All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I'm not pleased with the changes either... Lucas' constant fiddling is maddening; most especially since he seems so out of touch with his most loyal audience.
    However, the picture quality is quite good (not what it could have been, but still above average), I expect the audio will be excellent & the incredible supplementary package alone is worth the price of "admission."
    If you are a Star Wars fan, this will be by far the best way to view Star Wars. Compared to the Special Edition DVDs, you will have vastly improved picture & audio quality and, honestly, who really cares about the extra changes this go around when Lucas already shat on his legacy with the "Special" Edition ("Special" like "Special Sauce"... at Burger King) anyway.
    If you buy the Blus, you can enjoy the best available picture & audio quality on those times when you can deal with Lucas' tinkering & you can always resort back to Definitive Edition laserdiscs or the 2006 2-disc DVD OOT releases on those viewings where you just can't.
    If you want to make a statement by boycotting the Blus, be my guest. Just don't pretend that its because of anything other than a strong desire to see the unmolested original trilogy (I completely sympathize with this plight) on Blu as the rest of this package is great.

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Well put and agreed. I actually never watched a tape of my own performance (makes one self-concious) and I of course owned copies of my own tapes/CDs but would occassionally listen to them to critique myself in an attempt to better develope as an artist. Fat lotta good any of that did in the end, anyway. :D

WhileI a m not a film-maker, though I wish I were, I imagine the process is similar. You should probably watch your film after completion to soak up the finished product but dwelling on it thereafter is a receipe for disaster. I'm sure you might screen your film for select friends & family for social gatherings and entertainment, but I imagine you would want to keep your distance beyond that. That may be Lucas' problem. His obsession with where he may have gone wrong or what he could have done differently has consumed him.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

You're exactly right, my choice to not purchase this set is absolutely a protest for the original unaltered trilogy being passed over for a proper high def release again. I will not upgrade to Blu-ray simply because the improvements to A/V will be marginal in my opinion. The DVDs look and sound pretty fantastic in standard def. I believe it is only a matter of time for the unaltered original trilogy to finally see a proper high def release. The non-anamorphic release a few years back was proof that George (or the studios or the shareholders or whomever) aren't exactly closed to the idea. Maybe I'm naive but a show of solidarity among Star Wars fans to not buy this release might make a difference. You would think that with the problem studios are facing today with illegal downloads that they might want to deliver something to the public worth buying. It would be huge.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You guys are all forgetting the critical point. Poor George doesn't have the money to restore the original films. It's a shame he's not filthy with coin like Shout! Factory. With their vast riches they can spend billions of dollars to properly restore and transfer films to Blu-ray. George just can't absorb those types of expenditures--probably because the original trilogy lacks the mass market appeal of Humanoids From The Deep.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

:lol:

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

DVD (top) vs Blu-Ray (bottom)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Another change... Sebulba on the palace
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Changes... changes... more changes...

Jabba The Hutt is more green in Star Wars - Episode I
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R2D2 hides "better" in Star Wars - Episode IV
    How the fuck did he get in there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Menus...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hitler´s not happy...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBP_U5VAB-Q

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Those screencaps leave little doubt that the Blu-rays are a significant improvement over the DVDs. However, they also highlight how good the Special Edition DVDs looked in the first place!

11. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The Blu-Ray shots look remarkable! A great amount of detail too! Say what you will about the transfers, but I think they're the best in DVD/Blu-Ray restoration. Incidentally, was Jabba in ANH changed or the same as the 2004 version?

12. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This set will be mine!!!!!!!!!!

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

It´s the same...
    Incidentally, I guess some people are never happy because in the blu-ray forums they are arguing that Jabba should be digital in ROTJ to match ANH...

First they want the damn thing unaltered and now they want it altered?!?!?!?

[​IMG]

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Before someone starts asking questions about the set, this is not mine...

[​IMG]

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: :lol: Now that's just... sad.

I hate that inserted scene of Jabba and Han more than any of the other changes he's made to the original trilogy. That scene is the very definition of DELETED SCENE, because it doesn't work in any way shape or form.

After all of the things that Lucas appears to be embarrassed about, it amazes me that he's actually proud of that scene. I just cringe when that scene shows up.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Ave you seen Alien, Close Encounters or Psycho??? :D

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Judging by the screnns, looks like the movies get better looking as they go through the trilogy. Ep4 caps look very similar, just a slight boost to the clarity for the blu. Empire looks much better and Jedi a bit nicer than Empire. Too bad I won't be having these, but I'm sure ther library will so I can chime in on the changes.

Whoever asked for a digital Jabba to match Ep4 should be shot right now. Don't give a psychopath ideas! Looking forward to the next release with digital Jabba, it's probably goona happen. Either full digital, or tweaked like Yoda (again).

18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Those too! :)

19. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I appreciate that scene for introducing a character that otherwise "comes out of left field" later in the series.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he "comes out of left field." You get all the info you need about him at that point in the story during Han's conversation with Greedo.