Any reason my first viewing of Evil Dead shouldn't be from Netflix streaming?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I didn't see Evil Dead back in the 80's and while I've been interested in seeing it since the advent of DVD, I've always been frustrated by all the different versions. I like to say "you only have one chance to see a movie for the first time", so I tend to go out of my to make my first viewing of a classic the best it possibly can be. That has been frustrating with Evil Dead 1 & 2. Whenever I do research it never seems that fans are %100 with any Region 1 DVD release. I've decided to just to take the plunge with Evil Dead on the Netflix streaming service and follow it up with the version of Evil Dead II they ship through the mail. Are either of these versions inadequate or is their readily available superior versions?

thanks

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I saw Evil Dead for the first time on VHS with the volume turned down so low I couldn't hear anything, because I didn't want to wake up everyone in the house.

Can't say it was the best viewing experience, but I still loved it. I assume that Netflix streaming is not going to change your experience much. Or any of the DVD versions for that matter.

3. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Honestly the best way to watch Evil Dead is in a packed theater with a bunch of screaming fans yelling out every awesome line and wincing at the degraded quality of the shitty 25 year old print while spilling beer on each other.
    Short of that it makes no difference. Hit it up crikan!

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

whats the aspect ratio of the streaming netflix one? im all for the open-matte 4x3 version myself.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The blu-ray will be out later this year. If you can't wait for that then stream it on Netflix.

6. steveterror83

steveterror83 New Member

best way for me to watch any of the evil deads is with a couple good friends on a rainy night as we tear the movies apart on how terribly amazing it is.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I seriously HATE that shit. IMO, one very good reason to avoid going to see cult movies in a theater altogether. As for streaming video, I don't know. My gut feeling is that it seems a little too easy. I don't suppose you know where to find an old beat up VHS copy from the 80s by any chance?

8. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah I know a couple of people who hate the theater experience. Luckily home video has all but taken over so those who enjoy their movies in privacy have endless options.
    I absolutely LOVE watching my goofy horror in a packed theater full of fans trying to make each other laugh. We recently had Evil Dead as the midnight movie at a local theater here in Denver and it was a blast. My friends and I took up an entire row and laughed so hard our cheeks hurt the next day.
    For a movie like 'Waltz With Bashir' or 'Wendy and Lucy' or 'Full Metal Jacket' I'll take that in the comfort of my living room with no distractions so I can absorb everything.

But I digress, there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's and I guess there's no wrong way to watch Evil Dead either. :)

9. maybrick

You have everything ass backwards. You just don't get it. It isn't that we dislike "the theater experience", it's that we don't appreciate people who can't shut the fuck up during a movie. It's just plain rude and people who do that shit have absolutely no respect for anybody else in the audience. You and your friends think you're funny. Trust me, nobody else does and we didn't pay close to $10 a head to hear you crack jokes. All theaters have a policy (even if they don't enforce it) of no talking once a movie begins. You want to talk, well then THAT is what home video is for. Do it in the privacy of your own living room and leave everyone else in peace.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

+1

Unless that theater/showing he's talking about is like a Rocky Horror midnight viewing type. Other than that, there should be no talking during a movie. And if you have to, keep it to a whisper if you half to ask something related to the movie.

11. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Haha. Whoa tiger whoa! I was very specifically talking about a certain type of theater experience. That would be the one where they show old awesome horror and sci-fi movies at midnight on weekends (see above post for details). Not a first run feature at the 9pm show. At the midnight movie (and my favorite way to experience something like Evil Dead for the 100th time) it's damn near required that the entire theater participate in the experience. First run showings obviously require that the audience be quiet enough to not disturb anyone else's experience. Them's the rules and I been followin em since the 70's.
    I like how passionate you are about that though. Get 'em dude! :fire: :D

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So you waited all this time to ask this question?

I would of told you to watch it on VHS 14 years ago.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I was thinking that you might have meant that.

But obviously no yapping during the other theaters.

14. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah I'd say Evil Dead on a proper old VHS is the best way to watch it at home. I've seen it on DVD and I've always preferred the beat-to-death old video tape I've had laying around for years and years. Some movies just work that way.

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Well yeah dude obviously running your mouth during a normal theatrical showing is beyond inconsiderate. If I were that kinda fuckin moron I'd hope natural selection would've taken away my ability to have children long ago. Fortunately I'm a different kinda moron and poppa Darwin gave me a pass :)

16. maybrick

I'd say it even goes during midnite movies. Sure, a little bit of talking is more appropriate in that scenario, but even then a little goes along way. Laughing at a movie and having a good time is fine, repeating dialogue word for word and commenting on everything thing that does and doesn't happen on the screen for the entire film isn't. There comes a point even during midnite showings that people should cool it and simmer down. General rule of thumb, there isn't anything you can say to your friends that wouldn't be just as funny said in a hushed tone that wouldn't be heard by people several rows down.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yup. This was how the movie thrived to be the success it was. Everyone I know saw it back in the VHS days. To this day, I have the cool Anchor Bay numbered(?) clamshell-ish VHS and there is no reason to go dvd with it. The effects won't look good on Blu and the film is already getting dated imo. I also saw it way too many times by now. If you live in Toronto, you can always watch it at my place. It would be a good excuse to break it out.

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I threatened to pound the hell out of three teenage dorks who wouldn't shut up during the opening moments of The Wolfman recently, needless to say we watched the rest of the film in absolute silence.

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Just look out for people with meat thermometers. :nervous:

20. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

It all really depends I suppose. In Denver at our 'Midnight Madness' movies the host encourages as much audience participation as possible and plays movies that cater to that kind of interaction. Funny enough The Thing was damn near awkward a couple of weekends back as that movie really isn't very funny and tends to grip an audience with suspense more than anything else. I've run a couple of horror nights at different theaters in various cities and we've tried to get the audience as riled up as possible with great success. I guess I can see where a more subdued midnight movie night might be interesting though. I'll have to check that out if I ever end up in a city that has such a thing.
    I think the bottom line really is that you've gotta go with what the host of the invent intends. If quiet is the order of the day then the mouth stays nice and zipped until the credits roll, if it's all out party time then do likewise! :banana:

(remind me to take a valium if I ever end up at a midnight movie in New Hampshire for sure :) )