Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
HrdcorECW1637
Screamy Bopper

Nightmare on Elm Street Book--Never Sleep Again

Have you guys heard of this book? It's from the makers of 'Never Sleep Again.' They're doing a huge book just like 'Crystal Lake Memories' and have started a Kickstarter campaign for it. It looks great!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ghtmare-on-elm
HrdcorECW1637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

It's being discussed here in a related thread, but probably does deserve its own thread.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Undeadcow
Stalker

It doesn't look like this will make it's ambitious $65,000 goal (not sure if that's a typo).
Undeadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
It doesn't look like this will make it's ambitious $65,000 goal (not sure if that's a typo).
That definitely isn't a typo. I'm curious if a publisher will pick this up since the kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to cover it.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I usually don't get books like this. But I would like to get Heather Langenkamp's signature on something. If they had the Nightmare on Elm Street British Quad poster as a bonus and had her sign that. I would sign up. It's far better than that book cover.

Or even if Mondo or someone would make a good alternative Nightmare on Elm Street poster for this project. They haven't made a good one yet. That would get me.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
chancetx
Stalker

It's too bad it doesn't cover the entire Elm Street series. Obviously, the original is the best but the "Friday The 13th" book was fantastic because it covered the entire film series and even mentioned the TV show. I bet a comprehensive book covering everything Elm Street and Freddy would get a lot closer to achieving that $65K goal.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
foller
Stalker

Calling the book "Never sleep again" and then only focusing on the first entry is misleading and pointless.
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

I'm more interested in the sequels....
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Zillamon51
Maniac

More Kickstarter crap. These people have been keeping the horror docs coming, so they must make decent coin on them. But instead of re-investing and funding the book themselves, they want us to foot the bill? Fuck that. I don't do Kickstarter, I certainly don't give money to people who are already successful and connected within the industry, and I advise no one else does so either. When the book is published and shows up on Amazon, I will happily consider a purchase. You know, the way things worked before the current e-begging trend.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
HrdcorECW1637
Screamy Bopper

Trust me, independent docs rarely make any money worth talking about.
HrdcorECW1637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
WesReviews
HackMaster

I'm a little torn on this project. I am a HUGE Freddy fan and collector. I even have one of the Dream Master replica gloves signed by Robert that NightmareGloves was offering a few years ago. So, I don't mind to spend a little dough when it comes to Freddy.

However, this project going the Kickstarter route, my main question is... why?

There are books devoted to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies, Phantasm series, and Friday the 13th movies... and you're expecting me to believe NO publisher wanted to publish a Nightmare book? Really, guys?

But, that's exactly what they're claiming to anyone who tries to challenge them or say they're just doing it the kickstarter way to be able to keep 100% of profits from sales without a publisher/distributor taking various cuts.

A recent exchange from Facebook...

Quote:
MondoFilm VideoGuide
This whole Kickstarter seems a bit sketchy. They don't need 65K to print this book. They seem to want to put it out and own the rights to recoup 100 of the profits on there own. That's the only reason they could need that volume of money. Common sense would be to run with a normal publisher and let them handle the publishing and the distribution and shipping -- not to mention 100% security of the publisher's marketing and channels via Amazon.

Mark Petrie
They're printing 1,300 copies. A book like this would EASILY cost $50 each in a Barnes and Noble or something like that.

MondoFilm VideoGuide
Yeah, and? The point is that they going about the publishing foolishly. Send it through a good publisher and they don't have to worry about raising the money. If everyone is really on board that the kickstarter claims, then they shouldn't need any money to clear the rights to any photos etc.. They are simply trying to print it on their own, and cut out the publisher so they can grab all the profits. Which is fine I suppose, but trying to raise such funds to do it with crowd funding is a bit silly in my eyes. Work smart not hard.

Mark Petrie
^^^ Says the know-it-all.

MondoFilm VideoGuide
I Wasn't implying any such thing, the exploitation of crowd funding to promote and raise your project is the sketchy part. Logistically, this plan is nuts as by the time you raise that money, print it, ship it, send out whatever promos you're offering -- it will be impossible to make a profit. You're better off taking it through a publisher.

MondoFilm VideoGuide
I'm totally in support of this book, to be clear. I'm just saying that you're going about the publishing wrong.

Lito Velasco
Mondo - we SHOPPED the book to various publishers. Thommy would've had to make certain creative concessions that would've reduced this book to being the SAME thing we've already seen dozens of times before and he simply didn't want to do that. He wanted to put out something new, unique, and definitive. We're publishing independently via Toppan Publishing. Listen to our Rabbit in Red Radio interview: you'll hear the story.

And if you're in support..."sketchy" probably isn't the right word to use. Neither are phrases such as "If everyone is really on board that the kickstarter claims...", IMO. Those are, like it or not, implications.

MondoFilm VideoGuide
Well, I see it as sketchy. Trying to run projects like these skew the crowd funding for others that are in need of it. I'd say that you didn't look around at too many publishers because I'm certain that you could run it through any media specific publishers and not only would they print it for you but they would schedule disturbution.

Ash Padalecki
I'd gladly pay $200 for the book alone, without signatures, poster, etc... so it's a bargain in my eyes!

Nathan Thomas Milliner
In my experience, if they went with a publisher...my artwork would be gone for sure.

Ash Padalecki
They would probably put a picture of Jackie Earl Haley's FREDDY on the cover, to make it appealing to the kids of today... ugggh

MondoFilm VideoGuide
Yeah, that's not true. DId they try Harker Press, Bear Manor Media, Centipede Press, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers???

MondoFilm VideoGuide
There is nothing wrong with indie publishing for sure, but 65K to print what 1500 copies is too much. Are you planning on posting your costs to print publicly?

Nathan Thomas Milliner
I have done several covers and posters for films, books that the authors and filmmakers hired me for and as soon as they got publishers/distrubtors--my art was tossed for in house marketing.

MondoFilm VideoGuide
none of the publishers I mentioned above would do that. Also, as a final means to an end -- what about publishing with Amazon. Their author service not only could handle this project but it would be printed on demand. Their stuff is really high quality too.

Lito Velasco
You can't do print-on-demand for a book of this size and expect the SAME quality. It's not as if we haven't researched this.

I have a wife waiting with dinner and tons of work to do still. If you're in support, great. Thanks. If not, great, thanks. Have a good night.
Then, yesterday, the artist of the cover art all but confirms that this is a Kickstarter only thing...

Quote:
Nathan Thomas Milliner
We have 7 days to make this book a reality. The thing is...there is NO WAITING on this. There is no promise that this book will ever be available again even if the goal is met. As of right now, this book is ONLY available through this kickstarter. Once it is over the only way you might be able to get a copy is to buy it second market from ebay, ect. So please do not wait as there may be no tomorrow on this. This may be the one and only printing of this book and that means it will be HIGHLY collectable. Especially with the poster and the autographs. I just wanted to warn people that this very well may be the ONLY chance to ever own this book.
Milliner even reiterated this point in a new post only an hour ago...

Quote:
5. At this point if this book does meet it's goal there is no promise that this book will be available at another time outside of second markets like ebay. Basically this may be the only opportunity to buy this book as it could be the only printing of it making it highly collectible.
So, yeah, as a fan... I'm torn. I want to believe in this book and it's makers, but at the same time, I have to agree with the Mondo guy. It's a tad on the shady side and not really what Kickstarter was intended to be used for. You're not really contributing to it's printing for sale and distribution in book stores and Amazon and so forth. You're basically just buying it through Kickstarter.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
buck135
The Duke of New York

I love this film and hope that this book achieves its goal. However, what more can be said about this film that hasn't already? I think the only person that hasn't spoken publicly about the film in the last ten years has been Johnny Depp. The conversation that WesReviews posted above has me thinking, the Crystal Lake book was a tremendous success. The Never Sleep Again documentary was even more so. Why would a publisher strip down or remove content?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I waited for a little while on this as I'm iffy on the whole Kickstarter thing, but then decided that I'd rather have this book than not and so I did the pre-order pledge of $50 (I don't need autographs, etc.)

I also heard that if the book is successful, books on the sequels could follow in the near future, which I'm very interested in. A 200 page book on Freddy's Dead? That's so ridiculous it kind of makes me happy (and I am not a fan of that film by any stretch of the imagination).
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
deepred
Maniac

I will probably pre-order as well as the original Elm Street was my first horror movie and one of my favs and the book looks beautiful. I find it hard to believe that no one would publish this but if this is how they want to publish it, so be it ... I can't see picking up the books for the sequels though.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #15
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
I waited for a little while on this as I'm iffy on the whole Kickstarter thing, but then decided that I'd rather have this book than not and so I did the pre-order pledge of $50 (I don't need autographs, etc.)

I also heard that if the book is successful, books on the sequels could follow in the near future, which I'm very interested in. A 200 page book on Freddy's Dead? That's so ridiculous it kind of makes me happy (and I am not a fan of that film by any stretch of the imagination).
The books for the sequels will not happen. If they are having this much trouble getting a book on the first film out, do you think a book exclusively on the second film, or Freddy's Dead will sell?

This whole kickstarter is nonsense. The Crystal Lake Memories book was highly successful as were both documentaries. Release a book through Amazon on the whole series and call it a day.

The whole kickstarter thing has really been getting abused the last few years. Whether you like him or not, you got to give Kevin Smith credit for not going through kickstarter to fund his films, stating he has ways to go about and get funding for his stuff, kickstarter should be for the little guy, which I agree with. It's too bad, because the little guy is getting lost with all these big projects taking all the money.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crystal lake memories, freddy krueger, never sleep again, nightmare on elm street