Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

As most will agree, 2016 was pretty fucking weak on many levels. If you look at the list of horror movies released this year, saying it's a forgettable year would be an understatement for most. Sure there was a few good offerings as even the worsts of years will produce. But beyond the world of horror, politically it was an absolutely cringe worthy gong show. Socially even worse. The violence you see on the news on a daily basis is making us so numb the word depraved has lost it's meaning. Just when you thought you've read the worst story humanly imaginable, the next day something will Trump it (pun intended)

So there has to be something to look forward to, right? 2017 has to AT LEAST give us some top notch horror to anticipate. One can only hope that is.

So what has been officially announced, slated for 2017 that you're looking forward to? Quick search online I found the following for theatrical releases:

The Bye Bye Man 1/13/2017 Three college students accidentally unleash an evil entity known as "The Bye Bye Man". Seen the trailer. Could go either way. Probably not something to really look forward to.

Underworld: Blood Wars Anna Foerster 1/6/2017 Kate Beckinsale returns for the 5th film of the franchise. Never been my cup of tea but I'm sure a lot of you are really looking forward to this one.

Split 1/20/2017 Theatrical M. Night Shyamalan’s next film will be a suspense/thriller with supernatural elements. M Night Shalalamalon flicks are always hit or miss for horror fans. We shall see with this one.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 1/27/2017 Sixth installment of the Resident Evil series. Another series that has never appealed to me. But again, I'm sure a lot of anticipation for genre fans comes with this.

Rings 2/3/2017 Set 13 years after the events of The Ring. MEH

Get Out 2/24/2017 Written and directed by Jordan Peele, Get Out will be a horror comedy exploring race based tensions. I personally cannot wait for this one. I think the trailer looks amazing.

The Belko Experiment 3/17/2017 Action Horror about a group of American expatriates living in Brazil who find themselves trapped in their workplace where they are forced to kill each other or be killed themselves This one looks all kinds of awesome. I'm all over this.

Alien: Covenant 5/19/2017 Prometheus sequel with Michael Fassbender & Noomi Rapace returning. Looks cool.....we shall see.

Annabelle 2 8/11/2017 A prequel to Annabelle that explains the doll's dark origins. I really dig the teaser trailer they released, with the little girl at the table with Annabelle. Pretty eerie.

Friday The 13th 10/13/2017 The 13th installment of the popular horror franchise. Firstly, I'll believe it when I see it. And when it hits theaters, I'll be first in line.

Insidious: Chapter 4 10/20/2017 Lin Shaye will reprise her role as Elise Rainier while other cast members are unknown at this stage. You know, I have not ever sat down and watched one of the Insidious flicks. They're on number 4 now? I should probably get on that. Although it takes a lot for me to check out a PG13 theatrical horror effort but there is a solid fanbase for these.

Saw: Legacy 10/27/2017 Predestination directors Michael and Peter Spierig will helm the latest film in the Saw franchise. Tobin Bell rumored to return asJigsaw. Gave up on these flicks a long time ago. I'll check out if it gets glowing reviews from you guys.

We're Wolves TBD (2017) Sequel to the wildly popular horror/comedy What We Do In The Shadows. I was one of many who was pleasantly surprised when I caught What We Do in the Shadows. I was not expected to be THAT entertained.

Jeepers Creepers 3 TBD (2017) The film takes place several years after the first film and follows "Trish" from the first film who is now a rich and powerful woman determined to defeat The Creeper once and for all. Another one I'll put under the category of "I'll believe it when I see it". I absolutely adore part 1, part 2 is months worth of dirty tangled dingleberries at the bottom of the shower drain. But I'll be all in to check out part 3.

Trick 'r Treat 2 TBD (2017) Sequel to the cult classic horror anthology centered on Halloween.

Here's to 2017. You're not exactly following the best footsteps. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. sade

sade Active Member

2016 gave us a kick-ass season of "Ash vs Evil dead" and that's enough for me !

Workshed likes this.
  3. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

The Belko Experiment and Alien: Covenant are both high on my must see list for next year. If I had to add a few to this list, it would be:

A Cure for Wellness (2/17/17) - An ambitious young executive is sent to retrieve his company's CEO from an idyllic but mysterious "wellness center" at a remote location in the Swiss Alps. He soon suspects that the spa's miraculous treatments are not what they seem.

XX (2/17/17) - An all female horror anthology featuring new work from Karyn Kusama, Annie Clark, Roxanne Benjamin and Jovanka Vuckovic.

Raw (3/10/17) - When a young vegetarian undergoes a carnivorous hazing ritual at vet school, an unbidden taste for meat begins to grow in her.

The Bad Batch (TBA) - A dystopian love story in a Texas wasteland and set in a community of cannibals.

Colossal (TBA) - A woman discovers that severe catastrophic events are somehow connected to the mental breakdown from which she's suffering.

The Devil's Candy (TBA) - A struggling painter is possessed by satanic forces after he and his young family move into their dream home in rural Texas, in this creepy haunted-house tale.

Offensive (TBA) - A mature couple move to rural France only to find their picturesque retirement shattered by a gang of local thugs. When it becomes clear that the petty hooliganism is turning deadly, this mild-mannered elderly couple have no choice but to take their bloody revenge. A vicious, gory battle of the generations ensues.

Safe Neighborhood (TBA) - On a quiet suburban street, a babysitter must defend a twelve-year-old boy from intruders, only to discover it's far from a normal home invasion.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

These are at the top of my must-see list, along with McG's The Babysitter, Leatherface, Wrong Turn 7, and even though it was technically released this year but was impossible to see, Wolves At The Door. Excited to check out the Slenderman documentary hitting HBO in January as well. Also game for the proposed Friday The 13th sequel planned for October, but I'm skeptical this is even happening.

[​IMG]

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

2016 proved that the human race itself needs to be utterly abolished.

Anthropophagus and x666x like this.
  6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Belko Experiment was fine for one viewing. Hopefully not indicative of 2017 horror though.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

still patiently waiting for Leatherface!

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

After perusing some of the listings at IMDB for 2017:

Split (Director: M. Night Shyamalan | Stars: Anya Taylor-Joy, James McAvoy, Haley Lu Richardson, Kim Director) 01/20/2017: After three girls are kidnapped by a man with 24 dual personalities they must find some of the different personalities that can help them while running away and staying alive from the others.

Eloise
    (Director: Robert Legato | Stars: Eliza Dushku, Robert Patrick, Chace Crawford, Brandon T. Jackson) 02/03/2017: Four friends break into an abandoned insane asylum in search of a death certificate which will grant one of them a large inheritance. However, finding it soon becomes the least of their worries in a place haunted by dark memories.

Patient Zero
    (Director: Stefan Ruzowitzky | Stars: Clive Standen, Natalie Dormer, Matt Smith, Stanley Tucci) 02/17/2017: After an unprecedented global pandemic has turned the majority of humankind into violent "Infected," a man gifted with the ability to speak the Infected's new language leads the last survivors on a hunt for Patient Zero and a cure.

Get Out
    (Director: Jordan Peele | Stars: Allison Williams, Keith Stanfield, Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener) 02/24/2017: A young African American man visits his Caucasian girlfriend's cursed family estate.

The Dark Tower
    (Director: Nikolaj Arcel | Stars: Katheryn Winnick, Matthew McConaughey, Idris Elba, Abbey Lee) 07/28/2017: Gunslinger Roland Deschain roams an Old West-like landscape in search of the dark tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.

Untitled Cloverfield Anthology Movie AKA God Particle (Director: Julius Onah | Stars: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl, Chris O'Dowd) 10/27/2017: A shocking discovery forces a team of astronauts aboard a space station to fight for survival while their reality has been altered.

The Shadow Within
    (Director: Tiago Mesquita | Stars: Lindsay Lohan, Charlotte Beckett, Gianni Capaldi, Dominik Madani): A private investigator must unravel the murder of her uncle while keeping the secret that she is a descendant from a line of werewolves.

Keep Watching (Director: Sean Carter | Stars: Bella Thorne, Chandler Riggs, Natalie Martinez, Ioan Gruffudd): A family become imprisoned in their own home by intruders who force them to play a life-and-death game in which the mysterious rules become clear as the night unfolds.

Death House (Director: B. Harrison Smith | Stars: Adrienne Barbeau, Cody Longo, Dee Wallace, Sid Haig, Vernon Wells, Michael Berryman, Tony Todd, Barbara Crampton, Lindsay Hartley, Bill Moseley, Kane Hodder, Richard Speight Jr.): During an exclusive tour, a power breakdown inside a secret prison known as the Death House sends two agents fighting through a labyrinth of horrors while being pursued by a ruthless army of roaming inmates. As they fight to escape, the agents push toward the lowest depths of the facility where they learn a supernatural group of evil beings are their only chance for survival.

The Trap (Director: Harmony Korine | Stars: Al Pacino, Benicio Del Toro, Robert Pattinson, Gucci Mane): An ex-con is out for revenge against a gangster rapper and former friend who let him take the fall for a robbery they committed 14 years earlier.

Cargo (Directors: Ben Howling, Yolanda Ramke | Stars: Martin Freeman, Anthony Hayes, Caren Pistorius, Susie Porter): CARGO is a post apocalyptic thriller and an emotional story of a father trying to save his child at all costs.

Malevolent (Director: Jason Axinn | Stars: Morena Baccarin, William Shatner, Ray Wise, Bill Moseley): In order to save her siblings, a young woman takes on her father and the powerful entity known as Gamemaster, who ensnares humans into diabolical plots while her species gambles on the outcome.

Remakes slated for 2017:

The Mummy
    (Director: Alex Kurtzman | Stars: Sofia Boutella, Tom Cruise, Annabelle Wallis, Russell Crowe) 06/09/2017

IT
    (Director: Andrés Muschietti | Stars: Bill Skarsgård, Finn Wolfhard, Jaeden Lieberher, Nicholas Hamilton) 09/08/2017

Flatliners
    (Director: Niels Arden Oplev | Stars: Diego Luna, Nina Dobrev, Kiefer Sutherland, Kiersey Clemons) 09/29/2017

Suspiria
    (Director: Luca Guadagnino | Stars: Chloë Grace Moretz, Dakota Johnson, Mia Goth, Tilda Swinton)

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm really looking forward to Get Out. Looks really interesting. The first trailer I saw seemed like it was a very serious movie in tone but it's listed as a "horror comedy". I'm in.

Bill Moseley slated for another 137 horror movies for this year lol man that guy is a whore. Love him. But a horror whoooooore nevertheless.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to The Belko Experiment, Insidious 4, Annabelle 2, Split, Underworld: Blood Wars and especially Jeepers Creepers 3 (if it get's released). The sad thing is 4 of the 7 are sequels. The last two years have been horrible for horror overall.

11. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Can we expect The Nun in 2017 or is that 2018?

Anthropophagus likes this.
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Been looking for info on this myself, but I can't seem to find nun.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Update on Safe Neighborhood: Well Go USA is releasing the film on October 6th under the new title Better Watch Out!

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Watched cargo, tonight, as expected more drama than horror, but deep, beautiful and touching, well worth a watch.