Beware the Slenderman (documentary)

Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Lurking in the shadows of the Internet, a faceless modern-day bogeyman has attracted the attention and fear of a young generation who whisper his name online. Slenderman lives on the dark pages of the web, where impressionable youth create and cultivate his mythos in message boards, YouTube clips and various other digital incantations. But the online fairy tale becomes a shocking real-life horror as two 12-year-old girls, guided by their devotion to Slenderman, lure their friend into the woods to attempt a seemingly inexplicable, brutal murder. From the depths of one the Internet's most unsettling creations to the court case that must consider the consequences, Beware the Slenderman brings to light questions of accountability in an age where young, growing minds are only a few clicks away from creating and consuming something that may influence them to commit unspeakable crimes.

This premiered on HBO last night. Anyone else check it out? I've been following this story in the news as I find it really interesting. I watched this last night and it was down right fucking creepy at times.

This documentary was excellent. I especially liked the fact they spent a good deal of time with the parents of the two girls who attempted to murder their best friend. The media wanted to paint these two little girls as monsters. The police interviews of these girls shortly after the stabbings, were truly unbelievable. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

I highly suggest checking this out if you get a chance. Incredibly interesting stuff.

othervoice1 and The Joker like this.
  2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been wanting to see this documentary since I heard about it. Glad to hear you found it that interesting. Now I want to see it even more! I wonder if it'll be on HBOGo?

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm fascinated by the Slenderman phenomenon and cannot wait to watch this.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

One of the reasons why this documentary worked so well for me was the fact they spent a good amount of time on both subjects. The Slenderman phenomenon and the attempted murder by two 12 year old girls in Wisconsin. It's a true crime documentary as well as a documentary on Slenderman. Extremely interesting watch. I'm going to be following their trial which is coming this year. It's really an unprecedented case.

The Joker and Workshed like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watching this now, and unfortunately it's not very good. I guess I just don't get the whole Slenderman/creepypasta thing. As for the crime, the girl's mom said her first clue that something was wrong with her daughter is that she didn't react properly to Bambi?

So far, there's nothing here you didn't get from the news blurb when it happened.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I remember the Bambi story but I think you interpreted it wrong. I don't think the mother told that story in the context of "I noticed something wrong when we watched Bambi" I gotta watch it again though.

There was a TON of info not included in any news story.

The biggest aspect of the story I got from the documentary that was never included in any news story was the fact one of the girls is a schizophrenic and has been since she was 3 years old. Her father is as well. She's been seeing hallucinations her entire childhood. I think that was the most interesting aspect of the story