just realized I haven't seen a film he's made since "Perdita Durango". I've had "800 Bullets" in my Netflix queue forever, maybe I should bump it to the top?
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Demoni
HackMaster

I liked both "Perdita Durango" and "800 Bullets" but my favorite so far is "The Day Of The Beast".

This "Witching And Bitching" looks like crazy as hell horror fun.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Dobby
HackMaster

Day Of The Beast which is a masterpiece was the last film I recall. I know he made several others afterwards but they were not that good. I remember thinking to myself damn this dude is awesome. Then everything he touched later was a whimper and a fart.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
I liked both "Perdita Durango" and "800 Bullets" but my favorite so far is "The Day Of The Beast".

This "Witching And Bitching" looks like crazy as hell horror fun.
Agreed. I've enjoyed all of his previous films, and this looks awesome too!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I loved "The Day of the Beast". I saw the dubbed version first (a number of times) and was a little weirded out when I finally got the subtitled import version. I thought the dubbed voice for Santiago Segura's character was much more effective as the "dumb metalhead" character than his actual voice. Yup, I know that's kind of stupid, but I guess I was just used to that version of the film at that point.

And "Accion Mutante" was pretty entertaining too. I'll definitely be checking this new one out.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I've wanted to see Day of the Beast but I don't think it's ever been given a legitimate region 1 DVD release. No Lionsgate, Artisan, MGM, Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Image, Elite, Synapse, Something Weird, or Criterion has touched it. Is there any reason for that? At all?
DVD-fanatic-9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I've wanted to see Day of the Beast but I don't think it's ever been given a legitimate region 1 DVD release. No Lionsgate, Artisan, MGM, Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Image, Elite, Synapse, Something Weird, or Criterion has touched it. Is there any reason for that? At all?
I have no idea. It's probably just tangled in unknown matters like other films that have yet to get DVD releases, like RAD and The Keep, etc..

I bought the R2 DVD back in 2005 from Xploited Cinema. It's an official release, with quite a few bonus features... but the transfer is not 16x9 enhanced.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I believe MGM were keepers of The Keep when I watched it on Netflix. Which of course was the shorter, theatrical version.
DVD-fanatic-9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, the dubbed VHS version of "The Day of the Beast" was released by Trimark who subsequently merged with Lion's Gate, so it's probably caught up in some kind of rights dispute in perpetuity.

Last edited by Darga; 07-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
Demoni
HackMaster

My god, I just saw this.
What a fucking masterpiece. Great fun, great horror and great laughs.

I just love "The Day of the Beast" but in my opinion this was better all around.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
msw7
Morso a morte

I really loved The Last Circus, and I'm looking forward to this. Sad to hear that Day of the Beast doesn't have a proper release. I haven't seen it, but if it's his best I'll definitely try to check out even an inferior release.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I really loved The Last Circus, and I'm looking forward to this. Sad to hear that Day of the Beast doesn't have a proper release. I haven't seen it, but if it's his best I'll definitely try to check out even an inferior release.
This and "Day of the Beast" will be shown at an horror convention in my country next week.

I already saw "Day of the Beast" when it originally premiered and I downloaded this to see if it was worth checking on the big screen and loved it.

You can find a blu-ray rip of "Witching And Bitching" on torrent, not sure about "Day of the Beast".

But I guarantee "Witching And Bitching" is a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #14
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Wow, this is very quietly being dumped straight-to-DVD on October 14th. No blu-ray in the U.S., DVD only. Didn't even realize it was coming out, hadn't heard a peep about the DVD release.