Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-27-2002, 06:16 AM   #16
McBride_01

The Kingdom is AWESOME! A friend taped me the first one from his DVD (the opening meeting was intact) and I got the second one on IFC. They show both on IFC from time to time. Check them out!

I've also got a copy of Lars von Trier's The Element of Crime taped from IFC but haven't watched it yet. Any comments on this one?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:13 AM   #17
Yowie
Hologram

Not a big von Trier fan, but "Element Of Crime" is (together with "Zentropa") my favorite of his, very atmospheric with its yellow look. As most von Trier movies it's a little weird, more than a little weird actually, and not to everyone's taste. Actor Michael Elphick, who plays the detective, died recently.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:49 PM   #18
Bish

The choices for The Kingdom are.....

Taiwan R0 (NTSC) as pictured earlier (Forel)
All the Von Trier monologues are on the disc but none of them are subtitled. This is uncut.

UK R2 (PAL)
This only has two of the monologues but they are subtitled. Sadly this disc is cut, only by about 5 seconds for animal cruelty (rat shooting scene). To make up for this the disc does contain an hour long documentary 'Tranceformer - A Portrait of Lars von Trier' Directed by Stig Bjorkman. This is also available on the Criterion disc of "The Element of CrimeĒ

Canadian R1 (NTSC)
If youíre not bothered about the documentary then this is currently the best version. Itís uncut and is complete with all the monologues fully subtitled

Werner Von Wallenrod: what country is your PAL disc from?
Old 10-27-2002, 11:47 PM   #19
Werner Von Wallenrod

Mine's the UK R2 PAL disc (you can get from Blackstar, etc). It's definitely missing more than 5 seconds (see my previous posts). Where can you get this Canadian disc? This is the first I've heard of it... And is there a Canadian version of Kingdom 2, as well?
Old 10-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #20
Werner Von Wallenrod

Never mind. I found the Canadian version easy enough. Thanks for the heads up; it shall be mine.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:56 PM   #21
Werner Von Wallenrod

I'm back.
OK, how come the description for the Canadian discs says the Kingdom was "Filmed for Danish television in four separate hour-long episodes--'The Unheavenly Host,' 'Thy Kingdom Come,' 'The Living Dead,' and 'A Foreign Body'," while my UK disc has five ('The Unheavenly Host,' 'Kingdom Come,' 'Hark & Ye Shall Hear,' 'The Living Dead,' and 'A Foreign Body')? I got that from videoflicks.com. Are they just wrong, I hope, or is that version missing something, too?
Old 10-28-2002, 10:14 PM   #22
Bish

As far as Iím aware the series was shown as 4 episodes running for just over an hour each. Later this was changed to a 5 episode structure running approx 50 min each.. I always thought that the Canadian disc was the 5 episode version. Can anyone who owns this confirm it?

Iíve sold my Forel disc and I canít remember if it had 4 or 5 episodes.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:15 PM   #23
Fart Lighter

where can I get the canadian one then? IS there supposed to be a monlogue at the start of each episde or something like that?
Old 10-29-2002, 11:58 PM   #24
Bish

The monologues appeared at the end of each episode. Try Canadian suppliers like DVDBoxoffice, Amazon.ca & DV-Depot.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:58 AM   #25
Werner Von Wallenrod

I just got it - yes, the Canadian disc has all five episodes (videoflicks was just stupid). And, yes, for the record, it features that opening meeting scene (and all of Lars' talks, translated!).
Old 11-07-2002, 02:47 PM   #26
Bish

So just to clarify the UK version actually has a scene missing and is not cut by just 2 seconds as previously thought.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #27
Werner Von Wallenrod

Yep - It has more than just that one scene missing, too. I just picked that one scene 'cause it was just easy to find (right near the beginning) to reference. ...And it's missing three of the Trier monologues.
Canadian = the best disc.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:43 AM   #28
Werner Von Wallenrod

The new Kingdom boxset (PAL, R2) kicks all the other DVD releases collective asses.
It features both the Kingdom I and II, is uncut (unlike the UK disc), includes all of the speeches, with good subtitles (unlike the HK disc) and is loaded with extras (audio commentary by Trier, Niels Versel, and Molly Stensgard, a 25 minute documentary on the series, a 40 minute doc on Trier, a collection of "outrageous newspaper commercials" directed by Trier, a really weird music video for the theme song starring Trier, bloopers for tha music video, and a collection of trailers for Trier's films - all with English subs!). ...The Kingdom 1 is the four episode version, though; not the five.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:47 PM   #29
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Von Wallenrod
The new Kingdom boxset (PAL, R2) kicks all the other DVD releases collective asses.
It features both the Kingdom I and II, is uncut (unlike the UK disc), includes all of the speeches, with good subtitles (unlike the HK disc) and is loaded with extras (audio commentary by Trier, Niels Versel, and Molly Stensgard, a 25 minute documentary on the series, a 40 minute doc on Trier, a collection of "outrageous newspaper commercials" directed by Trier, a really weird music video for the theme song starring Trier, bloopers for tha music video, and a collection of trailers for Trier's films - all with English subs!). ...The Kingdom 1 is the four episode version, though; not the five.

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. I was searching to see if there was ever a thread about (Riget) The Kindom.

I have the boxset also, it kills all the other versions...and I've had all the other versions at one point or another. The VHS set at first, then the Hong Kong DVD's of 1 & 2, and then I bought the Canadian 2DVD set of part 1...and now I am the proud owner of the 4 disc boxset. It is indeed fully uncut and the subtitles are much better and removeable, not to mention being available in 7 or 8 languages! I was also very surprised that all the bonus material from the featurettes to the commentary tracks all have optional English subtitles! I didn't know this before I raked out $80 for it, I was pleasantly surprised having accepted that the bonus material would probably be in Danish/Swedish.

Xploited still has it in stock at a nice price if anyone is interested in getting the boxset. It is strictly limited, so I would recommend buying now or forever hold your peace. http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1249
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #30
MaxRenn
Stalker

This is being remade as a TV series written by Stephen King

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324864/

This means we may get a new R1 release of the original
MaxRenn is offline   Reply With Quote