30 Days of Night

Discussion in 'General' started by bigdaddyhorse, Oct 21, 2007.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Anyone else going to check this new vampire flick out?

I just got back and had a great time 95% of the way. The movie was just working and was great until a certain action by a character made me cringe, laugh and hold up my middle finger until the credits. My GF felt the end was perfect so I'll give it another chance when the dvd drops, but it pissed me off at the time and thinking about it now I still hate it.

The good:
    Location, location, location. Really reminded me of The Thing in parts. I have no desire to ever go to an Artic town where the sun doesn't come up for a month. Just too much shit to go wrong. Add in all the shit that goes wrong, the not to rise for a month sun, and this setting is just perfect as it's really a character itself.
    I really liked the vampires in this as well. They were vicious, smart and organized. A nice departure from the romantism of most vampire flicks. Extra points for them speaking some ancient sounding language instead of being Havard educated Euro art-fags.:D
    Some great gore from Weta. Just when you think you've seen it all, here's a few new gags. Also the CGI was seemless enough to not take me out of it, most effects felt practical and real.

The bad:
    So many parts felt rushed and there were cuts that made me feel like a reel might be missing.:eek1:
    Editing of some attack sequences. I'm am so over the quick-cut, extreme close-up, can't really tell what is happening style of editing. This had a few of these parts.
    The last 10 minutes. Like I said, the finger went up and I'll leave it at that.

All in all a very good, solid, and pretty much fresh take on a genre that's anything but fresh. Most things even made sense, esp. the creature's preperation. I'll give it a recomendation.
    It was only on one screen at Showcase here, in the second smallest room. This probably seats 100-150 and was around half full. Decent crowd too, not much talking or the ever present cell phone light (maybe cuz it's smaller and not as easy to see everyone in front of you).:) I'd guess this has a slim chance of being here next weekend judging by this treatment.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I do want to see this- mad at myself i missed a chance to buy a dvd and get a ticket to this movie when circuit city had it- so far the critics ratings seem to be right down the middle- about half liked and half didnt- but seeing your review makes me think I will like this one

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'll probably be checking this out this week.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

...waiting on the DVD.

5. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I went to see it tonight with a bunch of friends and we all really enjoyed it. Like BDH said, there was some freshness to an old genre. I vampires looked really good, there was no superman-esque heros, and it stayed pretty true to the graphic novel. I give it an 8 out of 10.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This sounds quite similar to the Swedish film Frostbitten (aka Frostbiten) in terms of the plot.

A month of arctic darkness. Vampires. Hmm...

7. adric

adric New Member

i enjoyed it alot. good story, atmosphere, gore. new spin on vampires, i just hope every vampire movie for the next 15 years doesnt have them as ancient speaking scumbags now. and i have to agree on the certain action taken by the certain character being wacked, but it lead to a kick ass fight.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I really liked it as well. About on Par or possibly better then 28 weeks later, one the best horror film of 2007. The ending was questionable if not week, but still OK.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  9. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

Frankly I was disappointed with the whole thing. It'd be ok for a DVD rental I suppose.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Reading some of the quick reviews here, makes me want to see it. I was going but didn't get a chance this weekend.

The only thing that scared me about this film was that a reviewer at a major paper in my state, really trashed the movie. And his biggest gripe was that the acting was really bad & the vampires were laughable.

For those who saw it , what was your take on this.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The acting was fine and the Vampires menacing. So I completely disagree.

12. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

I didn't think the acting was too bad except for Josh Hartnet. I just didn't buy him as a sheriff from the get-go and his performance did nothing to change my mind. He pretty much has one expression throughout the entire movie until the end. He's like his generation's David Duchovny.

The action scenes were good when you could tell what was going on and the film's take on the vampires was a nice change of pace. There's some pretty good gore too.

I think the director did what he could with what he had to work with, but the screenplay was kind of meh. I expected something better after Hard Candy. I could think of worse ways to spend a Friday night i suppose. I found the movie to be entertaining but disposable. 6.5-7/10

13. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

The anemic vampire genre gets a swift kick in the ass with this movie. Vampires are so damn boring these days. I loved the graphic novel, even though the artwork was very "busy". This movie was a fairly good adaptation.

I have a question...
    Did they ever show the old man get it? Oh, and the aerial shot of the town massacre was fuckin' cool!

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

What's the issue here - quick cutting nightmare as we saw in Descent and 28 Weeks Later (and others, obviously).

15. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Yeah its definitely not exclusive to this movie, but I never liked it to begin with.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Were you talking about:
    the needle thing....

Yes that upset me too. I wanted the ending to go a different way. Other than that, I thought the movie was pretty cool. And I know what you mean by it felt rushed in a few spots.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yep, that's the thing where I just rolled my eyes and laughed out loud (annoying my GF and another couple sitting close enough to hear).

As for the quick cutting, you could still tell what was going on here.
    I did see the grandfather of all annoying, can't make out anything cuz of it, extreme close-up quick cutting motherfucking movies the other night... The Cavern. I thought I was gonna have an epileptic fit watching that shit. Avoid if the quick cutting makess ya feel quesy or not right, as this one might fucking kill you.:nervous: At the very least you will lose 80 minutes or so of life that you can't get back.

18. geeare

geeare Guest

i LOVED this film...can't wait for the Blu-ray release!

19. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I just saw this last night and thought that it was pretty stupid, even though it had some decent things going for it: some nice shots and a hot chick (again - eye candy). Anyway, my gripes were:

1. The ending... holy f'n shit that was stupid!!!
    2. Why would any living being have dried blood on its face for extended periods of time?
    3. Why did the main vampire give the monologue about making people believe that they are just things of nightmares for all these centuries?
    4. Why show the grinder thing at a few key moments only to have it underused?
    5. Although it had a lot of gore, it was extremely uneffective.
    6. Did I mention that stupid-ass ending?

No wonder Sam Raimi decided to not direct this thing.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I enjoyed this flick. Definitely a popcorn picture.