And the first Blue-Ray disc is...............

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Nov 22, 2005.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

And Total Recall was Artisan. :D

2. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    some people were joinking about this saying that at least the first b-ray disc won't have to worry about being pirated

I wonder why they just don't switch to MPEG4 with something like the h264 codec rather than having a large MPEG2 image

3. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I actually enjoyed this movie (the first was better though)
    :(

4. Noto

Noto Guest

DVD started off slowly. Rosy predictions of hundreds of movie titles for Christmas of 1996 failed to materialize. Only a handful of DVD titles, mostly music videos, were available in Japan for the November 1996 launch of DVD. The first feature films on DVD appeared in Japan on December 20 (The Assassin, Blade Runner, Eraser, and The Fugitive from Warner Home Video). By April, 1997 there were over 150 titles in Japan. The first titles released in the U.S., on March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats. (Other movies such as Batman and Space Jam had been demonstrated earlier, but were not full versions available for sale.) The Warner Bros. U.S. launch followed on March 24, but was limited to seven cities. Almost 19,000 discs were purchased in the first two weeks of the US launch -- more than expected. InfoTech predicted over 600 titles by the end of 1997 and more than 8,000 titles by 2000. By December 1997, over 1 million individual DVD discs were shipped, representing about 530 titles. By the end of 1999, over 100 million discs had shipped, representing about 5,000 titles. By the end of 2000 there were over 10,000 titles available in the US and over 15,000 worldwide. By the end of 2001 there were about 14,000 titles available in the U.S. By the end of 2002 there were about 23,000 titles available in the U.S. By March 2003, six years after launch, over 1.5 billion copies of DVD titles had been shipped. Compared to other launches (CD, LD, etc.) these are a huge numbers of titles released in a very short time. (Note that these numbers don't include adult titles, which account for an additional 15% or so.) Just over 10,000 new DVD titles were released in 2003, and almost 11,000 came out in 2004, for a total of 42,500 titles (with about 40,300 still available). It would cost you about $800,000 to buy one copy of each.

A number of DVD launches in Europe were announced with little follow-through, but DVD began to become established in Europe around the end of 1998. Availability of DVDs in Europe was initially about 18 months to a year behind the U.S., but has shortened over the years to a delay of only a few weeks to a few months.

From the DVD FAQ...

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

MMMMMmmmm. Twister. Ugh

6. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

I know that Bladerunner, Mask, Caddyshack, were amongst the first dvd's out in 1997 and at one point were giveaways with purchases of players.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Wild Bunch also came out early in May of '97, one of the early Warner releases that wasn't anamorphic and you have to get up and flip the disc halfway through the movie.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Warner Bros. actually owns everthing that MGM produced.
    I was just stating that they "Warner" released them. Not that they made them. :)

Actually Total Recall is Tristar which is owned by Sony

my mistake. :) I get confused because the other Arnie movies are by Warner Bros.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I've changed my mind. I'm definitely going to go Blu-Ray now. This disc is a dream come true for me. And to think I was going to wait a few years before thinking about getting these new formats.... :rolleyes:

10. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle?

Sold!

How can you beat exchanges like this:

Max: Helen Zass. That's your name.
    Is that, uh, Ass-tralian?

Natalie Cook: Oh my god! You must have been the butt of every joke!
    Alex Munday: Did you by chance drive an Ass-tin Martin?
    Natalie Cook: Alex! We're being Ass-inine!
    Dylan Sanders: Yes. Yes you are.

Dylan Sanders: And all we have is the Thin Man.
    Natalie Cook: Our Favorite Ass-Ass-in.
    Alex Munday: [Holding the medal] We should get this to the lab to have it anal-ized.
    Dylan Sanders: You do that.

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Can't believe I've been hoodwinked into double-dipping "Full Throttle". These guys know what they're doing. :lol:

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I haven't heard dialogue like that since.... since I don't know! (seeing how I'm not big into the "backdoor surprise" thang).
    Fuck, I'm half-tempted to buy the current now! :nervous: If there was any doubt it wasn't all talk (and nothing you couldn't see at Hooters), I'd be on my way to store now!

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

:eek2:

14. bigdaddyhorse

Let this remain as lesson to myself and others NOT TO POST WHILE DRUNK! :nervous:

This tooo.

15. bigdaddyhorse

Shit fuck shit fuck! :lol:

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your killing me big daddy :D

17. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Way to drive a nail in the coffin before it's even launched. I can already predict that there will only be a handful of Blu-ray titles for a while and obviously they aren't exactly going for the good stuff.