A question about the Evil Dead series DVD's...

Discussion in 'General' started by Vamp, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Vamp

Vamp Guest

Well, I bought the Book of The Dead edition.. I love this movie, but to tell you the truth I wasn't going to buy it on DVD.. Of course, who doesn't want to have that creepy looking book?

Well, I bought the first in the series, now I *NEED* to have the complete series in my DVD collection. Yes, I'm all anal about how I keep my DVD's and stuff.. In fact, I've never bought a DVD and not finished the rest of the series except for Scream (hey I loved the first one) and ones that do not have the complete series out on DVD yet.

Now it's about time for my questions.. Do you remember the part in Army of Darkness where they had the THREE BOTD's? Well two fakes, but anyways that got me thinking..

Do you think they'll make new versions of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness in BOTD editions? Or is it "safe" to buy them without having to worry about a more kick ass version coming out?

I mean, $30 is expensive for DVD's... Hell, most of the DVD's I buy are under $20, so I don'r want to waste some cash on the sequels if they're going to release new special editions of them..

Blah, I'm rambling again..

Thanks in advance!

2. Choptop

Choptop Member

Since we're dealing with Anchor Bay, I think anything is possible, but I think we can assume that the definitive versions have already been released, and we (hopefully) won't see any more.

But then again, I thought the AoD 2-disc limited set would be the last AoD release from AB. And I was quite displeased when they later released the "bootleg" edition. The feeling of owning something unique was kinda shattered when that happened...

But anyhow, I think if there is another release of any of the ED films, the only thing kick ass about them will be new packaging. But let's not give them any more ideas, I already own enough versions of each film between DVD and LD, I don't want any more after the BOTD release. Unless of course, Within The Woods will be included.

SO, best guess is it's "safe" to buy the current editions without worry. Besides $30 a pop isn't THAT bad when you compare it to the cost of most SE LD's :).

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Good call Chop, if this was a laserdisc release it would retail at at least $150, maybe up to $300!

4. Just buy 'em already!

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Definitely get the Evil Dead II disc out now. They won't redo it; atleast I hope they won't. AOD is different though, and I got the theatrical cut the month I got a DVD player, but searched for the Director's Cut LE for almost a year. A week before the Bootleg Edition streeted, I found the Director's Cut LE for like $18, so I snagged it. My suggestion is to get the standard version and bootleg, probably be under $30 total if you play your cards right.

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm satisfied that I have all the editions of all these flicks I'll ever need. I've got the Elite SE of Evil Dead and the new AB Book of the Dead, the AB tin for Evil Dead II and the LE gold copy of AOD and the other AB release with Ash's face on the cover. And that's all I'll ever need. Period. I don't think they could do a better job with these flicks again.

7. tommy doyle

tommy doyle New Member

I made my own trilogy set

I took my new limited book of the dead and made it to fit all three films.

I took one of those case logic wallets you can get for 9.99 at best buy and cut out one of the disc holders with an exacto knife. (It's one of those things that you can fit both discs in one each page of the wallet.)

I then glued it to the page opposite the dvd holder in the book near the spine and now I have all 3 discs in the book.

.....I currently have in the AB ED, EDII, and AOD bootleg discs in it but might ad another holder on the next page for Elite ED and AB AOD to complete the book and make it a full 5 discs.