Awesome VHS cover art for movies that sucked...

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Mar 15, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

This is my vote. The original language may be good (I don't know cuz I've never seen that version) but when you rent or buy a film with a cover like this, the LAST thing you expect to see is a Creature From the Black Lagoon knock off.

[​IMG]

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the poster are excellent?
    That is a pretty cool cover. I'm already tempted to check some of these films out.

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

These are fresh in my mind only because I just picked them up! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I agree with Zombie Dude, that is a cool cover. And look at that cast! Barbara Bach, Richard Johnson, Joseph Cotton (!!), Cameron Mitchell, and Mel Ferrer? That thing is fucking star studded!

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Ha, yes.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It is, but the film has absolutely nothing to do with people being turned inside out. It's a movie about Fish Men.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Ok good lol. I have to also admit that the arwprk for both those films is very impressive.
    Ha, that is one misleading poster and tagline then.

8. Spit

Spit Active Member

Ran across this gem on netflix the other day. So awesome.
    [​IMG]

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Even weirder was the french translation of the title when it ran on tv here: Le Continent Des Hommes Poissons, literally translated The Continent of the Fish Men.
    Seems more appropriate than the original title.

11. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

i'm digging the shit out of this thread, and find myself kindly disagreeing with most of these pics as far as sucky movies go...keep em coming!

also, does anyone have a scan of the back cover to TRACK OF THE MOON BEAST? i've never been able to find it and i know the front scared the doo-doo out of me when i was young, but i always found the courage to turn the box over, which was often a bad mistake...i just have to see what's on it!

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

These 2 most expensive and biggest piles of shit I have ever seen. While I realize there is worse out there I loathe these 2 turds.

[​IMG]

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I might have a different opinion of this if i saw it today, but as a teenager I recall picking it up used on vhs when stores were making the transition to DVDs and being incredibly disappointed by it.

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Damn, I'd always heard good things about Screams of a Winter Night, isn't there a bigfoot type story in there?

15. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Yes but the movie is awful on all levels.

Watch it here via youtube.

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I like Screams. Is it worth all the cash folks ask for it, fuck no. If it got a proper DVD release would I buy it? In a heartbeat. The surrounding story is pretty cool, but the tales in between leave something to be desired. The first two stories actually have a cool premise and setting, but the execution is a bit weak. The third story is dumb. I own both VHS releases from VCI - blue clamshell and grey/orange box. I recall seeing a Hallmark (the logo was like a magic hat or something) release at one point on eBay a long time again but couldn't find any information on it.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The Video Dead was excellent. Smart, interesting, inventive, the characters were likable, it was funny, and unpredictable. Which is more than I can say for Evil Ed and... Night of the Creeps. (Sorry, fans, but I have a serious ax to grind against that film. Who needed it, anyway; Night of the Comet was superior.)

Depending upon your definition of terrible, it might not be. It's by far below average. Sure I'd probably rather re-watch it anyday than the vast majority of 1999-2012 "horror" dumpster-fodder. But, really, by 1983 the psycho (religious?) nutbag and crazy slasher hag flicks had already been done to death. Just watch Deranged, What's the Matter with Helen?, or Motel Hell instead. ALL of which are greatly superior.

The hate it receives is probably from the people who only had the guts to watch it once. I sat through it twice and, while it does get MARGINALLY better on the 2nd viewing, it's still so close to being complete and utter garbage that it's not worth defending. I mean, why would anyone bother to call it decent anyway; what could anyone like about it? My guess is on it being semi-unconventional. Which means, to me, that the movie thinks it's being psychological. Now, since it's not staged like a Norman Bates-Psycho movie, it may be nice to get away from the killer worrying about hiding the bodies and people who think they saw something suspicious going to the cops. I'm all for that. But, what does the movie do instead? Show us scene after scene of the might-be victims chatting it up. The death scenes aren't graphic, the psychology isn't any good, and now since it's character-focused... isn't it important to have really good actors playing these parts? I'm sorry but... I didn't even feel the atmosphere you're talking about apart from the occasional underground sequence. Well, I did feel one thing: trapped in a space with AWFUL actors. Who really wants to feel that for 75 minutes? (I factored out the credits sequences, the intro, and the driving scenes to come up with the figure.)

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'll concede that calling it "pretty awful" was a bit much on my part. But still, "excellent"? I don't think I can swallow that. I'd say it had some original concepts (few of which i can actually remember), but i thought it executed them very poorly. I know it's a super low budget film by first-time filmmakers, so a certain amount of slack is expected to be given, but the whole thing just felt flat and uninteresting. i'll agree that it was unpredictable, but in a way that just felt random and aimless, as opposed to surprising.

Haven't seen Evil Ed.

I enjoy Night of the Creeps a lot, although I haven't seen Night of the Comet.

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not a VHS, but definitely falls into the cool artwork and shitty movie category.

[​IMG]

I mean, really shitty.

20. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

One fan's trash is another fan's treasure as I always say.

While I can't agree with "flat and uninteresting", I can agree with "excellent" - but that's because I am a fan of the flick. I saw it at a very young age and just the concept of it alone was enough to get me to fall in love with it.

Growing up I knew it was a "bad" film so to speak, but I still enjoyed it, it had a certain charm other films hadn't really captured since. You could see there was love put into the film, it was an ambiguous little film that set out to be something different; and there can be no argument that it at the very least accomplishes that.

I don't normally defend it or any other bad b-movies I enjoy, and in a sense I'm not, but I do love the film, enough to call it "excellent" and not the train wreck some would like to make it out to be. There are far worse and far less creative flicks out there that have been made before and after it, and there's people out there screaming, "Worst movie ever made!". That always brings me to wonder exactly what they have seen, because if this is the worst they've seen - they've missed out on quite a few gems.