I know. I'd prefer Lazerbeaker, myself.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #17
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Breaking:

Artist David Hartman wrote & directed the film. Coscarelli supervised it, though.
wow...it only took a single page of this thread for my hopes to be kindled, then raised, and then suddenly smashed to pieces. As far as I'm concerned, a Phantasm film directed by anyone other than Coscarelli is, by definition, not a Phantasm film.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #18
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

It was filmed, in part, at Reggie's house.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 AM   #19
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
wow...it only took a single page of this thread for my hopes to be kindled, then raised, and then suddenly smashed to pieces. As far as I'm concerned, a Phantasm film directed by anyone other than Coscarelli is, by definition, not a Phantasm film.
If it stars A Michael Baldwin, Reggie Bannister, and Angus Scrimm, and features flying spheres, killer dwarves, interdimensional gateways, then it's pretty hard to NOT define it as a Phantasm film, especially if it gets the approval and supervision of Coscarelli himself. He's been very protective of this series from the getgo and has even rejected reboots and buyouts. I'd be very, very, surprised if it didn't turn out to be completely faithful to Coscarelli's original vision. He sincerely cares about his creation, which is something that I don't quite get from other directors like Sam Raimi or John Carpenter.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #20
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
It was filmed, in part, at Reggie's house.
Why is that sad? You know the house that Jody and Mike lived in in the first film? That was somebody's real life house, too.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #21
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Coscarelli not directing and only supervising does NOT make me feel any better. Just like "Presented by Sam Raimi" means diddly squat, this means that this will be just another first-timer getting his feet wet by directing a horror movie. So how much of "Paranormal Activity" are we going to see in Phantasm V?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #22
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Why is that sad? You know the house that Jody and Mike lived in in the first film? That was somebody's real life house, too.
Man, that was the 70's.

Today, David DeCoteau shoots nearly everything he does at his house. Takes on a whole different vibe... not the one you'd expect.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #23
Nailwraps
HackMaster

This doesn't bother me at all. At least Coscarelli has SOME involvement, better that than nothing at all.

Anyway, uber excited for this!!!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #24
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
If it stars A Michael Baldwin, Reggie Bannister, and Angus Scrimm, and features flying spheres, killer dwarves, interdimensional gateways, then it's pretty hard to NOT define it as a Phantasm film, especially if it gets the approval and supervision of Coscarelli himself. He's been very protective of this series from the getgo and has even rejected reboots and buyouts. I'd be very, very, surprised if it didn't turn out to be completely faithful to Coscarelli's original vision. He sincerely cares about his creation, which is something that I don't quite get from other directors like Sam Raimi or John Carpenter.
I hope you're right man, I truly do. If this turns out to be an appropriate conclusion, then I'll be just as happy as everyone else. But that just seems like a really long shot, and the fact that Coscarelli didn't direct it is definitely not a good sign.

Last edited by dave13; 03-26-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #25
Body Boy
HackMaster

On one hand I'm very excited for Phantasm V. On the other, I thought IV was a PERFECT closure to the series, so while it's great we're adding to the legacy, I hope it packs a finale that does justice to the story.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
On one hand I'm very excited for Phantasm V. On the other, I thought IV was a PERFECT closure to the series, so while it's great we're adding to the legacy, I hope it packs a finale that does justice to the story.
I also am very content with the way they wrapped it up with Oblivion. But if I have any fear, it's that it's been so long that inevitably there's going to be a ton of folks who will be disappointed in what is made unless it has production value equal to or greater than Phantasm 2 did. Honestly, I just don't see that happening. But as long as they stick to trying to please the hardcore Phans among us and forget about everybody else then it should turn out okay.

Without knowing any more, if I was to take a guess I would say that only the principle photography has been shot. I imagine that there'd have to still be a ton of post production work left to finish (special effects, retakes, editing and the like). There's just no way that in this day and age they have even close to having a finished product on their hands without it ever being leaked.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
sade
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
I will need to revisit IV. All I can remember is being mostly flashbacks/footage from the other ones.
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
Steel76
Maniac

I donīt know... Coscarelli not being behind the wheel is a bit worrying, and so is the big secret behind the making of the film.
I wonder if the original cast are the leads in the movie, or if itīs only cameos?
Will keep my expectations low for the time being.
This better not be an ultra cheap found-footage installment
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
I wonder if the original cast are the leads in the movie, or if itīs only cameos?
One of the reasons I'm concerned is that the Shock Til You Drop post phrased it this way:

Quote:
The original cast members put in appearances along with some Don Coscarelli regulars.
It's certainly open to interpretation, but it sounds like they could just be a bunch of cameos. Hopefully not.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
One of the reasons I'm concerned is that the Shock Til You Drop post phrased it this way:

It's certainly open to interpretation, but it sounds like they could just be a bunch of cameos. Hopefully not.
This series has absolutely no future at all if they don't introduce some new blood. Scrimm realistically only has a few years left to live and Reggie is close to 70. The original series ended with Oblivion as far as I'm concerned so if Coscarelli wants to take this opportunity to segue into a new direction but keep it in the same universe then I'm all for it. It's either doing it this way or the dreaded remake/reboot. Take your pick.