Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #76
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
His most overrated movie: Cat o' Nine Tails.

That is all.
I honestly don't hear a lot of praise for this one at all. I wouldn't call it overrated, I'd call it less appreciated/known. It was one of the last Argento films I sought out because I'd heard next to nothing about it. His most talked about films seem to be Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebre and Phenomena. Rarely does Cat o' Nine Tails get thrown in there.
Quote:
I still think Stenhdal Syndrome is an excellent film. For me, it was after that when he stopped trying.
One of his most boring films for me. Plus you could see the "twist" coming a mile away. Definitely one I'd like to forget.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #77
Paff

Quote:
I still think Stenhdal Syndrome is an excellent film. For me, it was after that when he stopped trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
One of his most boring films for me. Plus you could see the "twist" coming a mile away. Definitely one I'd like to forget.
No, DVD-f-9 is spot on about this one. It's clearly Argento's best written film, relying on far more than just a "twist".

I've said this piece before, so long time forum members have probably read it from me already. Also, there's some spoilers for Stendhal and other Argento films. But basically, I see Stendhal Syndrome as the concluding chapter in Argento's "Art Trilogy" (which is far more of a true trilogy than the oft-cited "Animal Trilogy", three completely unrelated giallo films with nothing linking them except that each film contains an animal's name in the title). In The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, a young woman is inspired to violence after viewing a piece of art. In Deep Red, a young boy is disturbed by a violent act he witnessed, and takes to drawing it repeatedly. In The Stendhal Syndrome, it's both; a woman sees art that makes her violent, and she creates art that reflects her psychosis.

But the sheer genius of The Stendhal Syndrome is Anna as the "blank canvas". She suffers amnesia in the opening of the film, and it's no coincedence that she's wearing a plain white blouse. The first splash of paint on this "canvas" are drops of blood, showing us that violence and art are going to be interchangeable in this film. As the movie progresses, more and more "brushstrokes" are added to this canvas, but instead of it becoming a museum of varied works, it just becomes a jumbled mess of paint that is totally incoherent. You can see this at the end when she's just rambling and making no sense.

It's a fantastic film, although I'd like to have seen Dario pick a stronger lead actress than his daughter, and cut out some of the useless CGI scenes from early in the film. Other than that, it's his last great movie. But it does stand right up to his "classics" like Deep Red, Tenebrae, and even Suspiria.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #78
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

I think it has even more layers than that. The gender-issue stuff she deals with isn't forced or crude in my book, the changes she makes to her appearance, the way she behaves with all the men around her and how that changes, and the self-mutilation.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #79
maybrick
HackMaster

I agree that Stendahl is a good movie. I also enjoyed Sleepless, The Card Player and even Giallo for what they were. But without question, I feel that his foray into American cinema was the end of his reliability as a "Great" director. At this point he creates far more duds than anything else, and I think that that's largely due to the fact that he has become too comfortable now. It doesn't matter what shit he does because there will be hordes of people out there ready to lap it up as long as Dario's name is on it.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #80
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I still found TSS a hard film to watch and it really didn't keep me interested like a lot of his other work. Out of his newer work I much prefer Sleepless.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #81
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Quote:
His most overrated movie: Cat o' Nine Tails.
I honestly don't hear a lot of praise for this one at all. I wouldn't call it overrated, I'd call it less appreciated/known. It was one of the last Argento films I sought out because I'd heard next to nothing about it. His most talked about films seem to be Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebre and Phenomena. Rarely does Cat o' Nine Tails get thrown in there.
Man, I remember how hyped I was for that one: I rented Dario Argento's World of Horror and the clip of the ending came up, but since it was out of context, they made it look like the killer actually did kill the niece and it made the over-the-top murder of the killer seem more unhinged and wrathful. I love Bird with the Crystal Plumage so much as it was, that I thought the next movie should be darker and creepier... but Cat did not do that. Instead, it was clunky and stiff. Not to mention the lead is a true borderline sexist and I can't think of a reason on Earth why they even flirted with incest between Anna and her father. That was not what that movie needed. Pretty much anything on Earth would have been a more interesting red herring motivation to make her look guilty. Four Flies had nearly the same problems but was definitely darker and finally had that tragedy I was thinking Cat deserved in Nina. In Cat, the killer is a non-existent character. Outside of it being the typical Argento-surrogate.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 04-08-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 AM   #82
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Spoilers.

Man, I remember how hyped I was for that one: I rented Dario Argento's World of Horror and the clip of the ending came up, but since it was out of context, they made it look like the killer actually did kill the niece and it made the over-the-top murder of the killer seem more unhinged and wrathful. I love Bird with the Crystal Plumage so much as it was, that I thought the next movie should be darker and creepier... but Cat did not do that. Instead, it was clunky and stiff. Not to mention the lead is a true borderline sexist and I can't think of a reason on Earth why they even flirted with incest between Anna and her father. That was not what that movie needed. Pretty much anything on Earth would have been a more interesting red herring motivation to make her look guilty. Four Flies had nearly the same problems but was definitely darker and finally had that tragedy I was thinking Cat deserved in Nina. In Cat, the killer is a non-existent character. Outside of it being the typical Argento-surrogate.
It's cool that you have problems with it but my point was that it is not overrated at all.
The most I recall about Cat is that I liked it. I'll have to give it another spin. Same with Four Flies.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #83
Body Boy
HackMaster

Cat is the worst from Argento's 1970-1990 output imo, and most people seem to agree. But I'll need to watch it again. Flies grew on me, but Cat felt too routinely a thriller.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #84
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Cat is the worst from Argento's 1970-1990 output imo, and most people seem to agree. But I'll need to watch it again. Flies grew on me, but Cat felt too routinely a thriller.
I won't argue with this but I still enjoy it. I rather watch it 10 times in a row than watch any of his new stuff.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #85
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I won't argue with this but I still enjoy it. I rather watch it 10 times in a row than watch any of his new stuff.
I agree, his new stuff is garbage
Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #86
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I actually think Sleepless is stronger than Cat, and I love Mother of Tears for all the wrong reasons... but his new stuff is certainly of a lower quality.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #87
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Mother of Tears is just unwatchable today. I wish that DVD was worth something. I used to find it funny, now it's just depressing.