Any reason my first viewing of Evil Dead shouldn't be from Netflix streaming?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Very cool.
    Dude if you wanna get properly caught up on the real gems of 80s horror you'll need to keep the VCR plugged in full time and get in good with your local used media shop so when they get in that rare big box copy of The Video Dead your name gets stuck to it. :glasses:

2. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Oh, that mirror may not mean much to many but that priceless item and the high school parking lot carnival memories from which I won it will last a lifetime!

3. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I am aware of this... that is why I used the word "may" and placed "butchered" in quotation marks. :)

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

If only!:eek:

5. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

But duuuude, the picture will be sooooo bad!!!! Get Beta instead.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Whenever anyone asks “should watch movie X via Netflix streaming”, the answer should be No. I called around to many of my favorite used movie resellers and none had Evil Dead, so I went with Netflix streaming. During many of the most chaotic moments the screen would get pixilated from the sudden movement. The movie even crashed to Netflix screen during the tree rape scene. Oh well, lesson learned. I’ll get a few more movies delivered and cancel Netflix in a month or so.

As for the movie, I can certainly see why it has the following it does. I am impressed with how interesting the cinematography is considering its so early in Raimi’s career. The demon cam was cool and there were some other memorable shots once Ash was the lone survivor. The acting was surprisingly good with the exception of Scott (Richard DeManincor). Some of the demon costumes are pretty weak as is the gore, but it didn’t ruin the film. What will keep me from watching it again or recommending it to anyone else is the awful claymation demon stuff at the very end. What the hell were they thinking leaving that in? It’s embarrassing and completely unnecessary. Evil Dead was definitely worth watching, but not something I need to add to my collection. Seeing it in theaters in the early 80’s had to have been a treat.

That tree rape scene sure is surreal.

Am I crazy thinking that Linda looks like a young Clare Higgins (Julia from Hellraiser)?

7. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The only problems I've ever had with Netflix's Watch Instantly were audio sync issues with the South Park seasons, as well as with the first season of the original Twilight Zone. But, I've watched several movies and never once had a glitch that wasn't from the source material, nor have I ever had a movie drop out on me. I watch all of my Netflix streaming stuff through my PS3. Is this a problem that only applies to watching it on a computer? Or have people on here had similar issues with their PS3, XBOX, Roku or other Netlfix-ready device?

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You must have the worlds greatest collection if The Evil Dead isn't good enough to crack it. Seeing that I think The Evil Dead is in the top 10 horror films of all time, my collection would pretty small if it didn't make it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Neh. I've watched hundreds of movies (including Evil Dead) through Netflix streaming on both my Roku box and my computer and once had the audio not sync up on an episode of 30 Rock. Otherwise it's been perfect.
    I'm thinking Crikan just has some connection issues.

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Don't blame this on Netflix. This is more likely a problem with you connection or your internet providers pipeline. I stream Netflix regularly without issue on numerous devices- but that is on a 15mbps connection.

A word on Netflix image quality: Good Netflix SD is not up to the level of the best DVDs but is quite good over all- although the worst Netflix SD can be as bad as VHS. This also should not be blamed on Netflix as the quality of video is based on the bit-rate of the stream- as long as you are getting the highest bit-rate stream, the image quality should be nearly DVD quality. When the quality is much lower but you are getting the highest bit-rate stream, it is because the content provider that provided Netflix with the video files provided them with poor quality video- not because Netflix is providing poor quality video.

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

To add to my last post:
    I do, or have in the past, regularly streamed Netflix (SD & HD) to my Roku box, Xbox 360, PS3 & Sony BDP-N460. I also used an LG BD370 for sometime before returning it due to a defective scaler. I currently use the Sony BDP-N460 on a daily basis in my home theater. I also use the Roku several times a week in the bedroom.
    According to my Netflix Instant Watching history, I have watched 584 titles. Other than nights with very high volume (some Friday & Saturday evenings) where I cannot get a good connection speed & a few isolated instances of problems with audio sync, I have had no problems with Netflix Instant Streaming.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No, you can shoot with a hard matte. I have a 16mm camera with that option.

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It certainly could have been my connection. I wasn't having audio sync issues. The screen was getting pixilated during quick movements of many (not all) of the action sequences. I though it was odd that when I'd rewind to veiw the scene again it would still have the same problem. The signal strength meter stayed at max during the entire movie. Maybe it was a one time thing or maybe my ISP isn't strong enough. I've never had issues gaming over XBOX Live which is something I do for hundreds of hours every year.

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Never thought about it, but Betsy Baker, who plays Linda, does look like Clare Higgins. The budget for Evil Dead was about $250,000, and it was filmed over several yearls

15. meljon

meljon New Member

I'm really glad I grew up watching these movies because it seems really hard for some people to get in to them now. I have a friend who feels like you. He can never get over cheap effects or bad acting. I love the claymation effects and wouldn't want my Evil Dead any other way. I like the fact that you actually gave it a shot and not like some other people who can't watch movies that are over 5 years older then what ever year it is. That's how my friend is. I've known him for awhile and it seems like every couple of years movies he liked before suddenly become dated to him and he can't watch them anymore.

16. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Luckily your friend is in the minority when it comes to movie fans in general. I can't imagine a world where there's no demand for art created more than 5 years ago.
    *shudder*

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

There is a benefit to missing the classic horror as a kid. Growing up in the 80’s I obsessed more with Action films. I remember loving the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise and Night of the Creeps, but I mostly obsessed over Arnold, Stallone, and Van Damme. It’s been a real treat catching up with 80’s horror as an adult. In my experience, most of the horror classics hold up well to first time viewing for anyone born in the 70’s or earlier. It’s films with laughably amateurish effects that require nostalgia to help enjoy the experience. Anytime I hear mention of Phantasm I just can’t get over that plastic fly and other than the PLAY-DOH demon, The Evil Dead is an enjoyable film.

I really feel lucky that I never saw a Friday the 13th or Halloween film until recently. I had a great experience with both.

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Oh come on. :rolleyes: If you can get over the play-doh demon in the all-important finale of The Evil Dead, then surely you can get over a tiny inconsequential scene involving a joke shop plastic fly? :lol:

19. meljon

meljon New Member

Yeah, I'm a little jealous. I don't have that many 80's horror films I didn't see, but it's always a real treat to find one. And with the nostalgia factor, I'm always pretty easy on the effects and acting. I guess I kind of know what to expect. Also action flicks are a close second for me especially ones made by the 3 kings (Arnold, Stallone, and Van Damme).
    I hope you're right, because it seems to me like lately the younger generation finds it really hard to appreciate older movies. I think Crikan made a good point when he said these movies work better for those born in the 70's or earlier. I think they'll always be true movie fans that can appreciate them as art but, I think a lot of younger people now will just look at them as old, bad movies.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Dude you forget Seagal in that list!

As for movies needing nostalgia, I whole heartily disagree with that. I saw a lot of classics for the first time in the past few years and loved them. Phantasm, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist to name a few. I thought they were amazing! Phatasm is now one of my top horror franchises and The Exorcist one of my fav. horror films.