Angelman's Favorite Discs of 2018 + One Book

Discussion in 'General' started by Angelman, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'll leave reviews for reviewers... just my my favorite discs (and a book) for the year. I had a crazy work year so didn’t see everything I bought, so feel free to fire away at me and poke holes in this list – would love to hear what everyone else thought was the best of the year in case I missed anything!

Hack-O-Lantern (Massacre Video)

The movie itself is beyond cheap and ridiculous, but Massacre Video gave this one the loving treatment. I tend to be forgiving of material and support smaller companies giving the deluxe treatment to marginal films and was not disappointed when doing so here.

Candyman (Arrow) and (Scream Factory)

I think you come out a winner either way, but I went with Arrow based off of track record and I was not disappointed. I also realize after watching that the parking garage (that you see in the trailer) is the parking garage for my office’s building.

Creepshow (Scream Factory)

Another beautiful hardbox/booklet set that looks amazing sitting along side it’s Arrow-released hardbox set for Part 2. The film is still the best Tales from the Crypt adaptation not formally affiliated with the comic property.

Who Can Kill a Child? (Mondo Macabro)

One of my favorite Spanish horror films, this “killer kids” film features real mood and suspense that still plays today… and has a couple of moments that still shock. Props to Mondo Macabro for doing this one right.

The Boneyard (Code Red)

I know this isn’t for everyone, but props to Code Red for getting this personal favorite film on Blu Ray. Yes, yes, there is a tiny video glitch in the beginning of the film but the rest of the film looks great and for me is a criminally under seen oddball film that owes a lot to films like Re-Animator and Peter Jackson’s early horror films.

It’s Alive Trilogy (Scream Factory) and Critters 4 Film Collection (Scream Factory)

Two of my white wales showed up on blu ray this year in really nice, full-series packages. Critters, especially, gets a really nice treatment with some new scans for the early films and a nice hard box housing, making for a great way to revisit these films.

Basket Case (Arrow)

Another glorious new MoMA scan of a favorite (that I got see on the big screen in LA this year). This is essential viewing/owning with a stunning archival scan that restores this camp/sleaze masterpiece in all of it’s seedy NYC glory.

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30 Film Collection

An amazing set, top to bottom and if you catch it at the right time, an incredible value. I have not seen all the new discs but so far every film has been presented as well as can be and for the uninitiated present a perfect way to get up to speed on the films that launched horror on film in the U.S.

Zombie (Blue Underground, new 4K restoration)

This new disc, featuring a more filmic scan and more accurate color timing is an amazing upgrade worthy of any fan’s collection. Admittedly, Zombie is a top five all-time horror film for me, so I am biased (and have I have owned this on every home video format I can think of). Still, this is an essential film in zombie films as well as seminal film in the Italian zombie/cannibal horror cycle.

Night of the Living Dead (Criterion)

In addition to picking up the new disc I managed to catch this new 4K scan in LA at the Egyptian theater. As powerful as ever, this release should remain the final word on Romero’s classic for the foreseeable future.

Book:

The Films of Jess Franco by Antonio Lazaro-Reboll and Ian Olney (Wayne State University Press)

There’s been a lot of writing on Jess Franco – most of it aimed at cataloguing his long, tangled filmography but a serious, scholarly examination of his films has not appeared… until now. Admittedly, some of the pieces are a stretch but the more-even handed articles in the book give us some fresh lenses with which to look at Franco’s themes and work. A good read for Franco fans and film fans alike.

CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun, Workshed and 5 others like this.
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Didn't Massacre Video release Hack-O-Lantern in 2017?
    I still have to whittle down my list, there are like 25 titles on it...

edit: I see now, the single disc edition came out in Jan 2018...

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It’s a reach, but I don’t think it made it on last year’s list. I think I have the deluxe...

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My top 10 list of the year (no particular order):

1. American Psycho (4K Blu-ray)
    2. Night of the Living Dead (Criterion Blu-ray)
    3. Die Hard (4K Blu-ray)
    4. The Matrix (4K Blu-ray)
    5. Gladiator (4K Blu-ray)
    6. In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
    7. Universal Monsters Complete Blu-ray Collection
    8. Hereditary (4K Blu-ray)
    9. Escape from New York (Studiocanal 4K Blu-ray)
    10. Batman: The Complete Animated Series

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Giallo a Venezia (Scorpion Releasing, BD) – It's really great to see Scorpion doing Italian movies and even better seeing them deliver one such as this! We didn't even get this one on DVD but the BD looks great and while they weren't the first to put this title out I think I've got the best, quality-wise, with this one!

Combat Shock (Severin Films, BD) - An awesome special edition I didn't even know I wanted; this was a really nice package at a very fair price and if it hadn't come along who knows when I would have given this movie another shot.

Le Journal Intime D'une Nymphomane (Le Chat Qui Fume, BD + DVD) – I was looking forward to Lorna... The Exorcist more than this one but wound up enjoying this a lot more this time around. A nice presentation in somewhat lavish packaging.

Leptirica (Media Target Distribution GmbH, BD + DVD) – Always great to see something I never knew existed, this one was really worth the blind buy and, shockingly, this 990 copy edition doesn't appear to have sold out yet.

Blood Lust (Mondo Macabro, BD) – This looked so amazing compared to all previous viewings and this is one dark and twisted movie; fantastic!

Female Trouble (Criterion, BD) – Probably my most wanted John Waters movie on BD and it's one of the first. The prior DVD was pretty decent but this BD is a considerable upgrade.

Blood Theatre (Vinegar Syndrome, BD + DVD) – The charm of this movie so far exceeds it's flaws that it's more or less genius; I've loved this one since I saw it on VHS. As with all Vinegar Syndrome releases this one looks fantastic but you also get an equally great-looking copy of another movie from the same director as an extra too.

Sharp Objects (HBO, BD) – I randomly checked this mini-series out earlier in the year and I think it might just be the best thing I watched all year, so I had to include the inevitable BD release of it on the list! Enjoyably meandering and dark, I couldn't wait to get the BD set and revisit the whole thing in a single sitting.

Eaten Alive! (Severin Films, BD + CD) – It's no Cannibal Ferox but this is certainly a cannibal flick well deserving of a BD release and Severin went the extra mile and included a nice soundtrack CD with it.

City of the Living Dead (Arrow Video, BD + DVD) – Not a movie I really wanted to buy again but since the previous releases were so disappointing and this one promised to be a nice upgrade I couldn't resist and was very happy with what I got even when you put aside the nice packaging. This one got the honor of being saved for Halloween.

White Rose Campus (Impulse Pictures, DVD) – Great to see Impulse still putting these out and this was the best of the bunch from this year. Just wish these were BDs...

Zombie (Blue Underground, 2 BDs + CD) – I was so happy with the Arrow BD and figured I'd shrug this one off but wow, they really did a great job and included a nice soundtrack CD. I haven't watched this one yet since I recently watched this movie but from what I've seen from sampling the disc it looked even better in motion than in the caps that made me want it.

Weirdo: The Beginning (Garagehouse Pictures, BD) – Some more Milligan on BD was exactly what 2018 needed and Garagehouse delivered! Monstrosity looked equally great but I enjoyed revisiting this one a bit more.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Great list! I was super excited for the It's Alive! trilogy, but haven't cracked open my copy yet. Perhaps because it hasn't been that long since I saw the first two on DVD. The first one is brilliant, though.

I'm not sure I have a top ten per se, but among my favourites are:

The Blood Island set. All four movies are a lot of fun. One could have wished that they had found better materials for Beast of Blood, but I'd rather have what we got than nothing at all.

Erotic Nights of the Living Dead - zombie mayhem and sleaze. What's not to like? I'd place it in my top 5 Italian zombie flicks.

Love Me Deadly - perversely offbeat and weirdly engaging. The Blu-ray looks excellent.

Monster Shark - easily my favourite Lamberto Bava flick. I've always dug the creature design.

Superbeast - surprised that this even got a release! I like this one more than perhaps I should. It plays like a slower entry into the Blood Island series.

Slave of the Cannibal God - another perverse and guilty pleasure. I wish that Bill would make more of an effort to include good resolution versions of the trailers, though.

Night of the Living Dead - a definitive version from Criterion.

Scorpion delivered some surprises with Giallo in Venice and welcome upticks of House on Sorority Row and Grizzly. The company is starting to set the bar high from a technical perspective (after the unfortunate incident with Humongous last year).

Haven't yet watched my copies of Zombie, Maniac, Torso, Absurd, and Anthropophagus, but I'm glad to have them.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Here are my picks. Some are based on the replay value of the movie rather than the disc itself. Also, some of the double-dips fell by the wayside (House On Sorority Row, The Unseen, etc). But anyway, here goes:

BEST BLU 1-20.JPG
    BEST BLU 21-40.JPG

1.) Scream For Help (Scream Factory)
    2.) Love, Simon (20th Century Fox)
    3.) The Critters Collection (Scream Factory)
    4.) November Bundle: Cutting Class / The Children / Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome)
    5.) When A Stranger Calls / When A Stranger Calls Back (Second Sight)
    6.) Doom Asylum (Arrow)
    7.) Grave Robbers (Vinegar Syndrome)
    8.) Scalpel (Arrow)
    9.) Blood Hook (Vinegar Syndrome)
    10.) Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon (Scream Factory)
    11.) Candyman (Scream Factory)
    12.) Last Year's Oscar Bait: Call Me By Your Name (Sony) / The Florida Project (A24) / Lady Bird (A24) / Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (20th Century Fox)
    13.) Zombie 3 / Zombie 4: After Death (Severin)
    14.) Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (Warner Archive) / Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (Scream Factory)
    15.) Dear Dead Delilah (Vinegar Syndrome)
    16.) Night Of The Living Dead (Criterion)
    17.) Creepshow (Scream Factory)
    18.) Savage Streets (Code Red)
    19.) Maximum Overdrive (Vestron)
    20.) The Last House On The Left (Arrow)
    21.) Malevolence / Malevolence 2: Bereavement / Malevolence 3: Killer (Mena Films)
    22.) Urban Legend / Urban Legends: Final Cut (Scream Factory)
    23.) Return Of The Living Dead Part II (Scream Factory)
    24.) Abominable (MVD Rewind Collection)
    25.) This Year's Indies: Assassination Nation (Neon) / Support The Girls (Magnolia) / The Rider (Sony) / Thoroughbreds (Focus)
    26.) Class Of 1999 (Vestron)
    27.) Single White Female (Scream Factory)
    28.) This Year's Indie-Horror: Tragedy Girls (Gunpowder & Sky) / Bad Samaritan (Sony) / What Keeps You Alive (Scream Factory)
    29.) Anthropophagous / Absurd (Severin)
    30.) Brainscan (Scream Factory)
    31.) Bad Ronald (Warner Archive)
    32.) Basket Case (Arrow)
    33.) Mermaids (Olive)
    34.) Hell Night (Scream Factory)
    35.) Female Trouble (Criterion)
    36.) The Changeling (Severin)
    37.) Wild At Heart (Shout Select)
    38.) Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder (MVD Rewind)
    39.) The Backlot Murders (Code Red / Dark Force)
    40.) Disney Movie Club Exclusives: Freaky Friday / The Parent Trap / I'll Be Home For Christmas (Disney)

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Man, you got a few in there I missed, CPT Hook, including the When a Stranger Calls release and Zombie 3 (not a very good movie, but nevertheless a very enjoyable one). However, I would not include TCM 3 on my list. I love the movie, but consider the release botched. Some say that if the infamous oval is visible, then the settings on your TV is wrong. If that were the case, why do none of the other movies in my collection show a similar defect, and why should my TV be specifically calibrated for one single disc to be watchable? I'm sorry, this release was a real disappointment for me.

Angelman likes this.
  9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Note: I skipped out on a lot of later in the year Scream Factory releases once their pricing practices got too ridiculous, so several great releases have gone unseen by me.

My favorite genre discs of 2018:
    Night of the Demon ‘57 (Indicator UK)
    Night of the Living Dead ‘68 (Criterion)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers ‘56 (Olive Signature)
    The Night Stalker (Kino)
    The Night Strangler (Kino)
    Who Can Kill a Child? (Mondo Macabro)
    When a Stranger Calls (Second Sight UK)
    The Last House on the Left (Arrow)
    Abominable (MVD Rewind Collection)
    The Changeling (Severin)
    Basket Case (Arrow)
    Maximum Overdrive (Vestron)
    In the Mouth of Madness (Scream Factory - new Carpenter commentary!)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Workshed, Angelman and othervoice1 like this.