Best version of "Evil Dead" to get on blu??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Not sure if theres a ton out there, but which version would you all recommend..?? thanks.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

In the U.S.?

The initial release was a limited 2-disc version, the second disc being a bonus DVD with all the extra features. After the initial run, it was replaced with a single disc version that was just the blu-ray disc from the original set. Pretty sure that's all that's available now.

I got the 2-disc back when it was released, but you'd probably have a difficult time finding a copy now. I think the UPCs might even be the same on both versions, so it could be a nightmare for ordering online. If you're looking for extras, you might be better off importing (unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable about the overseas releases).

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It'd be cheaper to buy the single disc Blu-Ray and supplement it with the Ultimate Edition DVD set than it would be to buy the OOP 2 disc set. All of the extras on the bonus DVD are included in the Ultimate Edition discs.

4. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Best Buy has a neat looking steelbook for only 14.99 :). The only special feature though is the new commentary w/ Raimi, Tapert and Campbell :(.

[​IMG]

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I purchased the 2-Disc Blu-Ray when it originally came out. Not sure how limited it was when it first came out. Evil Dead was the first Blu-Ray I purchased, and at the time I didn't own a HD TV nor a Blu-Ray player. The great thing about having the bonus disc is that all the extras that are included in the Ultimate Edition DVD, which I also happen to own, some of the extras are on two separate discs.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Kind of odd Anchor Bay hasn't done a new edition of Evil Dead!

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It was very limited. I recall going to Best Buy the day it came out to find out they didn't carry it. Walmart of all places had it. Within months it was never to be seen again.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yup, it was extremely limited...I guess only the first pressing. I saw it out in a couple of stores like Best Buy and Hastings, and those were gone almost immediately. The restocks were just the 1-disc then.

I got mine from Amazon as pre-ordered, and I think it was only their original shipment that had the 2-disc.

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have the 2 disc and it was pre-ordered on Amazon - surprised it seems to have been gone pretty quickly - glad I got it when I did instead of procrastinating

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I got mine from a Meijer store of all places. It was $9.99 and part of their Halloween selection, about a month or so after it was released. But yeah, the limited version wasn't around very long. Glad I got mine when I did.

11. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

The Uk BD is region free and features over 2.5 hrs of supplementary material including a new commentary with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell and a documentary titled The Untold Saga Of The Evil Dead. There is also another segment called Treasures From the Cutting Room Floor. The disc also has a DTS HD MA 5.1 mix. Could be a cheaper option and has all these extras over your domestic BD.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The newer US 1-disc Blu-ray has that same new commentary, and the documentary and segment are included on the limited bonus DVD that came with it.

It's a good option if the OOP limited Blu-ray/DVD can't be found, but if one is looking solely for extras they might otherwise want to just seek out the old Evil Dead "Ultimate Edition" DVD set, which had the same features and more.

13. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Yep good point. The UK BD has a DTS HD track over the Dolby TruHD on the US if anybody had a preference over these two codecs. I would have thought they were similar though.

14. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

thanks all, quess this will be re-released.. soon again..

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Same here. In fact, I went there to get one for another forum member who was looking, saw 2 copies and the sale price, so I got the second one for myself. Amazingly this was also a month after release (thanks record keeping side of me showing 10/10/10), but all other stores like Best Buy sold out of them within release week.

Like others have said, the solo bd and UE dvd gives you all the extras and more. I'm actually kinda stunned there is so much demand for the LE BD with the bonus disc just being recycled extras from and on a dvd. If I was looking to get the movie now, I'd go with that fine looking steelbook since it's the same disc as every solo release (and the LE's too) with the best cover art, then get the UE dvd for all the extras (if you're into extras).

16. inkmachine

inkmachine Member

Anyone have any pics of this version you're talking about that is limited and wasn't out for too long at all??

I'm not sure if I have this one and I want to check if I do and be sure that I'm looking for the correct version.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Here you go. This page shows both versions:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5262

18. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

The LE and the current 1-disc edition have the same cover art. The LE is very clearly labelled w/ a "Limited Edition" banner across the top, and the contents of the extra DVD are listed on the back.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I picked up the single disc last Black Friday for $4 and I have enough special features on the old DVD releases!!

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah. My memory is quite different from everybody elses here. I remember waiting for what seemed like a long time for the LE to disappear and the single disc to arrive so that I could pick it up cheap. I was only interested in the new stuff: the HD transfer and commentary.