Amityville Franchise (excluding the remake) Appreciation

Discussion in 'General' started by snowbeast323, Mar 6, 2009.

1. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

I read this novel for Amittyville horror and is good and scary. It take me long time to finish but is good. I get the box set and only disc I like is bonus disc. Read book if you can find. Movies is not good and remake is not good to. :(

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The best part about the original is the opening. After that it is a boring mess. The sequel is sleazy, fun cheese, after that, allllll downhill, big time.

The remake is a huge improvement over the original (mostly because of Ryan Reynolds going bat shit crazy and a much shorter runtime which shaved off the needless bits) and even that's not saying much. The whole based on true events bit doesn't grab me either, since most of it was most likely a fabrication. I think including the remake as part of the whole series might actually raise the overall quality of the series.

3. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

The Possession is the best of the original series, though not for the reasons the filmmakers might like to think.

The remake easily owns all of the original films, and the second wave of DTV "sequels", in its sleep.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i have all of em
    part1,2,3 and the dreaded remake on dvd and
    part 4,next generation,curse,dollhouse and 1992 on vhs and will get the upcoming dtv amityville sequel to the ramke

i only really like the original first 2 though when i do watch em all i watch part 2 first of course since it really is part one

5. BrianR1982

BrianR1982 New Member

I like the first three (especially the first two) and certain parts of the other sequels. Hated the remake.

6. streetlight

streetlight Member

I just bought the box set from a pawn shop a few weeks back for $10. Man was I happy as I was trying to find it for the cheapest price possible for a few years now. Also bought the remake for $3. I can't remember if it is good or bad as I only saw it once on the satellite. I have all the others on VHS except "amityville curse". They are all entertaining in their own way I suppose.

From what I remember part 2 is probably the sleaziest..but my memory fails me for the rest of them, but when schools out I'll probably watch a bunch of them.

a little off topic but I thought the 1979 movie The Evictors was influenced by the original, but I am not sure as they both have the same year of release.