Ban The Sadist Videos Documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by Ecstatica, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

I've found a great documentary on youtube about video nasties. It's cool to know about the censorship during that time and what impact these movies had when everybody could finally see them at home without 'supervision'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xruck30dm4U

Be sure to watch all the 10 parts of the video.

Will someone please think of the children?

Attached Files:

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Great - since I know the guy that made this I'm sure he'll appreciate it being stolen and posted on Youtube. I've contacted him, see what he can do. :rolleyes:

3. dude, this is amazing. tell him he did a great job and that having this shit up on YouTube will only increase dvd sales cuz now I want it.

4. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

that's been on you-tube for a while...........

5. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Please tell me this is a joke. :(

6. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

it's no joke, dwatts is a hypocrit, he makes free with emulators and roms and calls it ok, but refers to any other form of piracy as theft.

7. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Well, I better save this doc while I still can, I only got to part 3 or so. Its a really good doc, but my region-free capabilities are a bit shoddy to say the least for me to warrant a buy.

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Yes, I've used a ROM! Shoot me. :lol:

So - if I wanted to start a DVD review site, all I have to do is copy all the reviews from DVD Maniacs (or wherever) and paste them onto my site. Because hey, it's all good, right? And after all, I used a ROM! You guys make me laugh. I *know* the people getting ripped off here, I go drinking with them, so yes, I contacted them about it. If you knew someone personally, and knew they were getting ripped off - you're such a good friend you wouldn't mention it at all - you'd just say - "Well, I used an emulator, therefore it would be hypocritical to let my friend know."

Having a laugh? Yeah, I think you are. :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  9. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

It doesn't matter what dwatts thinks. He's not the copyright holder and can't do anything about it. All he did is let his friends know about it and they can make the decision about pursuing the matter.

10. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Exactly. Thank you for seeing through clear water. :D I let the copyright holder know that their work was up on Youtube. It's got nothing to do with what I think other than alerting them. But when it comes to friends, I help out when I can. Don't we all?

Although it worries me a little that if, say, Nemesis went onto a DVD review site and found all of Rhett's review cut and pasted, and reformatted - he would feel conflicted about letting the owners of this site know for fear of being labelled a hypocrit over a ROM of a 30 year old game that he played two years ago. I mean, that's just weird to me. I'd tell them myself. I guess, talk about hypocrit, he'd simply do it over PM so we wouldn't know he broke the super-secret code of "borrowing" or something. :lol:

Oh well, I guess you learn something about people all the time.

I hope the copyright holders act, but we'll see. At least now they know.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

there is a distinct difference there... reviews are written to generate traffic for a specific site, you steal the reviews and post them somewhere else then it generates traffic there and is in direct competition to you and impacts the effect of the review on your site.

this video is not being sold for profit and really, it's not even going to be seen by that many people who would have been potential customers and aren't now so i don't see them as quite the same.

though in principle i agree, it's theft and it's wrong. and i just bring that bit out about roms because it's the only thing i ever remember you admitting to that was illegal! haha it doesn't matter how often you did it or how long you played it for :p

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, I did try to contact Mother Theresa in order to report it, since she's as pure as driven snow. However a) She didn't own a computer, b) There was no electricity in the village she was at, c) She was dead. So all that left was me. :lol:

There's simply no point in this debate since the usual people will come in to bash, and the same old viewpoints will be raised. Your distinction is pretty thin, imo. What these things are used for really doesn't change the basic point. There's no difference between traffic to a web site and sales of a disc, imo.

Regardless - the real point here is that I happen to know some of the people involved here. I got to hear how difficult it was for them to put it together, the costs, the renting of equipment, the travel requirements, the licenses, the long editing process, the distribution deals. I know a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it. They're friends. So is it really so bad that I reported this to them? Is that really particularly strange? If so, then we can both live with the consequences. :D

By the way - the video IS being sold for profit, why do you think it's not?

13. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i think NEM is refering to the fact that while being on you-tube, there's no profit to be gained....

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Youtube was sold for hundreds of millions of dollars. Someone made a profit. ;)

Still, that wasn't the reason I took the action I did. Maybe they'll decide they don't care it's up there? Who knows.

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

ah, i just like stirring the pot whenever you get defensive about piracy ;) i'd have done the same thing in your position

16. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

the party who uploaded the documentary isn't making a profit..;)

17. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Right, but really that doesn't make an ounce of difference. It's splitting hairs to justify an action. :D

But boy, we've been over this a hundred times before. ;)

It's their decision if they do anything, which is how it should be methinks. I don't regret what I did at all.

18. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

no, splitting hairs was ur statment about YOU-TUBE bein sold for millions to create the connection of a profit being made by one lonely individual uploading said video....;)

but to be fair, i can see justification in u contacting the owner considering u know the them personally,....if u did not know them, u'd be a hypocrit....

i could care less either way...i enjoyed the shit of the doc....:D

19. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I don't mind being accused of being a hypocrite mate. In fact, some people on here have accused me of a lot worse - I soon got over it. :lol:

20. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

yes but we forgave you for that incident with the goat and the tube of lube :)