Arrow Video Summer 2014 Releases (Shivers, Killer Klowns, Mark of the Devil, + more!)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, May 22, 2014.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I see your Madman and raise you one Satan's Blade, The Nail Gun Massacre, Don't Go in the Woods, Pieces, The Mutilator, or Blood Rage. I'm not talking personal enjoyment here. If we're going to use a term such as "one of the worst ever," we have to aim for a modicum of objectivity and look at the craftsmanship the film. I.e. cinematography, acting, writing (plot curve, internal logic, etc.), editing, production values, etc. Madman has better cinematography than most of the titles I just mentioned. The acting is all over the place, but that is also the case with fan favourites such as The Mutilator and Blood Rage (I don't care that it's Louise Lasser, she misses believability by more than a few hairs in her disastrous 911 call).

I've sat through much of Alien Beasts (you can find it on Youtube), btw. It's not a slasher, but I am confident that technically, this is the worst movie I have ever seen (and quite unenjoyable to boot). I'm not kidding - this movie really puts things into perspective. :eek:

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

None of those are even that bad. In fact, all of those are good, or at least entertaining. You could do a lot worse.

A Night To Dismember, Hollywood's New Blood, Sledgehammer, Good Night Godbless, to name a few.

3. Kim Bruun

My point wasn't that they weren't entertaining. With the obvious exception of Satan's Blade, I think I enjoyed them all on some level, and most of them enjoy their share of popularity. My point was that Madman was a far cry from being among the worst golden age slashers. I mentioned these particular movies to put Madman in perspective on the level of cinematic craftsmanship. Madman, for one thing, is beautifully lit and shot. And while there are issues with some of the acting, it's no worse than Louise Lasser trying to convince us that there's someone on the other end of the phone in Blood Rage, or the over-emoting of the gardener in Pieces (yikes!). What I was getting at was that you cannot dismiss a movie as lousy based on personal enjoyment alone. Sledgehammer would probably exemplify a technically inferior movie which at the same time isn't very entertaining, while something like Honeymoon Horror or The Dorm That Dripped Blood may be considered technically crude, but hugely enjoyable to me at least. Would I call them masterpieces simply because I love them? No. The enjoyment is subjective, the craftsmanship, while relative - less so. :)

4. sinister

sinister Active Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    buck135 likes this.
  5. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

For me, that perspective comes from having seen more than a few Nick Millard films.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's also on Exploitation.tv. It's definitely not a good movie if you're going in expecting to watch anything coherent, but considering that Alien Beasts was made by someone with schizophrenia who is using filmmaking as an outlet for his mental illness it's an interesting piece of work under that context.

7. Kim Bruun

Aw, now I almost feel bad for criticising it. But it's not that there's nothing resembling a plot structure. Technically, the movie fails on every level. It feels like an uncomfortable visit to a very strange mind, not because of the story itself, but because the whole thing is so amateurish, so disjoined, so uncinematic, so completely alien to anything resembling traditional movie making.

And I watched it (well, snippets of it), on Exploitation.tv - if it weren't for this service, I doubt I'd ever have known that this movie existed. But I'm glad I do.

I skipped through Criminally Insane, and to Millard's credit, it at least looks like a movie. I'm not familiar enough with Millard to know how I'd compare him to Milligan, but however crude what I've seen from either of them is, neither comes even close to Alien Beasts.

8. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

when i go to their shop, i see that's it back in stock, but it nowhere states explicitly that it's the uncut version, though i think it would be stupid that they would start to sell the cut version again to have it replaced later on

either way, i just got the Rabid steelbook for 13,49€ on zavvi.nl, for Shivers i think i'm going to wait until Arrow do a sale again

9. sinister

sinister Active Member

Yes, it doesn't specifically say it's the full uncut version but I assume as they have the new pressing in hand that current stock will be updated before sending out. I'll confirm for sure when it arrives next week.

10. sinister

sinister Active Member

Got the Shivers BD from Arrow today and can confirm it's the new version with "2nd pressing" on the disc label.

hellraiser40 likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My replacement discs also arrived today. Hail to Arrow.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received mine earlier today, both inside a nice new double jewel case...I can make use of that too!

The corrected Blu-ray is region free for those wondering. The original disc was B "locked". The corrected DVD disc is still PAL format (and Region 2 "locked") however. I don't know if that means it's possibly somehow getting a domestic Blu-ray only release from them or what... but there you have it.

13. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I need to get this now that it has finally been repressed.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It'll take a while for most retailers to get fully new stock with the replacement discs.

I even bought the Zombie Flesh Eaters Blu-ray direct from Arrow well over a year after the replacement discs came out for that, yet still received the flawed discs. They replaced them without question...but that just shows how old stock can still show up far later, even when bought direct.