Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Don't Go in the Woods to be released in the UK via 88 Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88films.co.uk
Don’t go in the Woods was filmed in 35mm and, as such, the opportunity has arisen for 88 to release this puppy on BluRay. The elements remain and we are thrilled to announce that, getting its UK debut soon, will be this outrageous example of eighties horror hokum (believe it or not, the film played in America on a cinematic double bill with The Hills Have Eyes).

But, of course, the all important question will doubtlessly remain: just how will the legendary closing theme sound on this new remaster?

We are, naturally, as curious as you…
http://www.88films.co.uk/blog.html
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Code Red will beat this. In content, release date & transfer quality.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
Code Red will beat this. In content, release date & transfer quality.
I'm not sure if Code Red still has the rights to this film or not.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

I could be wrong. But Code Red plays games...I expect un-peeped surprises. The 88 films/Code Red is forming an upcoming release pattern/connection. It's sure looking as though they do...but 88 films get's all the news coverage. If not, I'll go region free if needed just to see this one. But meanwhile, I'm just going to keep checking Code Red's cartel daily & nightly.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
I could be wrong.
Yup.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 AM   #6
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Or, I could be right. 88 films has how many exclusives?

Last edited by gunner; 07-16-2014 at 02:40 AM.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
I could be wrong. But Code Red plays games...I expect un-peeped surprises. The 88 films/Code Red is forming an upcoming release pattern/connection. It's sure looking as though they do...but 88 films get's all the news coverage. If not, I'll go region free if needed just to see this one. But meanwhile, I'm just going to keep checking Code Red's cartel daily & nightly.
Uh... ok... what's this release pattern/connection you are talking about? Neither company has released any of the same releases or has any connection... other than they both release DVDs and Blu-rays. And as mentioned, his contract with Don't Go could be run out.

The only reason Code Red plays games is because that's Bill's one and only tactic to get people to buy his stuff.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Historically, no. But yesterday Unhinged & DGitW were announced by 88. Both Code Red releases. A member here said Code Red may have an expired contract on Woods. That info is from a customer and is speculation. They've released 2 dvds...special edition full frame and double feature (with The Forest) 16x9 widescreen...which sucked btw. The only direction they'd go is blu-ray, and 88 films seems to be more interested in releasing other folks properties. To say 88 Films landed DGitW's rights and have produced the release themselves sounds far more exaggerated than my guesses.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Historically, no. But yesterday Unhinged & DGitW were announced by 88. Both Code Red releases. A member here said Code Red may have an expired contract on Woods. That info is from a customer and is speculation. They've released 2 dvds...special edition full frame and double feature (with The Forest) 16x9 widescreen...which sucked btw. The only direction they'd go is blu-ray, and 88 films seems to be more interested in releasing other folks properties. To say 88 Films landed DGitW's rights and have produced the release themselves sounds far more exaggerated than my guesses.
Doesn't mean they are licensing the films from Code Red though, it's more likely/accurate that they are signing licenses with the rights owners as most distributors do. Again, this is speculation, but also the norm when it comes to distribution, Code Red probably does have only the US or North American market. The licensor, to make more money potentially, will license separate territories for a property. And to use your quote, "releases other folks properties", that is the definition of a distributor (such as Code Red or 88 Films). And as to the transfers it all depends on the contract. Sometimes a master is already made by the licensor, other times it's free reign for the distributor to use what ever materials they can come across.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

It's a varied business, and a cottage industry. A German company has already released a DVD of DGitW. It used code red's transfer (earlier, cruder version) and many of their extras. It eliminated the soundtrack score on the English language version. And code red was a huge part of that import's release. I look at 88 films as a piggyback company... much like the above mentioned german company. To say they've gone on their own and are producing an independent release to other labels work (like code red & synapse does). I just have trouble seeing that. But you never know....if that's the case, I'll go region free for blu-ray. I really don't think I'll have to though.
This is coming from code red!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Steel76
Maniac

The German company was bootleggers, and have ripped a few of Code Red´s discs.
88 Films has not.
They are also releasing Troma movies like Toxic Avanger and Graduation Day and a huge bunch of Full Moon movies.
Even if a company has the rights for a US release, doesn´t mean that they can hold the movie hostage and not let a European company buy the rights to release that same movie over here.

MANY labels around the world releases their own versions of the exact same movies, and many of them either share the same transfers and extras, or they have an exclusive transfer etc.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Demoni
HackMaster

Why does a legit company like 88Film wants to have something to do with a company like Code Red???

Given Code Red´s owner´s history of compulsive disorder problems, would any company wants their name affiliated with Code Red´s? Dont´think so...
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Lol, code red is good enough for scream factory, but not 88? 88's already got scorpion's label under their belt. And even troma & full moon for christsakes. I don't think any of their releases rely on fan love of the particular label's chief. All their stuff is their own.
The German lease was 100% legit and got released before code red's did. Shorter versions of interviews, etc. It was talked about on this forum years ago by brad comfort, bill....or to ever is truly code red. You speak of the CR label like it's not established in the community.

Last edited by gunner; 07-16-2014 at 09:34 PM.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Global rights vary by each title. Sometimes its a person. Such as nail gun massacre. Maybe James Bryan owns dgitw? Damned if I know. But without a doubt an american blu release is going to happen. Scorpion or Code Red will be the label.
That's my prediction. Watch it happen.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Lol, code red is good enough for scream factory, but not 88? 88's already got scorpion's label under their belt. And even troma & full moon for christsakes. I don't think any of their releases rely on fan love of the particular label's chief. All their stuff is their own.
The German lease was 100% legit and got released before code red's did. Shorter versions of interviews, etc. It was talked about on this forum years ago by brad comfort, bill....or to ever is truly code red. You speak of the CR label like it's not established in the community.
If you read my post carefully, you will noticed that I never said Code Red wasn´t good enough for 88Films, or that that I never said Code Red was not established.

First, Code Red and Scorpion are only distributors, but Troma and Full Moon are also the producers behind their movies.

If 88Films released something that Core Red or Scorpion already released, that doesn´t mean that both companies are involved with that particular release of with 88Films. On the other hand, if 88Films release something from Troma or Full Moon, that´s entirely the opposite as they are also the producers of said movie.