Arrow Video Summer 2014 Releases (Shivers, Killer Klowns, Mark of the Devil, + more!)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, May 22, 2014.

1. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

NEKROMANTIK

[​IMG]

3-DISC DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three Buttgereit films: Nekromantik (1987), Hot Love (1985) [29 mins] and Horror Heaven (1984) [23 mins]
    - Optional English subtitles for all three films
    - Limited Edition packaging featuring new artwork by Gilles Vranckx
    - Individually-numbered #/3,000 Certificate
    - Set of 5 Exclusive Limited Edition Nekromantik “polaroid” postcards
    - Exclusive Limited Edition 100-page book.

DISC 1 [BLU-RAY] & DISC 2 [DVD] – NEKROMANTIK & JÖRG BUTTGEREIT SHORT FILMS

- Nekromantik audio commentary with Jörg Buttgereit and co writer Franz Rodenkirchen
    - Hot Love audio commentary with Buttgereit
    - Horror Heaven audio commentary with Buttgereit
    - Director’s introduction to Nekromantik
    - Alternative “Grindhouse Version” of Nekromantik, newly-transferred for this release from the only existing 35mm print [Blu-ray only]
    - In Conversation with The Death King – A brand-new 2014 interview with Buttgereit conducted exclusively for this release
    - Morbid Fascination: The Nekromantik Legacy – A brand-new 2014 documentary looking at the impact of the film on the horror scene both in the UK and abroad, featuring interviews with genre critic Alan Jones, Marc Morris, producer of Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide Parts 1 & 2, and Buttgereit biographer David Kerekes
    - Q&A with Buttgereit recorded at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts (2014)
    - The Making of Nekromantik – A vintage documentary featuring a wealth of behind-the-scenes footage, newly-transferred in HD and viewable with two different audio tracks: an English commentary with Buttgereit, co-author Franz Rodenkirchen and David Kerekes, and a German-language audio track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and producer Manfred Jelinski
    - Nekromantik Featurette – A look back at the film’s production, featuring interviews with Buttgereit and Jelinski, produced for the film’s 10-year anniversary German VHS release
    - Nekromantik Premiere – A short featurette comprised of footage from the film’s premiere in Berlin, January 1988
    - “Das Letzte” – A short featurette comprising footage from the 1985 premiere of Hot Love
    - Horror Heaven trailer featuring outtakes from the film
    - Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘I Can’t Let Go’ by Shock Therapy (1995) and ‘Lemmy, I’m a Feminist’ by Half Girl (2013)
    - Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers: Nekromantik, Der Todesking, Nekromantik 2 and Schramm
    - Extensive image gallery including behind-the-scenes stills and the rare, surrealist German-language Nekromantik comic by Berlin artist Fil, reproduced in its entirety.

DISC 3 [CD] – NEKROMANTIK SOUNDTRACK: ULTIMATE EDITION - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

- 27-track CD featuring the complete Nekromantik soundtrack composed and performed by star Daktari Lorenz and musicians John Boy Walton and Hermann Kopp, plus rare tracks from Hot Love.

100-PAGE BOOK - ‘ROMANCE IS DEAD’ - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

- Exclusive perfect-bound book featuring a new article on Nekromantik from critic Graham Rae, alongside pieces from writers David Kerekes (Sex Murder Art: The Films of Jörg Buttgereit), Kier-La Janisse (House of Psychotic Women), Linnie Blake (The Wounds of Nations ) and an archive interview with real-life necrophile Karen Greenlee, all illustrated with new artwork and original archive stills.

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

That looks pretty rad...glad I held off for the Arrow release.

3. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

So does Arrow have any plans to fix their release of Shivers?

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I don't think so.

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I emailed Arrow about Shivers last month and they said that they were still looking into this and that it is a hard problem to get to the bottom of because of multiple parties being involved. Sounds like there still might be some chance that we'll see a corrected disc but we'll see...

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Another botched Cronenberg "supervised" transfer? Looks like his stamp of approval is frankly worthless. Unless someone wants to tell me this was his "original intentions" all along.

Much like the Herzog releases I'm guessing Cronenberg is more interested in current projects and is only taking a passing glance at yet ANOTHER home video release (to their mind). It's a shame that people we've come to count from decades of earned respect are now the ones to lead us astray.

It's become more and more clear over the past few years that terms such as "supervised" or "approved" can be used after just a short e-mail exchange or single phone call; without even looking at screenshots none the less the video in motion. I'd rather if they'd refuse to comment and the publishers were prevented from using these terms in contracts. Filmmakers need to show some backbone in this regard. It's their namesakes at stake.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/945166805517314

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ Good news that there is finally an update. I just hope it does get rectified eventually.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Look the message and you can see they will be running a replacement programme for this.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yes, I know that, and clearly read that.

That's why I said "rectified eventually". They don't seem all that certain of when or if a correct replacement will even become a reality, as in the last sentence "whilst we try and reach a suitable solution."

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Still need to watch the disc itself, but A++ for the packaging on Mark of the Devil. It's all top notch, criterion-level attention to quality and detail.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

But Arrow definitely holds the edge in packaging and features. Plus that 100 page book:eek1:, just plain awesome. I would go with Arrow if you haven't picked it up yet.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. MorallySound

Glad I ordered the Arrow Videodrome Blu-ray the other day, and even had some Arrow Reward Points to use towards it so I was able to get it for $20 CDN shipped.

15. gobad2003

Glad I picked this one up also. The package is absolutely beautiful, Above and beyond the Criterion release.

16. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Shit , is that why my order is still in "not been sent" status after a few days....?

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The packaging is very nice, though I didn't pick it up in time. I love the Criterion blu-ray case, though the DVD was even more impressive. In your opinion, do the extras exclusive to the Arrow blu-ray justify a double dip?

18. gobad2003

I think so, just that 100 page book alone is pretty damn cool. I've heard the transfers themselves are nearly identical so it's up to you if it's worth it. I only had the Criterion dvd edition which like you said is pretty cool, but I wanted Arrow for the blu edition.

19. MorallySound

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_68/videodrome_blu-ray.htm for more in-depth breakdown, but here's the differences in features between the Criterion Blu and the Arrow Blu (Unique content is bold, shared content italicized):

Criterion

- David Cronenberg and director of photography Mark Irwin audio commentary

- James Woods and Deborah Harry audio commentary

- Camera (2000), a short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson, written and directed by Cronenberg

- Forging the New Flesh, a half-hour documentary featurette by filmmaker Michael Lennick about the creation of Videodrome’s video and prosthetic makeup effects

- Effects Men, an audio interview with special makeup effects creator Baker and video effects supervisor Lennick

- Bootleg Video: the complete footage of Samurai Dreams and seven minutes of transmissions from “Videodrome,” presented in their original, unedited form with filmmaker commentary

- Fear on Film, a 26-minute roundtable discussion from 1982 between filmmakers Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis, and Mick Garris

- Original theatrical trailers and promotional featurette

- Stills galleries featuring hundreds of rare behind-the-scenes production photos, special effects makeup tests, and publicity photos

- 36-page booklet featuring an essay by film critic Carrie Rickey, excerpts from a book on Videodrome by film critic and publisher Tim Lucas, and a new essay by novelist and culture critic Gary Indiana

Arrow

- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, the on-set correspondent for Cinefantastique Magazine and author of Videodrome: Studies in the Horror Film

- David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme – A documentary programme featuring interviews with Cronenberg, George A. Romero and Alex Cox on Cronenberg’s cinema, censorship and the horror genre

- Forging the New Flesh – A documentary programme by filmmaker Michael Lennick on Videodrome’s video and prosthetic make up effects

- Videoblivion: A brand new interview with cinematographer Mark Irwin

- A brand new interview with producer Pierre David

- Pirated Signals - deleted scenes found only in TV broadcasts

- AKA Jack Martin – Dennis Etchison, author of novelizations of Videodrome, Halloween, Halloween II and III and The Fog, discusses Videodrome and his observations of Cronenberg’s script

- The complete uncensored Samurai Dreams footage with additional Videodrome broadcasts with optional commentary by Michael Lennick

- Helmet Test and Betamax – Two featurettes by Michael Lennick on effects featured in the film

- Camera (2000) Cronenberg’s short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson

- Fear on Film: A round table discussion from 1982 with Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis and Mick Garris

- Original theatrical trailers and Promotional featurette with behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Cronenberg, James Woods, Deborah Harry and Rick Baker

- Transfer (1966 - 6:27) & From the Drain (1967 - 12:58), Cronenberg’s previously unavailable short films newly restored by the Toronto International Film Festival

- Stereo (1969 - 1:02:44) & Crimes of the Future (1970 - 1:02:37): Cronenberg’s early amateur feature films, shot in and around his university campus, prefigure his later work’s concerns with strange institutions (much like Videodrome’s Spectacular Optical) as well as male/female separation (Dead Ringers) and ESP (Scanners). Newly restored from original lab elements

- Transfer the Future – Author and critic Kim Newman discusses Cronenberg’s early works

- An illustrated 100-page hardback book featuring new writing including Justin Humphreys on Videodrome in a modern context, Brad Stevens on the alternate versions, Caelum Vatnsdal on Cronenberg’s early works, extracts from Cronenberg on Cronenberg featuring Cronenberg’s reminiscences of getting started in filmmaking and shooting all the films in this collection, plus more, illustrated with original archive stills.

I'd definitely say the new extras are reason to have double-dipped. A new commentary, a bunch of new featurettes, two early unreleased shorts from Cronenberg, his first two features Stereo and Crimes of the Future in HD, plus a 100-page hardback booklet. Yup!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Glad I pre-ordered mine on Amazon months ago. It only cost 20 pounds shipped and Arrow announced today that it's already officially OOP. Can't believe how fast this went, can't wait for mine to arrive.

~Matt