10 years of DVD: So what's left?

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Peoples Icon

Peoples Icon Guest

THE HAUNTING with sally kirkland

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I stand corrected.

3. BrianR1982

BrianR1982 New Member

My excuse is that I don't really give a shit. Everything I "need" is available on Region 1 or 0. I'm quite satisfied, for now anyway.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's kind of my stance. I'm region free but the only thing I own is the Phantasm sphere. There are movies right now that are only available outside of R1 but it's only a matter of time before they come here as well. I can hold off until then. In the meantime, there's still plenty of R1 titles that I still haven't bought.

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

That's fair enough. But if there are titles you do want - and they're out elsewhere - why not get them? If you don't care enough to bother, fair enough. But listing films you're eager for, when they're out elsewhere, seems a tad strange.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Again, there is no excuse. If you don't care, that's fine. But to say price is a consideration is just silly considering how many affordable region free players there are.

If you can afford the DVDs, you can afford the player.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well it ain't cheap to import DVDs. Shipping can end up costing more than a single DVD. I may give Shock 'Em Dead a spin if I can get it for less than $10, but shipping alone discounts that idea.

Normally I just import stuff that simply will not wash up on our shores, stuff like the original color timing for Oldboy which isn't even available in Korea anymore.

I'd say in a majority of cases, it's best just to wait.

8. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I'm region free, and I never order outside of R1. Some of my R2 movies (like Anchor Bay's Hellraiser Box Set) skip to hell in back in the video, but the audio is ok. Yet, I watch What Have They Done to Your Daughters and Eyeball and there's no video skips at all.

Its weird, I've had 2 DVD players and they both do the same exact things with those certain DVDs. I don't want to put more money down importing a flick then turn around have it have flickery video you know? Anyone know if theres any hacks for the Xbox 360 to go region free?

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

This is why I don't buy many DVDs from overseas. I got Harry and The Hendersons for $19 through Amazon.co.uk. Two months later, it came out in R1 and was $10. It pays to wait in my opinion, unless you really think you need it.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Those who mention Lost Highway, it's out on dvd. I've had it for a few years now. I picked it up at K-mart sometime back for only $5. I believe it was one of those budget Canadian releases, but it is out on dvd.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

12. Dbone

Dbone Guest

Right On. Nothing could beat that ABUK disc anyways. Universal can shit on a totem pole, bastards. ABUK can be very hit-or-miss though, but at least they give the people what they want to see.

Discs that are MIA -
    The Unholy (Ben Cross, Hal Holbrook)
    My Demon Lover
    Mannequin Too: On The Move (scariest fucking movie ever made, Exorcist eat your heart out)
    Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (Lionsgate would give us a shitty release anyway)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  13. Dbone

Dbone Guest

Ahhh, I've had the same problem my friend. Some companies like Anchor Bay UK sometimes use a NTSC master for a PAL release.They are too cheap to make a new PAL master so they use the NTSC one. The difference in frame rates is what causes the skips or hiccups. Sometimes they aren't too bad but other times can be really annoying. Most ABUK movies that were released after their US counterparts have this problem.

Phantasm is an example of one of the titles that does not use an NTSC master, it was released in the UK long before the ABUS disc. A good way to tell if an R2 disc is a NTSC to PAL conversion is to look at the runtime, it will be the same as the R1 disc. The will be no 4% speedup(or shorter runtime) . I use IMDB as a source to check runtimes before I buy an import.

I guess you take a chance with anything you buy. I think I'll start a thread on this issue of NTSC->PAL Discs.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would love a Death Weekend DVD or how about a half decent DVD of Rituals.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

TONS of films and old TV shows and animation which are only on VHS and Laserdisc.

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Thank you, that helps me out alot as far as figuring out the mystery of my R2 discs. You should really start that thread too, that way people can contribute similar issues. Perhaps I can buy a few more R2 discs without having to worry now. :)

17. sundownrider

sundownrider Guest

Pretty much what already got added.

Don't Go To Sleep, Edge of the Axe, Dark night of the Scarecrow, Hospital Massacre, town that dreaded sundown.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

With a terrible Pan & Scan transfer though. The R2 and R4 two-disc editions are 16x9 widescreen.

19. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Night Warning
    House on Straw Hill
    Absurd (I think the current R2 are OOP)
    Mardi Gras Massacre (OOP, I think)
    Drop Dead Dearest
    Dorm That Dripped Blood needs a better release
    Night School
    Human Experiments
    The Slayer needs better release.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

yeah, the transfer is pretty bad. appears to be a direct VHS copy. However, it does exist, and in other regions as well (as you have mentioned).