Arrow Video Summer 2014 Releases (Shivers, Killer Klowns, Mark of the Devil, + more!)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, May 22, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

2. foller

foller Active Member

From the screenshots the picture quality looks really disappointing to me. Especially the last two screenshots are way too dark. A lot of the picture information between the two faces in both pictures has turned nearly black. In the last picture you can hardly see her eyes anymore. It may be truer to the source but it still looks bad to me. Could it be that this was taken from an old transfer?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

My disc arrived and has only 3 minutes of outtakes, same as the review.
    Did you actually saw the full 40 minutes of it?

4. meddle

meddle Member

My disc has both a three minute version of outtakes and a much longer selection of outtakes. Which starts off with the same three minutes. Odd thing is I can only get my Sony Blu-Ray player to identify the 3 minutes of outtakes. In order to view the much larger selection of outtakes I have to view them via my VLC player and only when I selected the file marked 39:02 does its play back. Also I have yet to find a menu option to go to the larger selection outtakes.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Then it looks like an easter egg.

Maybe the other members who saw this could clarify how they access it.

6. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Per Michael Brooke: "Press the right-hand arrow when you get to the relevant bit of the menu (either Outtakes or Deleted Scenes: I forget exactly what wording they used)."

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yes, I just tried that and it works.
    Just highlight "Outtakes" and press right.

Thank you.

8. second301

second301 New Member

Arrow have announced that their release of Shivers is pre-cut.

Taken from Melon Farms and Facebook they state" We are currently looking into this issue and hope to have an update very soon. Just to clarify, our release of Shivers contains a new restoration personally supervised and approved by Director David Cronenberg and which was produced by Tiff Cinematheque Quebec at Technicolor in 2013.

We are unsure as to the reasons why part of Shivers appears to have been shortened except that it doesn't appear to be the results of any conscious act of censorship, as many similar scenes would have been removed as well if that were the case. It may have been Cronenberg's decision to excise this material due to damage to the original materials used, but at this point that's only speculation on our part.

Unlike Zombie Flesh Eaters, this isn't the result of an authoring or encoding error, as there is nothing technically wrong with our disc. Unlike many of our releases, we weren't in any way involved with the restoration of this film, so we're having to direct our questions to those who oversaw it. Just to reiterate, we are making enquiries to all the parties involved and hope to have a definitive answer to this very soon."

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Damn! And neither Cronenberg or Arrow noticed any of the cuts?! :eek:

These are apparently what the cuts are

I just received the SteelBook in the mail earlier today too! :mad: I guess the packaging, booklet and extras still make it worth having...but hopefully Arrow will rectify the situation.

10. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Shame, I have the steelbook as well. But I have all the confidence in the world that Arrow will rectify this...just as they did with The Beyond, Zombi 2, and Theater of Blood.

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Really hope they fix this, otherwise this is just a worthless disc in a $40 case!

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Finally got a shipping notification yesterday from my June pre-order of the Shivers steelbook, Mark of the Devil, and Stray Cat Rock collection Blu-rays. So many delays with all those releases the last two months... specifically the wrong ratings tag that was placed on the Stray Cat collection that they had to fix up, but glad it's finally sorted. Can't wait to dig into all those. At least I got my free Arrow Video t-shirt in the mail the month before.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'm still waiting for my Shivers Blu-ray even though it shipped 20 days ago from Amazon UK. The longest I ever waited for anything from Amazon UK was 10 days shipping time. I emailed them & they are unwilling to do anything until after November 3rd. Very frustrating as I'm sure it won't be appearing in the next couple of days. I received a different Amazon UK order on Monday the 27th that shipped a week later than Shivers.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm in the east coast and I received mine within a week from Amazon UK. It may have gotten held up in customs as some orders have in the past. I haven't even opened mine since I'm waiting to see what's going to be done about a recall. I hope you get it soon.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'm moving back to the east coast in the near future. Getting packages a little quicker from Amazon UK will be nice. I did get another package from Amazon UK today, but it was the Blacula Blu-ray collection...which shipped two weeks after Shivers. One positive about not yet getting my Shivers Blu-ray would be the inability to open it up.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's 46 degrees outside right now. You may want to reconsider that move. :) Yeah, my Shivers blu is sitting on a shelf unopened until Arrow determines what they are going to do. I'm glad they are reviewing their options instead of saying "it is what it is."

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

You will never guess what arrived in today's mail...my Shivers Blu-ray! :D It took 23 days to get here & wouldn't you know, it got here on the very last day of Amazon UK's delivery window. Much as I want to open this, I'm going to wait & see what happens.

Lots of cold weather on the East Coast this past weekend. I'm guessing that we're moving much further south than where you are. 46 degrees is generally a temperature I can handle as an overnight low (in the winter). :)

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Glad to hear that you received yet. It's been a few weeks already since my Sopranos collection from Spain has shipped, so I'm now in the same boat. Looks like we have another week of fall like weather here, but we're supposedly in for a snowy winter this year.