Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #46
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift View Post
Cautiously optimistic. I don't have a problem with someone new writing and directing it. I mean, we all saw parts II-IV right? You're really clamoring for more of the same of that? I think a new perspective could give the series a much-needed shot in the arm. It's not like anyone wanted George Lucas to write/direct Episode 7, right?
The point is that Coscarelli had an underlying theme and vision, and new direction without what the previous 4 films allude to could essentially be the intellectual equivalency to a remake. With his blessing though, this could be fine.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #47
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
The point is that Coscarelli had an underlying theme and vision, and new direction without what the previous 4 films allude to could essentially be the intellectual equivalency to a remake. With his blessing though, this could be fine.
Raimi also gave his blessing, and that turned out to be a love it or hate it kind of thing. The key difference I see here is that Raimi gave his blessing for a remake; Coscarelli gave his blessing for a direct sequel. In the intervening years Raimi had gone on to become a major Hollywood Film Director. The Evil Dead was merely a stepping stone for "greater" things. In contrast, Phantasm has always been considered Coscarelli's greatest success. It's his baby, and as such he has been very protective and proud of it down through the years. I would frankly be flabbergasted if he let some untalented upstart come in and ruin the series. If he wanted to do that then he could have done it way back in the 90s.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #48
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Why is that sad? You know the house that Jody and Mike lived in in the first film? That was somebody's real life house, too.
Gee, really?

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #49
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
In contrast, Phantasm has always been considered Coscarelli's greatest success. It's his baby, and as such he has been very protective and proud of it down through the years. I would frankly be flabbergasted if he let some untalented upstart come in and ruin the series. If he wanted to do that then he could have done it way back in the 90s.
Given that, though, why wouldn't he direct it himself? If Peter Jackson passed a sequel to Braindead on to a newbie director, I'd understand because he's moved on to a different scale of movie-making. If George Romero passed a new Dead sequel onto somebody else, I'd understand that too because he's getting pretty old and at some point will probably not have the energy to keep going. But I just can't understand why somebody like Coscarelli, who is still making oddball, small-budget films, and appears to still have a lot of enthusiasm for the industry, would pass this on to somebody else. It's not like he's super busy, or anything. He has literally made only 2 films since Phantasm IV came out 16 years ago!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #50
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Given that, though, why wouldn't he direct it himself? If Peter Jackson passed a sequel to Braindead on to a newbie director, I'd understand because he's moved on to a different scale of movie-making. If George Romero passed a new Dead sequel onto somebody else, I'd understand that too because he's getting pretty old and at some point will probably not have the energy to keep going. But I just can't understand why somebody like Coscarelli, who is still making oddball, small-budget films, and appears to still have a lot of enthusiasm for the industry, would pass this on to somebody else. It's not like he's super busy, or anything. He has literally made only 2 films since Phantasm IV came out 16 years ago!
That's a good question that'll have to be answered by Coscarelli himself at some point. But if you go back and look at his filmography on imdb, he has personally written every screenplay he has ever directed. Maybe he loved the guy's script but directing somebody else's words is outside of his comfort zone. Hopefully Don will do an interview soon. If this really ISN'T an April Fools Joke, that is.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #51
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/2...ler-exclusive/

It's been confirmed by Coscarelli and we have a trailer! In an age where we seem to know every beat of the making of a film from casting decisions to plot lines years before a release, I love how the Phantasm team was able to keep Part V under wraps the way they have. When was the last time you heard a definitive announcement of a film and then two days later the trailer was revealed? Let alone this happening for a film in a cult favorite series where fans are always digging for the latest news. I really hope this gets distribution this year and is able to come out on the franchise's 35th anniversary. I can't wait to see how the saga of Mike, Reggie, Jody, and The Tall Man wraps up.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #52
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Doesn't look too bad.

Glad they are making it the final film. The story needs closure (Oblivion was NOT perfect closure to the series).
Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #53
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Doesn't look too bad.

Glad they are making it the final film. The story needs closure (Oblivion was NOT perfect closure to the series).
I really enjoy Oblivion, especially the ending. But you're right, while I thought it was a very interesting and unique ending for that film, it didn't wrap up the series in a satisfactory manner. At least for me.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #54
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/2...ler-exclusive/

It's been confirmed by Coscarelli and we have a trailer! In an age where we seem to know every beat of the making of a film from casting decisions to plot lines years before a release, I love how the Phantasm team was able to keep Part V under wraps the way they have. When was the last time you heard a definitive announcement of a film and then two days later the trailer was revealed? Let alone this happening for a film in a cult favorite series where fans are always digging for the latest news. I really hope this gets distribution this year and is able to come out on the franchise's 35th anniversary. I can't wait to see how the saga of Mike, Reggie, Jody, and The Tall Man wraps up.
I had to watch it without sound, as I'm at work, but....against my better judgement....I have to admit I got a little excited watching it. some of the effects (the giant sphere) look rather cheap, but the charm of Phantasm was never dependant on "realistic" looking effects, so that is in no way a deal breaker for me. The concept of a giant sphere is pretty cool.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #55
Dave
Pimp

Holy fuck!!! Unbelievable.

How the hell did they keep this quiet?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #56
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

It's on youtube now.

http://youtu.be/X1wOobOGa4w

I downloaded the HD version of it. Looks rather nice. Quite excited for this.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #57
Dave
Pimp

phantasm.com is displaying it now, too.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #58
maybrick
HackMaster

Holy shit that brought tears to my eyes! Have they already made the final cut? Because if they haven't, they'd be insane not to do a Kickstarter type of thing to get more money for effects work. Even though my wife is currently in nursing school and I couldn't really afford it, I'd still throw a Benjamin his way and I'm sure a lot of other fans would do the same!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #59
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Hell yes! Can't wait.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #60
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

I am incredibly impressed with how they managed to keep this quiet till now. I missed the feeling of having no idea about a film untill you saw the trailer. They did an amazing job keeping this all under wraps.