All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

My friend explained him very well to me the other day. He said since very early in his career, Lucas' main objective has been to prove wrong anyone who has ever said no or doubted him. I think my friend is correct and it's very evident in his actions. We would probably have the original unaltered trilogy on Blu if no one had ever said anything contrary to Lucas' plans.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know how true all of that really is. "near HD resolution"? :eek2: I've watched the Blu-rays and they all look fan-fucking-fantastic and crystal clear. If these are old HD masters, they look better than most newer films released on Blu-ray.

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Good to hear can't wait to get my hands on these.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

2K is more than enough resolution for blu-ray, so I don't get this complaint. The films look fantastic on blu-ray. People can bitch and bitch and throw out terms like 8k, 4k, etc., but the visuals speak for themselves. The films look amazing. And I doubt George Lucas is worried about how much something costs.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Not George I've got more money than god Lucas!!!! lol

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You'd be wrong there. He's continually stated that we won't get new versions of the unaltered original trilogy films because it's too expensive to restore them.

And please believe me, I'm not trying to antagonize anyone who's enjoying this set--or suggesting the video quality of this release is terrible or even subpar. All the reviews I've seen (here and elsewhere) seem to fall in the 4 out of 5 star range. But that doesn't change the fact that the masters used for this set fall well below the typical resolution standards for modern Blu-ray masters. The transfers for Criterion's BBS Blu-ray set were all produced from 4k masters. And other historically important films (like The Wizard Of Oz) have been transferred from 8k scans. So however good this set looks, it could look substantially better.

The latest batch of changes to the original trilogy films has understandably dominated discussion about this set. I posted this info because I think it's important to point out that Lucas's endless fiddling with the original trilogy films has had other unfortunate side effects. And they're not being widely discussed.

Star Wars on Blu-ray is bound to be one of the most lucrative home video releases of all-time. Using outdated masters seems more than misguided when you consider how much revenue the set is going to generate. I find it unforgivably cheap.

Just my two cents.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

"Star Wars on Blu-ray is bound to be one of the most lucrative home video releases of all-time. Using outdated masters seems more than misguided when you consider how much revenue the set is going to generate. I find it unforgivably cheap.

Just my two cents."

I totally agree- Ill still buy the set- but I totally agree.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Even if they do an 8k scan of a film, it's scaled down to 1080p, where it will be the same resolution as a 2k scan that is scaled down to 1080p. Regardless of which you go with, the end resolution is still 1080p. And I doubt the differences in color and contrast would be that great either. These are transfers from the mid-2000's, not the 90's. They aren't that old and outdated. I'm sure if they felt they could make the films look better, they would have. It's Star Wars for Christ's sake.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

And Episode III is getting high remarks on the video/audio departments...

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I would hope so, it isn't that old. Episode III came out in 2005 & was shot on digital film, so I would expect the transfer to be pristine unless Lucas has been storing it in his shed under his lawnmower.

11. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Whoa, digital film. Wonder what that looks like.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Great!

13. Katatonia

'Star Wars' Breaks Blu-ray Sales Records

Sounds like Lucas will still rake in the big bucks.

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

15. Katatonia

Probably with Lord of the Rings fans there was. :evil:

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Not with me, no matter how you slice it, it's still Star Wars. Even with Lucas meddling with them people are still gonna buy the episodes in whatever format is popular at the time & that includes me.

17. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Hey Lucas... When are gonna put a naked Leia in Episode VI dancing for Jabba?

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Maybe it will break return records also. Doubtful, but possible.

You all know Lucas funnels money to Al Queda right?:evil:

Am I the only one who owns a blu-ray player that didn't buy this? Those are staggering numbers, so staggering that any more "we can't afford to restore the originals" is absolute bullshit, not that it hasn't been ABS since first mentioned.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

With regards to the changes that Lucas has wrought upon his films yet again, and his general way of managing his enterprise, I encourage everyone to read this post from the Wall Street Journal. It's actually about Orson Welles, but many of the points they make about Welles' failings can be applied to Lucas.

And no, bigdaddyhorse, you're not the only Blu-Ray owner who has skipped this. Since they came out I've repeatedly walked by the rack in Target selling the sets, but have never felt tempted to do more than pick them up and look at them. Too many other things need my $$$ right now.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I didn't buy it either. I was initially tempted. But I never watch the official DVD set I purchased. The changes and George's "F you if you don't like it" attitude really stick in my craw. So that made it easy for me to just say no. On the rare instances that I'm in the mood for Star Wars I go with my laserdisc-sourced bootlegs.

As we all expected, this set sold well enough that Lucas probably won't ever realize how many longtime fans are disappointed. But whether he gets the message or not I feel good about boycotting this release.