All Things Canadian!

Discussion in 'General' started by old-boo-radley, Mar 27, 2008.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I did a search and was shocked to find that there's not a real thread devoted to Canadian horror cinema. I was hoping we'd get some discussion going on here as there are really (shockingly...) some great films to come out of Canada. I've only recently decided to take a serious plunge into the world of Canuxploitation, but I'm liking what I've seen so far.

First and foremost, the feeling. I know it's not necessarily distinctly Canadian by any means, but I really dig the fact that many of the cult classics are set somewhere in nature. Even Funeral Home, which plays out as Canada's Psycho features a lot of this and I can only imagine the bliss Rituals is going to hold for me once that puppy hits my mailbox.

Whereas much of Canada is from Ontario, BC, Quebec or Alberta, I happen to be from the little province that couldn't. I researched it and I couldn't find a damn horror movie that came from Saskatchewan. Then, I actually discovered one! I was shocked, it had a great title, Spliced and I assumed that naturally it was a SOV backwoods entry made sometime outside the norm for films of this nature to have been produced. Then, I read it was made in 2003 and stars... Drew Lachey of 98 Degrees. Once again, this is going to be an interesting one to take a look at.

Blood & Donuts is a vampire film that I can't believe doesn't have much more fanfare. I've had the DVD for a couple years but finally watched it the other night and was so damn shocked at the content. It's by far the least stereotypical vampire movie you're likely to come across. The vampire, Boya is portrayed as a philosophic and sensitive being who doesn't want to feed on humans, but has his slip-ups. It's pretty artsy and it's shockingly effective despite the cheesy original VHS cover art. David Cronenberg is in it, so you can't go wrong there, either.

Anyone else have any Canadian favorites or on the flip-side, atrocities?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Good idea

The Changeling still holds up IMO

The original Black Christmas

Of course, Cronenberg's contributution goes without saying.

I still have yet to read They Came From Within which apparently is a fantastic book about Canada's impact on horror.
    It is funny to think the reason Jason wears a hockey mask is because a Canadian production crew member suggested it!

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was looking up horror films filmed in Saskatchewan on imdb

Here is the list..

The Messengers (2007)
    The Risen (2003)
    Tideland (2005)
    Walled In (2008)
    Wisher, The (Splicer) (2002)

Oh and Boris Karloff lived for a while in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan before he became famous.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    You want Canadian horror, come down to Florida and watch someone with Quebec plates driving on the road!! :D

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

My favorite Canadian films..

1.Black Christmas
    2.The Changling
    3.Deathdream
    4.Ginger Snaps
    5.Cube
    6.Videodrome
    7.End of the Line
    8.Blood Moon
    9.Prom Night
    10.Deranged
    11.The Brood
    12.Rituals
    13.White Skin
    14.Shivers
    15.My Bloody Valentine
    16.Pin: A Plastic Nightmare
    17.Death Weekend
    18.Scanners
    19.Winter Lily
    20.The Dark Hours

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  6. geeare

geeare Guest

hahahahahahahahahaha...go anywhere and watch people with Quebec plates driving on the roads...it's funny cause it's true.

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Isn't Subconscious Cruelty canadian?

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm pretty sure it is. How is that film anyway?

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Yes and it's also happens to be a name of a film too.

10. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I'll pop my comments into a dedicated thread. ;)

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

There's a long list of movie horrors out of Canada,ranging from Cronenberg classics and landmarks like BLACK CHRISTMAS to a long ,impressive list of slashers (MY BLOODY VALENTINE,PROM NIGHT,CURTAINS,TERROR TRAIN).More recently items like CUBE and GINGER SNAPS have crossed the northern border.

There's a nice site called www.canuxploitation.com that includes reviews of numerous Canadian shot horrors,as well as sci-fi items like DEF-CON 4 and XCHANGE.They tell you where the pics were shot and explain why Canada and the U.S. have had this strange partnership in terms of exploitation pictures.Fun reading.

12. old-boo-radley

I think those (besides The Risen) were just shot here or are sort of... borderline horror at best. The Risen was made by Super Channel, but alas we have Movie Central here. I was really hoping for older horror films in my quest, but alas I can't even come up with one.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just want to thank Canada for Ginger Snaps!!!!!! Oh and I love Toronto<:

14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Graveyard Alive is a good recent Canadian production if you get a chance to check that out.
    Although not really horror The Littie Girl Who Lives Down the Lane deserves a mention here.

15. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Great thread, especially since I had no idea that that book existed and I've now ordered it.

If you think Saskatchewan is bad, try living in Newfoundland. Granted, it's a fantastic place in a lot of ways, but it's not like we've got a pile of movies coming out of here.... let alone horror/exploitation.

But hey, Orca was shot in locations that are all about twenty minutes away from my house.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

But hey, Orca was shot in locations that are all about twenty minutes away from my house.[/QUOTE]

That film has some nice location work.Just wondering,was there a real house overhanging the bay there (the one that collapsed into the sea when the whale attacked) or was that all just tricked up for the film ?

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm also from Saskatchewan.

As for awesome Canadian horror flicks:

Psycho Girls
    Ilsa, Tigress of Siberia (exploitation)

Others have been said, but I love those two. And they have not been said, and are pretty damn hard to find, especially Psycho Girls (which I still have to somehow find a copy and get one).

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Cannibal Girls (1973)

Eugene Levy & Andrea Martin, Directed by Ivan Reitman.

Horrible movie, but I just so love it!!

19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

That film has some nice location work.Just wondering,was there a real house overhanging the bay there (the one that collapsed into the sea when the whale attacked) or was that all just tricked up for the film ?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that particular house was set up specifically for the movie, but the town it's set in is real. The way it's arranged around a small inlet and the wharf almost looking like a wall is still the way it is now.

Also, the beach where the orca's wife (too funny) is beached is a popular place for people doing the hanging out/bonfire thing, I've been there a bunch of times. The only difference is that the road is unpaved in the movie with a cheap bridge, while it's been paved and such now.

The only other flick I can think of in terms of horror with locations that I'd know is My Bloody Valentine, because a lot of it was shot in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, and I spent about six years living in Nova Scotia and passed through there a few times.

The question I have now is whether or not anyone knows who owns the rights to Humongous right now? I'm gonna have to send a letter or something to get this out.

20. old-boo-radley

I have a copy coming in with both the rated version and a foreign uncut version (sadly, no subtitles).