Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Twin Peaks to return?

imdb:

Quote:
Actor Kyle Maclachlan plans to resurrect his quirky TV drama Twin Peaks in short installments on the internet.

The Desperate Housewives star played an FBI agent on the show between 1990 and 1991, working with legendary director David Lynch on the cult series.

The show was eventually cancelled after a decline in ratings, but returned in 1992 with a prequel movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Maclachlan is desperate to reprise his role once again and hopes to utilise the web to help fulfill his ambition of a return to Twin Peaks.

He says, "I have a crazy idea to bring back Twin Peaks on the net as five minute webisodes."

But the star admits the show's creator, David Lynch, won't be involved with the new version as he is too busy focusing on his initiatives to publicise meditation techniques.

Maclachlan adds, "David's focus is more on transcendental meditation now."
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
CasEjonz

Not sure if even "Agent Cooper" can recapture the magic of Twin Peaks. Even if you get original cast members, the fact that they will come across 20 years older will not feel as comfortable as it was when it was first running on TV. I wish it went to a third season, but it certainly was falling fast in the second season. Well at least they aren't talking about a "re-boot."
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasEjonz View Post
Not sure if even "Agent Cooper" can recapture the magic of Twin Peaks. Even if you get original cast members, the fact that they will come across 20 years older will not feel as comfortable as it was when it was first running on TV. I wish it went to a third season, but it certainly was falling fast in the second season. Well at least they aren't talking about a "re-boot."
I don't know about webisodes, but think bringing back Twin Peaks for a belated third season could work. After all, if you remember, Agent Cooper had a recurring dream of himself in the white/black lodge as a much older man.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
j tea
Stalker

it won't work without lynch. he should know that. lynch becoming disinterested is why the second season went down in flames. i mean, that little adoptee they thought was cursed, the miss twin peaks pageant? pretty silly compared to the first season and maybe first third of the second season. the last episode brought it back to where it belonged, but only because lynch returned.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

If Lynch becoming disinterested was the reason for it's downfall, then logically speaking with the right people behind it, a new Twin Peaks would work BETTER without him.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Dusk
Stalker

Lynch was absent from much of the series... Mark Frost was the true constant, BTS.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
SEANVALEN
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
Lynch was absent from much of the series... Mark Frost was the true constant, BTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
If Lynch becoming disinterested was the reason for it's downfall, then logically speaking with the right people behind it, a new Twin Peaks would work BETTER without him.

GOOD POINTS HERE DUSK LEGEND AND MAYBRICK LEGEND.

I have alot of respect for David Lynch, but TWIN PEAKS for me is about, not just lynch, mark Frost as menstioned,
but the MUSIC!

Here's a review I found I agree with
http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Sea.../dp/B000002LMM
Quote:
Today's working hypothesis is no composer was ever more important to the success of a television show than Angelo Badalamenti was for his work on the David Lynch televison cult hit "Twin Peaks" (1990-91).

The criteria here is not just coming up with a memorable instrumental theme song (in which case we just pick Lalo Schifrin for "Mission Impossible"), but the scoring of various episodes over the course of several seasons. By that standard what is the competition? Jan Hammer's work on "Miami Vice" got a lot of publicity, but when you think of the soundtrack for that show you are just as likely to think of Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" and Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" as you are the show's theme song or other incidental music. For me the close second would be w.g. snuffy walden's work on "thirtysomething," but that superb work (especially "second look") never received the publicity that Badalamenti did with "Twin Peaks" (Population 51,201).

Besides the memorable main theme you have the haunting "Laura Palmer's Theme" and the quirky little "Dance of the Dream Man." The former was used in different variations to different effects throughout the series, eloquently underscoring the twists and turns in the search for her killer. Even when David Lynch writes some lyrics for Julee Cruise to sing, the mood produced by the music never changed. It is amazing to me how you could always be aware of what Badalamenti was doing while watching "Twin Peaks," yet the music never becomes intrusive or overwhelming. Instead it is a perfect compliment to the story and pictures.

I think David Lynch is very important, but if has no desire, and someone else has, then perhaps you go with the man with desire to do it, and if that's Dale Cooper, it's not bad, because the foundations of his character, are very hard to ignore, it's Lynch all over him, as much as the music and david frost.

For Twin Peak fans, ever craving for something new, this is exciting, from Dale Cooper himself, if it's popular enough, who knows, maybe a new series, you can dream!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Grim
HackMaster

The funny thing is that a show like this would thrive on the TV these days. It was wayyyyy ahead of its time back then and paved the way for other quirky shows dealing with strange happenings and the occult like The X-Files. What would be neat to see would be a show that takes place in the same continuity, just twenty years later. Keep some of the old characters, but mostly have a new cast. They could be their kids, new residents, etc. Basically it would be keeping with that twisted soap opera feel they were going for with the original. Still, I'm interested to see if this actually happens.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
j tea
Stalker

Quote:
i dont follow that? logically, if the show was only good when he was involved and interested (my hypothesis, obviously arguable), then how would it be good without him?

i am pretty sure this will never happen, but i wouldnt mind seeing audrey again...
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tea View Post
i dont follow that? logically, if the show was only good when he was involved and interested (my hypothesis, obviously arguable), then how would it be good without him?

i am pretty sure this will never happen, but i wouldnt mind seeing audrey again...
David Lynch was always involved with Twin Peaks. He may not have written or directed every single episode exactly (because that's impossible the way TV shows are made), but he was always there behind the scenes giving the orders. But let's say he was completely disinterested in working on the show. How could Lynch help but be a drag on the show creatively?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
David Lynch was always involved with Twin Peaks. He may not have written or directed every single episode exactly (because that's impossible the way TV shows are made), but he was always there behind the scenes giving the orders. But let's say he was completely disinterested in working on the show. How could Lynch help but be a drag on the show creatively?
...Nope, still doesn't past the sniff test. If a show faultered because of creative disterest, then it does not follow that it would do better because of it.

Lynch is simply impossible to replace. Now you could make a good show without him, of course, but it wouldn't be the same. That's the main point.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
...Nope, still doesn't past the sniff test. If a show faultered because of creative disterest, then it does not follow that it would do better because of it.

Lynch is simply impossible to replace. Now you could make a good show without him, of course, but it wouldn't be the same. That's the main point.
I never said it would be the same, but obviously neither of you guys understand what I'm saying because it should be pretty common sense. Simply put (or simpler put): People who are interested in a project will do a better job than somebody who isn't. Ergo: if Lynch isn't interested, then put someone in charge who is and it's bound to be better than some guy with name recognition who only shows up for the check. For instance, look at MOTHER OF TEARS. Beforehand, there wasn't a person among us who would've thought that a good sequel could be made without Argento. But looking at the end result and his apparent indifference to the material, and I'm sure that there's a far higher percentage of us out there thinking that perhaps it would've been better had he handed the reigns over to somebody else.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I'm not saying that I'm not interested but, as Maybrick pointed out, David Lynch was always involved with Twin Peaks. So if there's no David Lynch it's not really Twin Peaks.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darga View Post
I'm not saying that I'm not interested but, as Maybrick pointed out, David Lynch was always involved with Twin Peaks. So if there's no David Lynch it's not really Twin Peaks.
That's kind of like saying without Gene Roddenberry it isn't Star Trek. Or without Jim Henson there are no Muppets. There are plenty of instances where a movie franchise or tv series has survived, and even thrived, without their creator's involvement.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

Quote:
That's kind of like saying without Gene Roddenberry it isn't Star Trek. Or without Jim Henson there are no Muppets. There are plenty of instances where a movie franchise or tv series has survived, and even thrived, without their creator's involvement.
Firstly, comparing Twin Peaks to a franchise like Star Trek is like comparing apples and oranges. But seeing how I'm not a fan of any of the post-Roddenberry stuff anyways I could agree that without Roddenberry it isn't Star Trek.

And the Muppets?! What the hell have they accomplished since Jim Henson died? I have to admit though, I haven't been following them in recent years....
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote