40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Well for me I only like the original Nightmare on Elm Street and Part 4. The original stands alone though. I'm biased to Part 4 because I like the 80s feel of that one. To rank the three, Freddy vs Jason would be third though.

I want to watch the Nightmare on Elm Street TV show. I remember seeing a few of those when I was a kid. I recall Freddy talks a lot in that one since the setup is similar to the monster shows with the Creep and other monsters giving narration before episodes.

But Freddy became a different character once he became popular after the success of the original movie.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, though the movie has a special place for me because it basically got me into horror. But you're right. I've seen the movie a bunch and it gets old how much the characters re-iterate the plot and what's going on. It's like "fuck me, I get it". But Jason fears water and Freddy fire, how do we use that? -_- I swear it comes up at least 3 times.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

https://bloody-disgusting.com/inter...n-shares-concept-art-sequel-jason-never-dies/

Tom Mcloughlin's idea for another Friday the 13th film.

From a couple of months ago...
    Not quite, but I'm in the ballpark.

From 4 years ago...

Forgot I wrote this. All still great ideas. :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    ImmortalSlasher and Copyboy like this.
  4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with baggio. I see absolutely no reason why a winter Camp Crystal Lake would be implausible. I grew up in a very conservative religious nightmare and my church had this youth group called Word of Life. One year we all went to a Word of Life winter camp somewhere in upstate New York called Snow Camp. It was only a weekend long but it was just like summer camp except it was winter. The boys and girls were all separated and we all had counselors in our cabins. They had ice skating and sledding and there was even a hill where you could ski if you were brave enough. In between all the fun stuff there was a lot of "Thou Shalt Not" and hellfire and brimstone preaching going on. It was pretty horrifying as it was, but imagine throwing Jason into the mix? Jesus and Jason! What could be scarier than that?

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree a winter setting would be great, it's for that very reason why I watched the second series of slasher. And while that was not perfect by any means it did show what a great setting this has the potential of being.

6. Zombie Dude

I don't know. I always associate Friday the 13th with summer camps. I'm not opposed to a winter setting but I'm not sure if I'd want the whole film to take place during winter. If someone wants to make a new slasher with a winter setting I'm down but I feel my boy Jason needs some sun on his skin.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh I'm all for a winter Friday the 13th movie. Group of kids go away to the cottage for some skiing/ice fishing on Crystal Lake and (somehow) accidentally revive Jason? There's a huge snowstorm or something and the power goes out? Fuckin so into that lol. There's so many possibilities for winter-related deaths: Someone gets stabbed straight through the eye with an icicle, another gets pulled underneath the frozen lake, another gets their throat cut with a skate blade... the bodycount continues, motherfuckers. :D

~Matt

Christy likes this.
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I mentioned this idea like a decade ago. You motherfuckers are just copying me. :p ;)

Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I feel like you're describing Die Hard 2

Zombie Dude, russweiss and Matt89 like this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw Tom Mcloughlin's ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the concept artwork. I'm still not crazy about a Jason in the snow movie though.

Cool. This just gave me a winter horror story idea from something I did when I was a kid that I wasn't supposed to. No Jason but if they can make that movie about people on a ski lift. Then my story idea should be fun.

Zombie Dude and baggio like this.
  11. maybrick

I’ve been revisiting all of the Fridays since getting the box set last week and have been having a good time.. up until Part 7. My god, it’s even worse than I recall. It’s just not a good movie on any level, and it’s biggest crime is that the thing is played dead pan serious. If it was played tongue in cheek like Jason Lives it would have at least been salvageable, but everything about it screams that the people behind it were blissfully unaware of how atrocious and dumb the script was. Embarrassingly incompetent all of the way around, and so boringly shot and lit that I doubt that even unedited kills would have made watching it a worthwhile experience. Egads!

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I agree. The characters are so boring and annoying. I can't stand Tina, as her nervous breakdowns and the drama between her mom and Dr Crews gets on my nerve.
    I also wish that it was made in the style of Jason Lives, as the "Carrie" vs Jason moments are too silly to take seriously.
    Part 7 and especially part 8 (except for the final act, in NY, which is pretty entertaining) are the worst of the original 8 films.

Myron Breck and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Cocoa, snow, and Jason (sigh) Chasing the snow bunnies with a candy cane pokin outta the bottom holes of the hockey mask and I would even let him use his mom's head for the tree topper. And on Christmas Day unwrapping a Good Guys Doll of his very own!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

One of the worst scenes for me was the boxing fight on the roof in part 8. Absolutely terrible. In Jason Lives I didn't like the third actor that played Tommy Jarvis. He had a completely different personality from the previous film. I saw in the extras that they had asked the actor from A New Beginning to return and he didn't want to.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Tina is the worst and a terrible lead. She just cries and screams the whole time. I couldn't give two shits about her.
    Elizabeth Kaitan as Robin has my attention though.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Parts 7 and 8 probably have the worst leads. The New Blood has honestly grown on me over the years, but I'd still probably rank it near the bottom of the first 8. I watched Jason Takes Manhattan on 35mm back in September 2019 and had probably not seen the movie in well over a decade. While it was certainly really cool to watch it on a 35mm print, it's by far the worst of the Paramount films. Man what a missed opportunity. Few interesting kills and the movie picks up a bit once they reach NYC but it lacks a consistent tone and tries but fails miserably to achieve any sort of suspense.

~Matt

Steel76, Zombie Dude and Natas like this.
  17. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

What that coulda been.

18. maybrick

I’m a little more forgiving with Part 8 even though it’s still played too straight for its own good and suffers from many of the other problems that Part 7 had. But at least the cast is more likeable and the continuity makes sense (relatively speaking), and not only that but because Jason ends up back in the lake again you can skip Part 7 completely and not miss a single beat. Btw, I have to say I really dislike the “Jason laugh” effect that the series introduced with Kane Hodder when he’s on screen. It’s just silly. Is he supposed to be actually laughing? I don’t get what they were going for because the traditional “ki ki ki ma ma ma” was a lot creepier.

19. Zombie Dude

I'm due to watch Part 8 again soon but from my last watch I remember thinking it was one of the worst. There's some good stuff in there but it's all mostly executed badly.

Not sure what you mean by the "Jason laugh" though.

20. maybrick

When you watch either Part 7 or 8 again, pay attention. You hear it virtually every time Jason is on the screen.