Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #91
Chunkblower
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
One of the most pointless remakes yet...
I liked it well enough, but I can't disagree with this at all. I'd hoped that it was going to be a closer adaptation of Stephen King's novel but instead it clearly uses Lawrence Cohen's 1976 screenplay as its source. I liked Moretz and Moore. Everybody else is just kinda there, never distinguishing nor embarrassing themselves, though after DePalma's original and the 2002 TV miniseries, the convention is that Sue Snell has dark, curly hair. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING ELSE. Also, Chris in the remake comes off as more of a brat than the truly vicious monster she is in the book, DePalma's original...just about every iteration of this story, in fact.

It's one of those middle-of-the-road remakes which, while not terrible, doesn't do nearly enough to justify it's existence. It is, however, Screen Gem's best horror remake to date, which is as dubious a distinction as I can imagine.

Now, after a book, two movies, a sequel, a TV movie and a Broadway musical I think it's safe to say that everything that needs to be said about Carietta White has been, and we close the book on this story and move on.

Last edited by Chunkblower; 10-21-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #92
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkblower View Post
Now, after a book, two movies, a sequel, a TV movie and a Broadway musical I think it's safe to say that everything that needs to be said about Carietta White has been, and we close the book on this story and movie on.
Naw, I'm holding out for the video game (suddenly, I'm imagining an 8-bit Nintendo version of Carrie sliding back and forth trying to avoid buckets of blood)

I just wish you all would realize that no matter how much you slam this movie on internet message boards, the studio got your money on opening weekend, and that's all they were looking for. They won.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #93
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I just wish you all would realize that no matter how much you slam this movie on internet message boards, the studio got your money on opening weekend, and that's all they were looking for. They won.
Again, I don't bemoan remakes. I want to give them my money for reimagings of stories I love and grew up with. I just don't want them to be as bad as some of them, like Carrie, are.

And given Carrie's box office figures, I'm not sure they "won", anyway. The movie was shelved for a while, needed reshooting, double the advertising dollars because of the last minute delay and a pretty subpar BO finish given the strong cache of the source material.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #94
NaturesMistake
Stalker

Yeah, I felt the pacing and the constant jump scares ruined Amityville 05. I liked the subtlety of the original. James Brolin's character ark was also pretty unsettling. I feel on the whole, horror films are getting better since the mid to early millennial decade. The remake was just too CGI plastered and was a product of its time (there were a few good horror films but far more ADD laden special effect fests). The art of scaring with the recent films of James Wan seems to have come back.

Yeah, saw Carrie opening night and there were plenty of seats left. I haven't looked to see what it actually grossed however.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #95
Cydeous
Axxon N

I liked the remake but it wasn't as good as the original and it didn't have anything new to offer. Luckily the CGI wasn't over the top but it could have been toned down a little more. Julianne Moore was good as Margaret White but Piper Laurie had that true look of crazy. Chloe Moretz was better at playing Carrie than I expected but Sissy Spacek was perfect in the role. Still, I enjoyed it.