Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento (Paperback)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I never bought this book. It was already very OOP when I first heard about it, and the copies on the net were just too expensive.
    Actually I don't know if this is a good read but many people swear this is the ultimate Dario Argento book.

Now the news. The book has been reissued with some new text and a few new pictures. Also a new cover:
    [​IMG]

Here's what Maitland said about this back in 2009:
    Available now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Mirror...r_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271273464&sr=8-18

Put it on my wishlist. Will see when I have some money for it.

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Seriously this is THE book on Argento. The analysis is very well written, Argento's themes are extremely explored, This will bring you closer to a new appreciation of his work. I have the 1st edition and nothing that came after can even compare with this. Be prepared for a lot of reading. This is a must for film buffs and Argentophiles.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

My girlfriend got me the OOP edition for Christmas over a year ago and I totally forgot about it! I must have stashed it in a pile of books somewhere in my apartment. Time to dig it up and give it a read. Thanks for the heads-up...

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

man, what a lousy boyfriend you are!:rolleyes:

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have the original edition,fine book.I've also exchanged e-mails with the author,very bright woman and well versed in a lot of offbeat genres.She's been a consultant for TV GUIDE (handled their Halloween specials),worked as a freelancer for many genre mags and has written a number of other books,including one on erotic films.She pops up in a couple of Roberta Findlay's old horror pics too.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've never been a huge fan of the book, as I've said in several posts before. In fact, here's a post of mine:

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, I know :(

But Paff is right- it is a bit of a heavy read. When I received it over the holidays I remember there was just too much stuff going on to be able to sit down and properly concentrate. So I set it aside for a while and promptly forgot about it! Yup, whatta jerk....

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i was interested in it at first, but now paffs put me off it. i think id be a bit more interested in something more biographical, on the making of the films and the italian film industry in the 70s/80s than an extended critical analysis of the films.

9. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Which, of course, is much like "Profondo Argento". A great book and easy to read. I don't want to get "exhausted" while reading. And whith English not being my mother tongue, I might struggle with McDonagh's thesis.

Dave, perhaps you should read both "Profondo Argento" and "La Dolce Morte" , that way you get exactly what you need!

Profondo Argento seems to be OOP, but I'm sure there's a cheap version floating around the web somewhere.
    La Dolce Morte is kinda expensive @ $38, but it's woth the money. You could wait for one of Amazon.co.uk's sales and buy it very cheap. Bought mine last year for 5 Pounds! ($9)

Anyway, I think I'll buy the McDonagh book to see if I like it. It's not too expensive.

10. The Chaostar

If you want to KNOW Argento this is the book. If you want trivia, it's all out on the internet, why bother buying a book? The critical analysis for me is a masterwork and I've read shitloads of them.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I agree with Paff as well!

12. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I thought this book was fantastic. Its exploration of the films and their meanings enhanced my viewing pleasure about a hundred fold. I'm pretty surprised that people read it and were disappointed! This is about the films, not the director and his life and how he made those films.

13. j tea

j tea New Member

i have the one with the opera still on the cover. it is a pretty satisfying read although i felt like she was reaching quite a bit on her analyses. that being said, it is fun to think that the movies i really enjoy watching are more than schlocky t&a and blood feasts.

14. pdw

pdw New Member

I had this book. Lost it during the last move, I believe. Shame. It's a great book.

15. sinister

sinister Active Member

Also agree with Paff on this one, was disappointed by this book. Too much rambling, over analysis where for pages at a time you can easily forgot which film, scene or director are even being discussed.

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations but it seems this may be aimed more at film academics in general, than the average Argento movie fan.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  16. The Chaostar

Wow some people are lazy readers....

17. sinister

sinister Active Member

I managed to get through all ~700 pages of De Sade's 120 days of Sodom, an achievement in itself, but I found Broken Mirrors tougher going, haha.

18. The Chaostar

Maybe Argento's films are richer than what you expected.