Black Water (2007)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Another based on true events killer croc movie swimming our way. No official release date yet but it's been playing at a few film festivals. Check out the Trailer here: http://www.blackwatermovie.com/

2. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

As I was watching the trailer, all I could think of was "Uh oh, this looks like Open Water with crocs."

Then I started checking out the site and, sure enough, it was all Open Water this and Open Water that. :sleepy:

If it is another Open Water clone, I hope they at least do better than the people they are ripping off, but the trailer doesn't inspire confidence.

The Year of the Croc is just not working out damnit. Maybe Rogue will save us?

EDIT: That crappy http://www.blackwatermovie.com/ site locked up my browser and made me have to kill it all, including the post I was just about to submit here. :mad:

Black Water is losing points by the second.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  3. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Movie looks fun! Will be honored to see it :D !!

Their is another True movie called "Primeval"l that just came out on dvd. Its a 25' croc , which still lives in the rivers of Africa.
    Check it out!!
    http://video.movies.go.com/primeval/

4. shift

shift Hot as shit!

when is it suppose to be out?

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Killer croc movies. I can't resist them, even when they look as predictable as this one. :D

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It must have sensed your negative comment you were about to post ;)

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My ears are still ringing, damaged by loud shrieks coming from my female guests watching ...

[​IMG]

So yeah, I guess it had its thrilling moments to say the least. The whole concept is indeed very Open Water but also Cujo as we witness three people trapped in a tree with a blood thirsty crocodile patiently waiting a few feet down below for dinner.
    Black Water takes a bit to get in gear but once it does shrieks are guaranteed ;)

I bought the German DVD which was released this week. The disc comes with 16x9 Widescreen (1.78:1) transfer and DD 5.1 English audio. No extras except for trailers.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

source: www.fangoria.com

9. shift

shift Hot as shit!

It's coming :D

10. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I finally got to see BLACK WATER.

This movie really reminds me of Open Water .

Basically it’s about 3 people that hires a fishing guide (total of 4 people).

Mr. Fishing Guide anchors the little john boat then Mr. Alligator tips it over and 3-of them stay up into a tree until they find out how they can get out alive.

Movie for a few minutes drew some suspense, but this movie got really boring and that is why I brought up the movie Open Water. YAWN!!

2 out of 5 for me.

11. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Even the cover reminds me of Open Water. I'll definitely check this out but I know it won't hold a candle to Open Water, which is one of my favorite movies.

12. shift

shift Hot as shit!

You'll like this one if you liked Open Water. To me, at least in Black Water things were happening (trying to get away)

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I did not scream once in this movie. Instead, I was dead silent, not saying a word or breathing too loudly no matter how scared and tense I was. I guess that I didn't want to draw the croc's attention my way. :nervous:

This movie really filled me with completely delicious adrenaline rush fright. I am not sure if it was because it was so well done or because it really worked over and owned my own personal fear set, but either way it worked for me. Great purchase, thanks for showing me the way Hellbilly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Caught this last weekend, It's pretty good overall. It did remind me allot of the superior Open Water but I thought it did a reasonable job executing it's tension if not completely successful in it's setup. For some reason though i thought I would enjoy it more then i did. Oh well time to watch Rogue next.

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

This movie was damn stressful to watch. I swear every time someone went into the water, I got up off my couch, ready to turn away. Great pacing, acting, location, tension.

couple of probs I had with it:

1. the night time storm, complete with croc moving in the lightning flashes, seemed like a direct rip-off of Open Water.

2. The croc supremely sucked at killing people. In fact I think the only reason the pregnant sister survived her attack was so the ending could be all tragic. A little too obvious and weakened the film's overall effect on me.

3. I think it would've been a bit better if occasionally the croc didn't show up when you expected it to. It became a bit predictable.

In spite of those complaints though I really enjoyed this movie. It just could have been a bit better for me. I mean it had a killer croc, awesome location, scary I-don't-know-what's-in-the-water premise, and a cute sister so how could it fail?

Seriously though. Everytime they went in the water....

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The film was very "meh" for me. It was far too predictable in that every time they went in the water, the croc would show up. The scene at night was a massive Open Water rip-off, and the time they spent in the tree was akin to watching paint dry. I also found the final act to be too theatrical for all of the realism the directors seemed to be going for with everything else.

As usual, more here: http://www.screamindemon.com/2008/06/22/black-water/

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't realize they had made a sequel to this:

[​IMG]

Black Water: Abyss is being released on VOD August 7th by Screen Media.

fceurich39 likes this.
  18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Just found the first film on dvd I liked it very much looking forward to this one. The bluray and DVD of black water abyss comes out this Oct I think.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

With theaters closed, I've been having to resort to the weekly VOD offerings for my new movie fix. And this week was Black Water: Abyss.

I thought it was a huge disappointment. About 90% of the movie takes place in a cave, with the characters just sitting on the safety of a rock. In this 98 minute movie, we get maybe 2 minutes worth of crocodile that is perhaps driven up to a total of 4 minutes during the final 10 minutes. I know what you're thinking, power of suggestion, "Jaws didn't show the shark" (except that it did), yada yada etc. However, this movie does next to nothing in the remaining 94 minutes to create tension and make you afraid for these characters. There was one scene where a woman is reaching over the water to retrieve a backpack or inhaler or something, and you think the croc might jump out. Otherwise, there's not a lot of tension here. It doesn't help that the characters are a bore. The closest thing to character development is that so-and-so slept with so-and-so's boyfriend and now she's pregnant and the baby might be his. How original.

I will say that the last 10 minutes are surprisingly exciting and fun. When the credits roll, you do kind of leave on a high. However, that doesn't change the fact that the preceding hour plus was a huge bore. It does make you briefly forget though.

If and when it shows up on a streaming service, it's watchable enough I guess. I don't think I'd recommend paying to rent or own it.

Zombie Dude, maskull and fceurich39 like this.
  20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Cool. I didn't realize this was available already. I really enjoyed the first movie. Not high expectations, and maybe even less now from CPT HOOK's post, but I'm still giving it a watch. I am getting sick of movie makers using the sleeping with each other thing to create tension. It's become so lazy.