Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-10-2001, 04:10 AM   #1
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Question Anatomy

I was tempted to pick this German film on DVD yesterday because it looked like an awesome little package from Columbia/Tristar (I'm a big fan of their DVD's...Heavy Metal rules!) Anyway, now I'm kicking myself for not getting it after seeing the trailer and reading the sweet review on dvdreview.com

Has anyone got this DVD or seen the film. It stars the girl from RUN LOLA RUN who is also in BLOW, in theatres now. It's drawing comparisons to the Spanish film THESIS (which I loved). I haven't read anything here about it, and I'm wondering if it could be a hidden gem.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:26 AM   #2
DeepDownTraumaHound

Her name is Franka Potente and she is my new obsession, next to Parker Posey of course. I will be getting this soon. I've heard nothing but good things about it. For the most part.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:47 AM   #3
DVD Zombie

It's a pretty cool little slasher/psychological horror flick. Some very interesting special effects. I'd definitely recommend it.

~Zombie
Old 04-10-2001, 01:20 PM   #4
fishhead

Thumbs up

Netflix delivered this to my door yesterday and after seeing it, I plan to buy it as soon as possible. It's very very good, guys. I highly recommend it. The DVD itself is very nice too.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:20 PM   #5
K'

Thumbs up

I have the german RC2 DVD since christmas 00.
I really enjoyed the movie in cinema and also on dvd, it has some really interesting and never seen before f/x.
Im looking forward to see a review of this movie here
Old 04-15-2001, 02:21 AM   #6
David666

I must say that I was disappointed with this film. I call it a hybrid of Scream 2 and The Skulls. With moments of inspired mayhem (for example... the man who wakes up to find his hand gone was very cool). But the film was just too predictable for me to like it as anything more then your average slasher flick. It had more cliches then Urban Legend, was more hokey then Scream 3 and had more loopholes then The Skulls. I'd call it average, at the very best. I suggest giving it a rent before plopping down 20 or 25 bucks for it.
Old 04-15-2001, 07:44 AM   #7
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Well, I finally rented this the other night. I didn't really like it. It wasn't nearly as good as THESIS or MUTE WITNESS, two films that it reminded me a bit of initially. Sadly, like the previous poster mentioned, it felt more like URBAN LEGENDS. Oh, well. T

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 10:31 PM   #8
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Smile

You know, I was going to not even bother with this film after reading some reviews comparing it to Scream, Urban Legends and (*UGH*) The Skulls. But I decided to buy it anyway and I actually enjoyed it. I found it far above any of these American slasher "epics" that have been coming out the past couple of years. Not bad at all. There were a few issues I had with it but they're trivial.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 01:13 AM   #9
Johnny Creature

One of the main reasons I enjoyed this movie so much was the way it was shot. It really looks absolutely gorgeous across the board, and the couldn't have picked a better location for the Anatomy lab.

The story itself was so-so, a slight twist on the 'Skulls' type movie, but much better done I thought. It's worth checking out, especially if you've experienced the wonder and greatness that is Netfilx.
Old 04-19-2001, 01:58 AM   #10
fishhead

I don't like Scream, Urban Legends, or similar movies. I didn't bother with Skulls. But somehow, I did like Anatomy. I agree that the sets were fantastic, as well as the props. (As a side note, I wish the museum display that they were based on would come to the US.) I also found the basic premise, doctors gone bad, to be intriguing and not too far from some of the doctors I've had...
Old 04-19-2001, 10:10 PM   #11
AceRimRat

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Creature:
<STRONG>One of the main reasons I enjoyed this movie so much was the way it was shot. It really looks absolutely gorgeous across the board, and the couldn't have picked a better location for the Anatomy lab.

</STRONG>
That's one of the big reasons I liked it too - the atmosphere (atmos-fear?) made up for a lot of the shaky plotting and stuff.

I rented it, but now it's on next month's buy list (I blew this month's budget on HK imports). Probably not for everyone, but still cool.

(Funny way to watch it, I saw posted in a review - put the commentary subtitles on with the English dub...)
Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 AM   #12
John Gargo

Bought this at Walmart a few days ago for $5.50 and I just finished watching it... I didn't start a new thread because the film simply wasn't good enough to merit one, so I'm bumping up this old one... The unfavorable comparisons to SCREAM are spot-on. For a while, though, it looks like it will turn into something pretty good and original, but all we get in the end is a substandard chase scene and meh...

Completely underwhelmed... I'm selling off my disc, and I'm glad I didn't pay more for it.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #13
VideoViolence

Guess I should pick this one up, then. I have passed by it before at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I rewatched this a few nights ago, and it has aged quite nicely. I bought the DVD back when it first came out and enjoyed the film, but mostly just saw it as another glossy post-Scream slasher flick (not a bad thing, I loved the post-Scream slashers).

But Anatomy isn't your typical slasher film, injecting elements of body-horror and cults. I guess I hadn't realized how story driven it was. I think back then, some of the darker and seedier elements of the film went right over my head. Not sure I fully understood the full extent of the Anti-Hippocratic Society and how it ties back to the Nazis, etc. Plus, I think I watched the dubbed version back then for some strange reason, so watching it now with subtitles you don't miss a word.

The slasher elements mix in quite nicely, with some wonderfully tense chase scenes thrown into the mix. The killer is revealed half-way through the movie, yet the movie still manages to keep things interesting throughout the second-half. The characters are all really fun and likable, my favorite being Gretchen, the promiscuous girl who is secretly a genius.

The movie is shot in anamorphic, and is beautiful and easy to look at. I should really pick up the blu-ray, as the DVD transfer is a bit flat and dated. Even though the blu-ray is dirt cheap, I can't bring myself to buy it due to the extras not being carried over. I really like the corny music video for the striptease song. The deleted scenes are really good too, extending some of the suspenseful sequences a bit. They should have left them in the movie.

The teaser at the end of the movie is a fun set-up for a sequel, but the sequel fumbles, dropping the slasher elements entirely and opting for a goofy "superhero" type movie (think Chronicle). It's nothing at all like the first film. It's still a fairly fun movie, but more of a guilty pleasure. The first is just a darker and more satisfying film. I liked it before, but I like it even more now.