Any reason my first viewing of Evil Dead shouldn't be from Netflix streaming?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I also would recommend making Evil Dead a solo viewing on a rainy night. Granted, we've seen a lot more since it came out, but I do remember finding it incredibly creepy the first time I saw it (and I was in my late teens).

I don't think I'd want to see this with audience participation, as it's really a serious horror movie. Evil Dead 2 though, now that's a different story. I did see that at a midnight showing, and the audience participation was a good part of the experience.

But the thing with loud audiences is that it only works if everyone is in on the joke(s). No way would I make my first viewing of a movie, any movie, to be one with a lot of talking. And like many have said, there's a fine line with audience participation. It can go from immensely entertaining to incredibly annoying in a matter of seconds. I recently saw Pulp Fiction at a midnight screening, and it was a lot of fun when everyone was reciting Ezekial 25:17 along with Samuel L. Jackson. But then these two morons behind me were just having a regular conversation during that long (and quiet) sequence when Bruce Willis is trying to sneak back into his apartment. And it's really hard to tell people to be quiet when you yourself have been saying stuff to the screen too. Some people just have to know when the right time to shut up is, and most don't.

One more aside on talking in a theater. I'm working a film festival right now, and last night after we started all the films, we put on Alice in Wonderland in one of the unused theaters. It was just 3-4 people, all from the staff. I needed to talk with one of them, so I went in and had a brief conversation. Halfway in I'm like "OK, this feels REALLY wrong to talk in a theater, even though it's just us in here". I'm conditioned to feel it's taboo to do that. Which is a good thing, I guess.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Ah well, if it's a hosted event and that's what's intended then that's a different thing. Not all midnite movies are hosted like that, though. I daresay I've never been to one like that. They've always been more or less unhosted affairs.

Our tv program hosts a movie twice a year in a local theater (but not a midnite showing) and while the audience always has a good time there were a few complaints about audience members trying to pull the kind of things you describe with the last one we showed: Brides of Dracula. There isn't anything really terribly funny about that movie to speak of and so they basically relied upon making asinine comments about clothing and furniture. Comedic geniuses they weren't and about the only people that wound up being amused with their antics were themselves.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

If you go to see Halloween or Black Christmas, it should be silent. On the other hand if I went to see Pieces or Troll 2 I would be pissed if everyone sat there all quiet and serious.

Evil Dead is a hard one. I personally think it would be better with a more serious crowd as it is a more serious and scary movie. Evil Dead 2 on the other hand...

4. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

"Mommie Dearest" is also a great audience participation movie, but it is rarely screened in theaters.

5. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

You need to get caught up to speed man. Aren't you the guy who had never watched the Halloween and F13 series up until recently? You got some watching to do.

Oh, and my first time watching Evil Dead? In my bedroom as a teen at 3AM with all the lights out. That was perfect for the viewing. It may have even been in October. Totally made it creepier. It was great!

6. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

To answer the OPs questions, the version on Netflix Instant Streaming is the "butchered" Anchor Bay 16x9 transfer.
    I don't mind it this way as I watched the Anchor Bay THX DVD for years cherishing the 16x9 aspect ratio before I discovered that the original 4:3 open matte transfer are possibly the way the film was intended to be seen. However, many purists are probably mind-stabbing me right now for that last statement- so be warned.

7. maybrick

That's a common but total misconception. Evil Dead was released simultaneously to both theater and video and meant to be seen in both ratios depending upon which of those two options you chose. 4:3 is the way that it was intended to be seen on a 4:3 TV because that was the standard in the early 80s when it was originally released to VHS. Do you think that still would've been the case had widescreen monitors been available? Doubt it. AB's 16:9 isn't "butchered", it's merely cropped which was commonplace with films shot in 16mm and blown up to be shown theatrically.

8. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Kubrick used to shoot full frame. It infuriated him that theaters insisted on showing films in 1.85 or Cinemascope.

9. maybrick

True, but Raimi isn't Kubrick. The widescreen AB release of The Evil Dead was approved and supervised by Sam himself.

All directors shoot full frame, btw.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

This is wrong in so many ways.

1) Theaters CANNOT show a film in cinemascope if it ain't a SCOPE film. Jesus.

2) Kubrick shot Barry Lindon and Clockwork Orange in 1.66:1. Dr.Stangelove employs various ratios within the same film. Kubrick even spent his own money to give special lenses to cinema theaters so his Barry Lindon film could be projected in the correct ratio.

3) What infuriated Kubrick was the cropping on TV screens. That's why he decided to turn to 4x3 for his last films.

11. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah just and interesting thought about Kubrick. The WS Evil Dead is cool by me :)
    And of course all directors shoot full frame and crop, that's how movies are filmed.
    I just read a neat interview with Kubrick many moons ago where he talked about his dislike for the "cheapness" of hiding boom mics and dolly tracks in the cropped of the frame. He made mention of his roots as a photographer and the importance he felt of utilizing the full available film. *shrug*

12. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

The first time I viewed Evil Dead was on VHS many, many years ago. Right now, the best way to see it, is the Ultimate Edition DVD, and viewing it on Disc 2, which is the Full Frame version, the way it's meant to be viewed, and after you are done viewing the movie, you can watch the 58 minutes worth of deleted/extended and other shots that were on the Cutting Room floor, and then you can view several documentaries done by Ellen Sandweiss, Teresa Tilly, and Betsy Baker, AKA Ladies Of The Evil Dead, and one of the documentaries has all 5 Cast Members, and Ted Raimi who was fake shemp for at least one shot for Hal Delrich, which is not his actual name.

13. maybrick

Still, I prefer the widescreen edition of The Shining, mainly because there's less helicopter shadows and rotor blades during the opening credits. :)

14. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Just from an interview I read a while ago (see above). I didn't mean to imply cinemascope was somehow a form of "cropping" or anything. Just that he wasn't fond of it at the time (something about it being an unforgiving and non re-frameable anamorphic format... I don't know too much about it so that might be fuzzy memory) . He made mention of widescreen being thrust upon filmmakers by studios back in the 50's (or 60's maybe?) as an attempt to drive ticket sales and differentiate the theater from the living room (again I only remember broad strokes here, details kinda fade with time).

Man you dudes can be sensitive about pretty trivial stuff sometimes huh?
    Understood, it's early where I am too. :sleepy:

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Funny enough I actually dig the widescreen version of The Shining too. I've watched both a bunch of times and I think the movie really benefits from the aspect it got in the 2-disc SE.
    And yeah, no blades! :)

16. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Back on topic: Crikan you watch Evil Dead yet? What's the verdict?

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, but most of them do so with an idea of how they want the image to be cropped within that full frame, no? so most films still have a "correct" aspect ratio.

i was careful not to comment on the validity of one evil dead ratio over the other earlier, but i do prefer the open matte version myself. feels more low tech and gritty, more like the vhs experience, which i think the film definitely benefits from. and i haven't noticed it myself, but i think i remember when the book of the dead edition first came out, certain reviewers saying that some scenes lost important information at the top and/or bottom of the screen.

anyway, in the spirit of the thread topic, i would support seeing it open matte for the first time. watch it all by yourself (or with someone else who's never seen it), turn off all the lights, and pretend its 1985 or something.:rolleyes:

18. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

ie: do a line of coke off the Motley Crue mirror sitting on top of your art deco coffee table before you put in your bootleg VHS of Evil Dead and lay back on your turquoise leather couch to watch it.

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I’ve been lovin’ the responses in this thread. After reading SexCatz' post I decide I’d just watch the Netflix streaming version some night this week, but dave13 had to screw that up ;) and now I’m tempted to track down a VHS copy, dig my VCR out of the closet and plug it into the 40” 4x3 TV in my office/playroom that I only use to play NES games. Sitting on the floor in a room where I rarely spend time could make for an interesting experience. If only I hadn't thrown out that Motley Crue mirror years ago. Maybe I'll listen to some Shout at the Devil while I'm plugging in the VCR.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well, thats obviously what i meant:D

sorry crikan, didn't mean to complicate your life!