Anyone Else Go To The Monster Mania Horror Convention?

Discussion in 'General' started by Richard Anthony, Jun 14, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Maybe if you're already in southern Connecticut, maybe.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I used to be. :)

3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I really wish they would take another chance with Connecticut!!

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The most recent one in New Jersey had a modest amount of horror guests. Plenty of Walking Dead cast members. Vincent Price's daughter did a whole retrospective on his life and career. Robert Englund's Q&A was good. The Shining twins Q&A was just awkward. Since they had such a small role in the film and were small children, they didn't really have much of substance to offer as far as their experience on the shoot went. That was about as interesting as it got for my friends and I, so we basically spent the rest of our time there getting drunk and hanging with our friends that had a booth and walking around taking pictures with every absurdly costumed person we could find. A little obnoxious? Yes, but I paid $30 for one day (didn't it use to be $20?) so I was going to make sure I had a blast.

The one thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was Charles Band's Full Moon "Road Show" which was basically just an excuse for him to creepily peer pressure women into showing their breasts. By the end of it only two took their tops off, one of which was an obvious plant by Full Moon and the other was a very uncomfortable looking young woman.

Hopefully the Maryland Convention will be better. I'm starting to find the vendors as the only real reasons to go to these things anymore and even most of them have a web presence now.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

The prices went up// I recall my first chiller theater one in 1996, think it was 15 to get in. now its like 30. and it was way less crowded then it is nowadays'./

6. ronnie21

erin moran was at chiller one year charging $25 an autograph... and Karen allen was at the table next to her and was charging 20 ...

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The way I see it is unless these guests live locally then the prices they charge (not counting the notiorious price gougers like Adam West) are completely justifiable. Autographs used to be cheaper, but so was the price of gas and other associated costs of travel. Plus, dealing with fans has gotta be a headache. I wouldn't do it for any less than $20 myself if I was in their position, and that's not even factoring in money for gas and lodging.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Yes but almost always the convention bringing the guest out will pay for the travel fees and hotel as well as an appearance fee on top of that. What really bugs me these days are guests that charge you $20-30 dollars to sign something then want another $10-20 on top of that for a picture with them. I totally understand charging for a picture if you are not buying an autograph but if I just payed someone $30 to write their name on something at least let me get a photo with you. Iused to bring $200 to a convention and that would get me in, get all my autographs and leave me with some spending cash for the dealers room. these days that wouldn't get me 3 autographs.

The Monstermania this past March was the worst with prices. Almost every guest charged extra for a picture and most of the autographs were $30-40 a pop. Tony Todd who used to be $10 fave years ago with a free photo was now $30 for an autograph and another $20 to get a pic. Thats $50 for one guest!

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. ronnie21

basically these people are at these things cause they need the money. Your not gonna see brad pitt and tom cruise at these things....

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

The last convention I "went" to was a Horrorhound convention in Cincinnati. It was right in the middle of the Walking Dead craze and I wasn't even able to get in because it sold out. How a convention sells out when so many people exit at various intervals is beyond me.

A friend went and told me most guests were charging $40 for an autograph. When I first started going to conventions everyone charged $20 or less (which I still thought was quite high for someone signing their name). Talk about raking your fans over the coals.

I blame Comic Con for creating the sort of environment where fans can be financially exploited at conventions. It's really ridiculous.

11. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I honestly couldn't care less about the celebrity element. I would love for there to be a convention with just movies and vendor tables. I'd be happy with just that. Too bad something like that just isn't profitable enough.

12. myhorror

myhorror Member

Have you taken a look, or better yet, smelled most of the people that attend these conventions? They are only getting laid if they hook up with some other similar looking smelly beast.

13. ronnie21

myhorror, oh I forgot, the B.O. is really, like come on people, take a shower before you go. The funny thing is that horror conventions are an all cash business and usually people are walking around with 400-600 bucks in their pockets cash money. But its old ladies on fixed incomes with not 2 nickels to rub together who get targeted by robbers..

14. ronnie21

Same thing with strippers. iam surprised that a lot of them don't get robbed carrying 500- a grand in cash at night.. Instead they will rob 7 elevens with less than 50 bucks in the safe...

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

16. myhorror

myhorror Member

Haha very true ronnie.

17. myhorror

myhorror Member

Speaking of all cash business...the last con I went to, this fucker, which had one of the biggest dealer tables there, selling all boots of course, had a fucking credit card machine. I dunno...just looked funny.

18. ronnie21

dag, credit card machine. these dudes are getting desperate. but not serious.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

They have pimps with guns.

~Matt

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Figured I'd share something pretty special with you all. I recently decided to propose to my girlfriend and I figured since we and our friends had turned MonsterMania into yearly weekend sabbatical, what better place to do than at the convention. I got into contact with the group who put on the Rocky Horror show there and they were able to do a whole thing for us. They were really awesome.

I dunno, since I've been posting with you guys since I was 15, this was kind of one of the first places I felt the need to share that. If you were at the show, then yes, that was me! My secret identity has been revealed!

buck135 and MorallySound like this.