All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I'm sure George is more than aware of that fact. It's been parodied and shat on so many times over the years I can't even count. It just goes to show you just how much contempt he has for his fan base. As far as I am concerned, I will stck with my original trilogy DVD boxset. I refuse to put anymore of my money into that old fools pocket ever again.

And with that said, I give you this

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see and Episode 7. I don't understand why they haven't gone there yet... sure Vader and the Emperor are dead, but I'm sure there are other forces of evil (and have been in comic and game form) that could pose a threat to the galaxy once again.

It'd be great to hear an Episode 7 announced.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Anything directed by David Finch and/or David Cronenberg. :lol:

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Anything from Cronenberg would could probably be classified as an art film. ;)

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What's the holiday special? :confused:

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Stop the press... Star Wars directed by David Lynch would be a blast. :D

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It would be something that's for sure. Sure he can do science-fiction (Dune) and even straight dramas (Elephant Man), but all bets are off when you consider Eraserhead and/or Mulholland Dr.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It was a disaster which Lucas released around 1978-9. It featured the entire cast of Star Wars (physically speaking anyway). It was an unwatchable train-wreck featuring singing Wookies, a coked-out Carrie Fisher and other assorted vomit-inducing material. It's only saving grace contains a cartoon featuring the first appearance of Boba Fett which is rumored to be an easter egg on the upcoming Blu-ray set. This fiasco which Lucas said that he wants to track down every copy of and destroy can be found on YouTube I believe.

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Lucas offered him Return of the Jedi but he turned it down.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's right! I forgot about that. I think it would be the same film, except the Ewoks wouldn't have hair. :lol:

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Apparently, that's essentially why he didn't take it. He didn't want to be a director for hire, and he knew that it would still be very much Lucas's vision and not his own.

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Contempt is the right word. He knows what the fans want and he doesn't care. He's more concerned about his own wants.

Truly creative people can't stop creating. The drive to make something new compels them onward even after their muses have flown away. How many formerly esteemed directors and musicians carry on churning out subpar output after their creative flames have burned out? Nothing stops them--not ridicule or complete apathy from former fans. And many of them don't even need the money. They keep creating anyway. They don't sit around obsessing over things they did 30+ years ago. What kind of loser sits around watching his own films all the time? I can't think of an artist that I admire (film director or musician) who does that.

Lucas has said many times that his true love is editing. I think it's now clear that he's more of an editor than a director. As others have noted earlier in this thread, Lucas used to be smart enough to surround himself with top-tier creative talent. Once his egomania drove off Gary Kurtz his films really declined.

Fortunately he won't live forever. And I'm sure his heirs will be happy to put out unaltered versions of the original Star Wars films.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

In fairness. I was a musician and won't skip my own band when they come up on shuffle, and I liked to watch the video recordings of our live shows the next day. But, I wasn't watching them over and over years later. One time maybe twice, see what is working, see what needs work, fix it next show. I looked at it like an NFL player reviewing game tape, trying to better myself as a performer.

Lucas is the only director I've heard of who does watch his old movies over and over. Real directors move on to new projects and let the past be the past. I can think of dozens of commentaries that have said something along the lines of "I haven't seen this in years" or "I can't even remember this". Maybe he's still grabbing back for the golden years when people loved him and his films.

This has also jumped from being annoyed to fascinated by how George interacts with the fans and the sheer comtempt he displays to them and his films. I now want to know what the next changes are going to be, because I couldn't care less. I'll never buy these movies again unless OG, so now I'm looking for the next great trainwreck. Assuming home 3D tech makes it long enough, it should be just a couple years out.:D

Thank you for continuing to entertain, albiet it in a far different way, George.:rolleyes:

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Didn´t know that Lucas wanted Lynch to do Jedi...

And the part that "he didn't take it" because "he didn't want to be a director for hire" doesn´t surprise me a bit... Lynch is one of the few that says...

MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

At this point I am beginning to think that Lucas is now just pulling a lifelong Andy Kaufman style prank and that just before he dies, he'll release a 20 hour documentary following all the brew-ha he has been manufacturing. And maybe he'll call it "Star Wars Wars."

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Lucas is a complete jerk...

I remember I read something some years ago where Lucas said he was waiting for the high definition market to fully mature so that he could release the definitive editions of Star Wars... AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS...

For me, a definitive edition of a movie is something that has all the ingredients a fan could want...

I can accept that the guy make the changes he wants for his personal feeling and taste but at least he could have included the original unaltered versions so that the fans (the ones that made him rich) could be have... One thing is to make small digital corrections but this I think is too much... some people are going to see this scene in a whole worse way... regarding this Vader scene, this is a perfect example where actions speak louder than words...

And that Obi scream... my god... the pits

Lucas should join a fanedit forum and release his personal versions without any comercial gain... he´s forcing us to buy something we don´t like it but that are the only versions available.

I do hope that the guy who makes the "Revisited" fandedits releases his versions on blu-ray as I read somewhere.

17. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

If people would just NOT BUY these pieces of crap, the suits will notice that the projected revenues just didn't meet expectations. Just don't buy it. If you already have the Special Edition DVDs, it's not worth the upgrade anyway. You can put 1080p pearls on swine but in the end it's still a pig.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, seriously.

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Pretty much, but here's the story from the man himself. He's even a great oral storyteller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I clearly understand that but millions of other folks will buy it.

Those "crap" editions will sell... and they will sell well. :(