Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 01-22-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
STREET TRASH
Synthicide

Visiting Hours

Here's a rather refreshing slasher film (a bit of an oxymoron, I know. Anyway..) Lee Grant stars as a TV journalist who, after giving her editorial on women's rights attracts the attention of a real misogynistic psychopath (Michael Ironside). He breaks into her home one night and brutally attacks Grant – in one hell of a suspenseful sequence I must say . Things do not go accordingly and after a botched murder attempt Grant is brought to a local medical center in need of surgery after suffering a few bumps, bruises and deep slash wounds. Of course, Ironside follows and what ensues is a long winding cat-and-mouse game.

Good slasher flick with strong performances – especially Ironside as the calm and collected killer. He doesn’t have many lines of dialogue but it makes him a much more ominous presence this way. Like an unstoppable Michael Myers-esque killing machine. A few of the murders are a bit mean-spirited – for instance, the old woman who’s oxygen machine is cut loose. We watch as she gasps mercilessly for air, all the while Ironside snaps photos of his nefarious deed. There isn’t much gore, unfortunately, but William Shatner DOES turn up!! - Looking young, healthy and very non-Capt. Kirk.

Last edited by STREET TRASH; 01-22-2003 at 11:00 PM.
STREET TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:19 PM   #2
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

ah yes one of the good ol u.k. video nasties

ironside definetly gives an over the top nutty performance

i love the scene where he smashes his arm on a table
filled with broken glass
speanroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
Zodiac-Mindwarp

I have not seen this movie around anywhere for years. Is it finallyout on DVD? And if it is, wherecan I get it?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp
I have not seen this movie around anywhere for years. Is it finally out on DVD? And if it is, where can I get it?
I wish it was out on DVD! Fox might still have the rights, but it'll be a cold day in hell before they release it.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:22 AM   #5
Richard Anthony
Stalker

VISITING HOURS is a favorite of mine. A very good, and effective 80's Slasher film, with strong performances from Michael Ironside, Lee Grant, and especially Linda Purl. She is terrific in this film.

I own the long OOP Fox VHS, and I also would love to see it turn up on DVD. However, I don't we will be seeing it anytime soon.
Richard Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:39 AM   #6
Joel Groce

One of the very best slashers!!!

This is one of the keepers, great creepy Spinell-like performance from Michael Ironside, loads of creepiness, good scares, sleaziness, everything I want to see in a slasher... hopefully it will come to DVD sooner or later...
Old 01-23-2003, 04:06 AM   #7
Zodiac-Mindwarp

Well thanks for letting me know so that I will not end up looking everywhere for the DVD.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
BlazingMagnum

Yeah! Visiting Hours is awesome! I've still got my old uncut tape!
There was a cracking double-bill poster of Visiting Hours & Escape From New York! Wicked stuff.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:31 AM   #9
Hernster

This is, so far, the only so-called video nasty that's been shown uncut on normal T.V. in the U.K (on ITV for U.K. posters). It did get complaint's though. Probably to do with the Shat's acting. LOL.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:17 AM   #10
patmcgahern

Why whats Cut???
Old 01-25-2003, 11:32 AM   #11
legnadibrom

poop

i rented this flick last year merely because of ironside, but it is a cut above rest in that it has an actual plot with actors that can really act
Old 01-25-2003, 11:34 AM   #12
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Ah, this was a good flick. Would make a great Double Feature with Hospital Massacre

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 01:25 PM   #13
Hernster

Quote:
Originally posted by patmcgahern
Why whats Cut???

Sorry, I've no idea. Not even seen the film either!
Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 PM   #14
BlazingMagnum

Visiting Hours was never officially on the DPP list - so it was never really a 'Video Nasty'. It was taken off the 'banned' list and not given a new certificate for video release until 1986.
It's currently unavailable in the UK - either because nobody's thought to release it, or whoever owns the distribution rights doesn't know it!

The original X rated release was cut in the UK, and I think the version released later was the same print.

Last edited by BlazingMagnum; 01-25-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
Ravenheart

I haven't seen this in years but I agree that Michael Ironside did a really good job in his role of the killer.This is one I'd love to add to my collection.