Arrow Releasing Demons & Demons 2 On Blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by SaviniFan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. killit

killit Active Member

Anyone interested can read all my unedited posts and see what I actually said; it speaks for itself. I'm sorry you think I'm saying things I'm not. That's really all I can say. I'd like to end this so, have a nice life and we probably should just agree to disagree.

2. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

on to other subjects

Demons 1 &2 on BR is a good thing. I am maybe in the minority but most all of ARROWS blurays have been very attractive both in packaging AND image. So I will be buying both. I have the tenebrae release everyone is complaining about and it wasn't that bad.

Buying into the hype of bad arrow transfers I ordered the Inferno and City of the Living Dead BU, and I was disappointed , not that there was anything wrong with them, but the image didn't blow me away like I was hoping it would BU's was slightly sharper, ok, I noticed crows feet here and there, both otherwise is was just me thinking "whatever". Maybe my eyesight isn't perfect.

Then taking into account that ARROW almost always has new extra's and a fun packaging they win out in my book,

3. sinister

sinister Active Member

I got the French Tenebrae Blu-ray and quality is so much better than the Arrow release, it's just what I'd hoped for. Amazon.fr wouldn't ship it to my address for some reason, but I got it from www.fnac.com

Unfortunately my player (Oppo) didn't allow me to disable the French sub-titles while the English audio track was selected so I've been hacking about with the files from the original disc and my Blu-ray writer today trying to create a version that allows the sub-titles to be disabled.

Took a while but have got it working OK now, so if anyone else wants to do the same thing here's what to do:

Rip the complete original BD to your hard drive with makemkv ( www.makemkv.com ), that gives you a fully decrypted version to play with.

Turns out the UOP (User Operation Prohibted) flags are set individually for each video transport stream (m2ts) file in the associated .mpls playlist file (in the PLAYLIST folder inside the BDMV folder).

For the Tenebrae disc the main video file is 00000.m2ts and the associated playlist file is 00000.mpls (from the PLAYLIST folder) so that's the file you need to edit.

A good hex editor is HxD ( http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ ) so load the 00000.mpls file into that for editing. The UOP flag table that determines which player functions are disabled is at offset 0x30 to 0x34 in the .mpls file, so basically just zero those 5 bytes and it allows you to use any player function as normal, so disabling sub-titles during the movie is no problem.

In the original 00000.mpls file they're set to 00 00 05 3f 40 , so edit them to make sure they're set to 00 00 00 00 00 and then save the file.

Now write the complete disc structure back to a BD-R. I used imgburn ( www.imgburn.com ) and wrote the disc as a BD-ROM with UDF 2.50 file system, but I'm not sure if all players will recognise that as a proper BD movie disc as the Oppo is quite good at recognising anything like AVCHD discs with some other players have trouble with.

The original disc is a dual layer 50GB format (about 33GB used) and is region free, so you'll need a dual layer blank BD-R to write the complete movie back at the same quality.

Anyways, hope this helps someone and that it's OK to post such info. here. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

That's awesome! I'm going to give this a try when I have some time. I actually made my unsubbed disc a little differently (rip, re-mux with only the audio I want and no subs, and re-burn) but your way is a lot more elegant because you wind up with the same disc, only with full sub and audio control rather than just a disc with the movie and the audio you want on it and nothing else. Thanks a lot for sharing!

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sorry folks, but the Demons BD:s will be region B locked.
    Got the news from the Cult-Labs forum.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

man alot of people are gonna pissed in USA and Canada and if they buy both demons 1 and 2 it wont play unless they have an all region player???

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Well then does anyone know if Anchor Bay or Blue Underground will be releasing these in the near future?

8. Steel76

There was some talk, about a year or two ago, about that MAYBE Anchor Bay would release them.
    Since Arrow had to regionlock the discs because of the licensors decision, it might be a sign that A.B. are actually gonna release them in a near future.

9. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That would be cool, hopefully they won't be the disaster that Evil Dead II into.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i doubt it since evil dead II was one of the very first blu titles to come out through anchor bay. i wouldnt mind a blu-ray double feature of demons 1 and 2 rather than individual releases as long as picture and sound is great and i dont really care for special features!

11. Steel76

I wouldn´t worry about that. Their "Evil Dead 1" and "I Spit on the Grave" BD:s look amazing :)

12. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Well...this sucks. I'm so sick and tired of this region coding bullshit. This has probably been asked a million times, but could someone be so kind as to save me some time and aggravation and recommend the cheapest and easiest way to come across a region free or region hackable blu-ray player. These were my most anticipated releases of the year and there is no way in hell Anchor Bay is going to release them here. They're too busy wasting blu-ray discs on masterpieces like "Super Hybrid" and "Metal Shifters" which I'm sure are setting the store shelves on fire.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I don't mind the region locking as I have two sets of blu-ray software on my PC. One is PowerDVD 11 which I have set to region A, and the other is TotalMedia Theater 5 which I have set to region B. My PC is hooked up to my Hitachi 42" 1080p LCD, so I'm set for these releases.

14. Mikey Horror

I just fired off a nasty email to Anchor Bay. It wont do a damn bit of good, but it was cathartic at least. If a company doesn't want to release a certain title, that's fine with me, but license it out to someone who will. It pisses me off to no extent when a distributor just sits on a title for no good reason. If Blue Underground and Synapse are making money with their releases, how the hell can people like Anchor Bay sit on titles like Re-Animator, Phantasm, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Demons, Demons 2 and God knows what else. There's money to be made all around. I just don't get it.

15. killit

killit Active Member

I agree man, I'll be buying the dvds as a result of, I was so excited about the hi-def since it was restored form the negative but I just can't justify the 499 for an oppo and I guess a mod chip for some 80-179? My laserdisc days ate all my money and i've learned from that experience I have to set a price limit on this stuff. I slip up like when I Spent 600 on the original ps3 only to play iOS games and watch almost all my movies on a $99 apple tv2

16. Mikey Horror

I'm going to go ahead and get them anyway. Apparently the first wave of these are limited (with all of Arrow's packaging and swag) and all releases after that will just be standard blu-ray packaging). I'll eventually go region free and I don't want to run the risk of the limited editions being long gone and selling for ridiculous prices when I do. The region free players are slowly getting cheaper and it's only a matter of time before I can grab one in my price range.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You can buy a multi-region BR player for not too much over $100 now...

And if you have a PC drive, you can easily make it region free with freeware.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

the panasonic range bd30, bd35, bd75 are available with mod chips, region free, i have 2 region free players, a limit player and the bd30 and it's a great model.

19. Mikey Horror

How does the whole mod chip thing work? Meaning how much are the mod chips and how much would it cost to install? I know nothing about the inner workings of these machines. I already miss the good old days of the simple DVD remote hack.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, so if I'm understanding this right, Arrow is going to:

1) Region-lock ALL their releases starting With Demons? (and reissue priors as Region B?)
    2) Abandon specialty packaging in favor of standard cases??

Boy, is this one of biggest head-scratchers or what!? Seriously, what the fuck? A someone said above, don't they want to make money? Synapse probably had something to do with this. They probably made a big stink over Arrow coming out with the same movies before theirs. Well, there goes two of my most anticipated Blu's of the year. Anchor Bay, are ya up to some brown nosing?