All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I read it was a mixture of copyright (music) and O'Bannon not being happy with some stuff (Tarman's voice etc.)

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

George is like that creapy old guy who just can't stop raping kids no matter how many times he goes to jail or tries rehab. Thankfully the kids are just films in this case, but give it a rest already!

Better yet... no I shouldn't say it, in risk of bad karma, but I'm going to anyway... just fucking die! If Lucas dies, the alterrations stop! The originals get good releases (studios aren't that dumb and will cater to enough demand) and the internet loses its soul of people bitching about while raving about Star Wars.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was the one in the audience with my head in my hands in embarrassment. The whole point of Episode 3 (and the prequels in my opinion) was to bring you to the point of seeing Vader in the suit. Maybe I expected too much. These Blu-rays would be fine I think if they also featured the unaltered trilogy. I'll still pick them up day one and dive into the extras first. I'm still trying to find someone to trade me the HD broadcast rips of the theatrical original trilogy on Blu-ray. If anyone here has it to trade, please let me know.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Past George Lucas Argues Against Future George Lucas:

GL v GL

7. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Well, all I can say is that there is no way in hell that I will purchase these Blu-rays. These alterations become more and more pathetic. It's really quite sad. The moment that the original trilogy is released unaltered in an anamorphic hi-def format, I'm there day one. Until then, maybe I'll buy Troll 2 on Blu-ray.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Is everybody 100% sure that this isn't anything but a bad internet joke? I wouldn't put it past Lucas, but I thought I'd put that out there. This is just plain stupid.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

How can this be an internet joke if someone posted some posts above a link to a confirmation from Lucasfilm...

I spent my whole day trying to decide if I should cancel my order...

Truth is... George Lucas is stubborn as hell and doens´t need any money so we´ll never see theoriginal version of these films in blu-ray...

And just wait for the worse... I´ll bet starting next year when they start releasing this in 3D even more changes will happen...

Hell, will I be alive when someone at Lucasfilms decide to change Darth Vader´s suit to pink???!!!

10. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The 3-D release of Star Wars isn't until 2015 (and that's only if the prequels do well each year), putting The Empire Strikes Back at 2016 and Return of the Jedi at 2017. If Lucas follows suit, he'll re-release after that in 2018 (he makes changes every seven years: 1997, 2004, 2011). As for the changes, I really don't understand why everybody is getting so worked up over them. He's not altering the trilogy that we love; the trilogy that we grew up on. He's altering the 2004 cuts, which we already hated anyway. And, before that, he altered the 1997 cuts which, once again, we already hated anyway. Star Wars as it exists today isn't the trilogy that I grew up on. That's dead and gone and, more than likely, it's not coming back. I can understand getting upset because Lucas is a pompous ass who refuses to release the original versions alongside his new versions. Francis Ford Coppola did it with Apocalypse Now, Ridley Scott did it with Blade Runner and Steven Spielberg did it with Close Encounters of the Third Kind. But, they actually care about their fans. So, get upset but you shouldn't be upset, or surprised, that he made further changes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  11. maybrick

I guess I must be blind but where did you find this link in the above news story?

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's really kind of ridiculous that there are good quality anamorphic bootleg DVDs of the original trilogy films--but no official anamorphic releases.

I've reached the point where I really don't care about Star Wars. Lucas has aggravated me for so long that I've started to associate my negative feelings for him with the films. He won't get another nickel from me until he abandons his vanity project and gives us the films I grew up with.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They should at least have included the original films as well as the edited ones in this set. :(

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Check the link posted by "Copyboy" on the previous page...

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm just going to call bullshit on this and say that it's all around laziness to think that. Lazy if you're the creative type and lazy if you're the consumer because you're not demanding something better.

You mean before like The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, The Lord of the Rings, King Kong, James Bond, Star Trek? Or after with Harry Potter or Avatar?

Oh, that's right, Avatar is bad because it's been called out for copying and Star Wars is good because it's been called out for copying... Oh wait... 100 Years from now all that I've named, and probably more, will still be in the public consciousness I'm sure (Well... Probably not Avatar). Star Wars will be seen as just be another Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon.

I think Star Wars as a franchise is dying. Lucas is rolling back on the 3D theatrical releases (Titanic 3D isn't), Clone Wars theatrical bombed, Clone Wars TV series is on cable not major networks, he claims there's not enough money to even do a full restoration of the series, franchises like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Avatar are overtaking them in Hollywood. People forget after Return of the Jedi Star Wars pretty much died until 1997. It looks to again but with all the good will having been sucked dry.

It's even creepier when they are his own children, which in a way these films are to Lucas. Which makes me think, there is precedent for children being taken away from their parents because they are not taking proper care of them. You could make a beautiful argument that Lucas dumping the negatives and making alterations to no-one's approval is irresponsible. If Lucasfilm had stockholders they would have dumped Lucas like Disney dumped Michael Eisner over mishandling Pixar.

In fact Pixar is a real good example. Lucas sold off a part of ILM to Steve Jobs which became what is now known as Pixar. Do you think Lucas would be the single largest share holder at Disney (which Jobs is) right now if he hadn't? I doubt it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  16. maybrick

That's the link/news story I was talking about. You read that post and there is NO corroboration whatsoever that the news came from Lucasfilms. If Lucasfilms says this is happening, then I want to see a press release directly posted upon their website. As it is right now, there is nothing.

17. maybrick

Perhaps the most insane thing about Lucas is that he KNOWS that Star Wars is a hot commodity. He's merchandized the series up the wazoo to the point where I doubt that there's any angle left to rape. He's revisited the original films several times over, giving us "Special" edition after "Special" edition. (and by "special" I mean it as in "retarded".) And yet, to this day, he still refuses to give the masses what they really, and I mean REALLY want and that is Episode 7 and beyond. I just don't get it. It really makes me want to punch him in the nuts.

18. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

How about the NYT?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...turn-of-the-jedi/?scp=1&sq=lucas+films&st=cse

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's an interesting statement. I'm curious to see if the Blu-ray is a game changer that not only sells well, but sells Blu-ray players. I have been a big Star Wars geek throughout my life, but I could never get into the Clone Wars cartoon (I really don't like the animation). The video games haven't been great (Force Unleased II was too short, I'm not into MMO's and Star Wars Kinect looks embarrassingly bad). I read somewhere that George Lucas keeps wanting to make changes when he watches his own films. I also read somewhere that the Coen Brothers never watch their own films. An Ultimate Star Wars Blu-ray ala the Blade Runner Definative Blu-ray would be ideal, and hopefully is in the near future.

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Well, double dumbass on you...
    Name any original, popular film of the past 50 years (no art films) and I'm sure SOMEONE hear can name another film or piece of literature that it borrows heavily from. Again, there are only so many basic stories & we've been writing them down for thousands of years.