Blu Ray Frustration

Discussion in 'General' started by Angelman, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

As a recent (this past Sunday) adopter of Blu Ray I was shocked to see how little was on Blu Ray of my favorite genre. 2009 appears to be - and this holiday season may be more telling - a breakout year for the format. And, many of the top companies holding rights to older, beloved titles (Starz/AB, Blue Underground) have yet to release major titles even though they have recent hi-def masters sitting around. I realize times are tough economically - but where is ZOMBIE, SUSPIRIA, ROSEMARY'S BABY, THE BEYOND, PSYCHO, NOTLD ('68)?

Theories?

Would be curious what horror you are awaiting most on Blu, as well...?

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Suspiria and NOTLD are controlled by Weinsteins, who have seemingly abandoned Blu-ray for awhile. Maybe we'll get NOTLD along with Romero's new zombie flick and I think we still need to wait out the current Suspira contract before Weinsteins will roll the dice on that one. Overall though they need to start making money before they can focus on their back catalog.

Blue Underground has picked up the pace recently, so hopefully they'll get to Fulci soon. As for the rest... Don't know. North By Northwest is coming for this Christmas, so hopefully Universal will follow with Psycho soon enough.

I own over 50 titles in horror already, so considering you've been Blu for less than a week I think there's plenty for you to catch up on.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

One good thing about your Blu-ray player is that it should also up-convert your Dvds. So if your TV is nice enough you should see a big improvement in your current collection. There are a few DVDs that I'm having a hard time justifying an upgrade to the blu-ray version for. Sin City being at the top of that list.

I am looking forward to getting Return of the Living Dead and a complete Friday the 13th box set in blu-ray.

Now seems like a great time to get in on Blu-ray. There are aggressive sales and price reductions galore right now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. Angelman

Well - I just found out that I am due a significant amount of $$$ in overlooked commission from my work... so It won't take too long to catch up. I got a nice head start due to Best Buy's $12.99 sale. In reality it was the upcoming Night of the Creeps that got me to make the leap. But Alien would be nice... etc. I always want more. Want to be ready for October and Halloween (the holiday) this year!

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the alien quadrilogy was supposed to come the end of the year but it got delayed and will be released when alien prequel comes out

also i hope return of the living dead comes to blu-ray also night of the living dead was supposed to be out end of last year but that is when the weinstein company started having financial problems

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Alien is one of those movies that was done so well on DVD that it will be interesting to see if the Blu-ray is much of a leap in visuals and features. There is a good chance that the sound will be much improved if you have one of the latest receivers (which I do not). The Alien Quadrilogy is still the most impressive treatment I've ever seen a movie franchise given. I doubt the level of thought and care put into its making will ever be topped.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Seeing as how there are still great films that never got the DVD treatment, chances are, there'll be a hefty ammount of time before Blu can catch up 100% (if ever, really)

8. Angelman

Yeah.

Alien is such a well-photographed film that I imagine, as Rhett says in some of his Blu reviews, it will take on that "window-like" quality where it actually looks like your TV is a window and you are watching it in real life. The sound on some of these Blu discs is jaw dropping. T2 sounded like there was a motorcycle in my house.

ROTLD is another I would love on Blu. There are maybe 50 horror movies I would die to own, and the rest are gravy. Of course there are all the others too - Godfather, etc.

NOTLD is odd to me because word on the street (rumor) was that the Weinsteins ponied up for a new HD xfer... not sure if that is true, but I WANT THAT.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

NOTLD is already on BD, it's just a Region B disc so I hope you got yourself a region free player because if you didn't then who knows how long you're going to have to wait... I believe there is also a Suspiria BD out there but it's also region B, Italian only (iirc) and, also iirc, people were complaining about the video quality so that one is pretty much useless anyway. I've only seen that one on ebay and it was expensive! But yeah, I agree, there isn't much out there right now, most of my favorite disc's so far are imports.

12. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Hopefully most of these films get definitive releases on Blu-Ray. I can't stand double dipping. It looks as though they're already getting people to double dip on Blu-Ray releases like "No Country For Old Men" and "I Am Legend." It happened to me so many times with DVD.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Blu is definitely in its infancy and I think I jumped on board earlier than I originally anticipated. Still, I'm glad I did and I'm enjoying it a lot.

DVD still lives on and I have no problem waiting for some of these releases. I'm hoping it means they are going to do them right, but who knows on that.

It's one thing if some of our favorites didn't exist on DVD, or the DVD was a poor release, but AB Suspiria DVD still holds up pretty well, doesn't it? I would take a blu-ray, too, but I can live with the DVD for now. It's not likely we are stuck with a VHS release (like Night of the Creeps for all these years).

14. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Just made the leap myself. Bought a 58" plasma and a network enabled Blu Ray player. Enjoying it so far, the only downside is I want to upgrade all my DVDs now (and with about 1,500 DVDs in my collection that's a lot of $$$!) :) Like someone else said, anxiously awaiting more good vintage horror releases.

15. Angelman

You are absoultely right. That said, having thrown on some of the movies I know well - Haloween, T2, Hellraiser, Shining - and see how amazingly crisp they are in Blu has made me want more.

Part 2 of this equasion is that I'm totally OCD and just want to upgrade.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just converted to Blu-Ray myself and I already have 9 horror titles in a one week. Money will be flying out of my wallet now that I have seen how crisp the picture is. So far, I've watched The Shining and American Psycho on Blu-Ray and they kick ass. Of course, I'm still buying new DVDSs as well, but only those that are not released on Blu-Ray as well. I think we need to be a little more patient. When the flood begins, and it will, you won't be able to keep up with the Blu-Ray horror releases.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Blu-ray is starting to explode from a niche format to a full fledged consumer replacement for DVD now. You're seeing players sold for under $100, Blu-ray discs for under $10, and the format slowly but surely getting ever more shelf space on store shelves and in rental stores.

Whoever thought we'd get Hardware, Night of the Creeps, Screwballs and others coming out in HD? You'll begin to see more obscure titles flood out on the format in the future.

DVD's still look quite good, if the transfer is solid. But you can generally see a hell of a lot more in 1080p and hear more in uncompressed or lossless audio. Some Blu-rays don't have that "wow factor" due to the film stock and lack of proper restoration (among other factors), but I own many Blu-rays in my collection now that utterly blow away the old DVDs.

18. Angelman

You said it. I'm just impatient I guess. The lossless audio really grabs me, maybe as much as the picture. I've already reached out to some friends at working studios to see if they can help get me a deal on Blu's straight from the studios - that employee discount they get is crazy.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, technically, anyone could release a Night of the Living Dead blu-ray. Since it's public domain the Weinsteins have no legal control over it. I would assume that they would own the rights to a print that they struck or whatever, but basically anyone with the money can release their own DVD or blu-ray of Night of the Living Dead. I have no idea how or why they got the rights to the original Suspiria. Even with them getting a remake going, it doesn't seem like a title they would want to acquire. I wish The Beyond would have went to BU with all the other Anchor Bay titles, but unfortunately I'm pretty certain Grindhouse has the rights and well, we know how long it takes them to put something out. I think there's plenty of horror out on blu-ray for how young the format is. Maybe not the movies everyone wants, but I know for a fact I own 40 horror flicks on blu-ray. That said, I too am craving all of Argento's classics and some Fulci. And if those rumors about Hellraiser 2, Demons 1 & 2, Re-Animator, and The Evil Dead are true, I'll be extremely happy.

20. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I just went blu ray yesterday, and picked up A Clockwork Orange, and I was amazed at how good it looked and sounded. I got one of those under a $100 blu ray players and it seems to be a good one. I too though wish there were a wider variety of horror, but I think more is starting to pop up. What we really need is the UNCUT version of Warlock Moon, and please someone do it this time besides Media Blasters.