Burial Ground coming to Blu 6/11!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by eric_angelus, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The Prowler is Blue Underground. That's why it's as good as it is.

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Riki-Oh is suppose to be out in September on BD through the Tokyo Shock label.

I really hope Media Blasters doesn't half ass this one as well...if they do, it'll probably be the last BD I buy from them...these transfers are unacceptable.

They need to redeem themselves here...with a great Riki-Oh BD, or a Don't Go in the House BD, or uncut Just Before Dawn BD.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I dunno what the hell happened, but Barnes and Noble just cancelled my order of this. Maybe something is telling me I really shouldn't be buying this. I guess I'll put my coupon towards The Exterminator Blu instead :)

4. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Mine hasn't shipped from Deep Discount yet either.I ordered it july 27th.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I ordered mine from Deep Discount on July 23rd and haven't received it yet either. Stranger still, I tried to cancel the order a few weeks back when I read some of the terrible reviews regarding the transfer and Deep Discount said I couldn't cancel because the order was "processing." I would have thought that meant the disc was basically on it's way yet I haven't received notice that it has even shipped yet.

6. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I got a message saying that it was out of stock.Meaning they probably never had it.

7. Mutilated Prey

I quickly caved as I just found a guy on eBay selling the Blu for $12.49 shipped.

8. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Mine shipped Aug 22 (1 day early) from Amazon.ca - priced $11.58!

Free/Slow shipping but should arrive this Monday...

9. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

So my BURIAL GROUND blu arrived yesterday...

...and it's INCREDIBLE!! Sure there's the mosquito noise to complain about, the alternate framing and (talked about) missing bits from the film's runtime (all of which sound like definite reasons to toss this disc in the garbage) but here's the truth - NONE of that stands in the way of enjoying this blu-ray presentation.

Only 2 or 3 times did the mosquito noise become distracting when watching the film play - and actually watching the film is very different from analyzing over still images. The alternate framing never once called attention to itself (no noticeable gore/nudity out of frame, no distracting abundance of extra head room or tightly cropped shots) and as for the talked about issue that this print is actually cut... well perhaps it is, but I honestly could not tell you what might be missing. The film still seems as gory as ever, complete with the beheadings, flesh and gut munching and (of course) full on nipple bite.

After enjoying the blu last night I threw on my 2002 Shriek Show DVD for comparison. Immediately I could see just how cleaner and sharper the blu-ray is. The difference really is fantastic - the DVD is littered with compression artifacts (all the more noticeable when compared to the blu) and its colors are duller and overall looks much more murky and smeared. The blu, complete with mosquito noise, is BY FAR the preferred way to view the film at this point.

Also of note, I could not find any difference between the gore in the DVD and that of the blu-ray. I specifically looked at the maid's death (which I believe was talked about as being cut?) but they both looked identical in terms of gore and timing. I might have missed something, but really it had no impact on the enjoyment I had with this new blu.

I've been a huge fan of BURIAL GROUND since back on Vestron's old VHS. I owned the Japanese print back on VHS in the mid-90's before great films like this one were getting the re-release attention they deserved. When I think back to 2002 and how I paid $40 for the then "brand new" remastered 16/9 DVD... I just can't believe ANY FAN of this great film would not be happy with today's new blu-ray.

Especially considering it can be had for the nothing price of $12!!
    Shit you can spend more than that on fast food (and that DOES smell like death!)

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'm glad to finally hear a good review on this disc. Deep Discount sent me an email yesterday stating that the movie was finally on the way.

11. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I still gotta pick this up

12. Mutilated Prey

Me too - very encouraging. I too saw a positive review of the Blu on YouTube. The didn't even complain at all about the grain. Mine should be here any day now. I have a feeling this is going to one of those Blu's where everyone bitches about quality, then it goes OOP and everyone will want it regardless.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I saw this in a store for $12 and grabbed it but put it back after "coming to my senses" - I think people's expectations are WAY too high sometimes. This good review is enough to convince me to pick it up.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

"Very encouraging"? Hardly. "Very encouraging" is when something is getting rave reviews across the board, NOT when 1 or 2 people out of dozens find it acceptable. When that happens, do you know what that boils down to? Diminished expectations of the consumer. Either that, or somebody on the take. I mean seriously... No offense, but RickMoe says that he's from "Tromaville". That kind of says a lot about his opinion regarding quality.

Media Blaster's Burial Ground is a shit release. Just accept it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. Mutilated Prey

It IS encouraging to me when a not every person out there thinks it's sucks, that's just my opinion. I'll be my own judge when I view it for myself. I'm not nearly as anal when it comes to grain, framing, NR, etc. as many folks on this board. I'm more of an audiophile.

I will however laugh my ass off at your Tromaville comment although RickMoe might not find it as humorous :lol:

16. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Haha! You're right on the money, Maybrick.

I'm also a huge fan of the Polonia Brothers, Jon McBride and Conrad Brooks so you got it, quality's not always the top of my list. But with this blu I was expecting a nightmare and seriously considered canceling my pre-order when I read about all the problems. I didn't mostly because I took a chance on $12 and worst case it was a throwaway.

But I was honestly happy with the quality and though it's probably the worst blu-ray I have in quality terms (rivaling ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST and SCREWBALLS), it still was the best presentation of the film I've come across. Sure another company could have made it shine brighter but shit, it was only $12.

Glad to have it.

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The worst Blu-ray in my collection is an Australian flick called Attack Force Z - it can't possibly look worse than that. I think people expect too much sometimes. Some movies are actually better off with a "Grindhouse-y" look as opposed to looking like a music video finished last week. This is one of those films. I'll be buying this.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Grindhouse doesn´t equal, analog video/mosquito/chroma noise, as that is not a part of the 35mm print. That´s a serious flaw in the tele-cine that causes that shit.

We don´t expect an old italian low budget movie to look like Avatar, but at least we damand that it looks like FILM and not like some messy analog cable broadcast.

But I won´t stop any of you if you wanna buy this mess. It´s your money. ;)
    Just beware, the bigger the screen, the worse it will look.

19. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

I agree that we all want BURIAL GROUND to look like film on blu, but that's likely not to happen while it rests in Shriek Show's hands. But blu-ray should be the highest, best possible presentation format available - and I'd argue that in this case, it is.

I'm sure some of you here bought the film on DVD? Well that disc looks like a blocky mess on HD tvs. It's unwatchable. To make matters worse, it looks nothing like film but instead a completely digitized (and pulsing!) compressed picture. Watching that disc on any sized HD monitor is a nightmare. The DVD I'd fully advocate to the dumpster.

But watching the blu on an HD 46" Plasma is really quite good. Certainly the image is nowhere near as bad as ANY of the screen caps I've seen on this and several other sites. Watching the film in motion really is necessary to fully judge how good/bad it appears.

Really though, this blu-ray IS the best possible presentation of BURIAL GROUND yet. It's not shrouded in darkness, not smeary and bland and certainly not pulsating with compression artifacts. Instead it actually LOOKS like 16mm - just with mosquito noise that your eye naturally wants to overlook (in the same fashion that persistence of vision works when watching a film projected - you do not see the black between every frame). All in all, if the film was in the hands of a better company (or perhaps Shriek Show had some access to better machinery), we'd be seeing a better product. But that ain't the case right now... this blu-ray IS the best presentation possible in this situation.

Honestly, throw those DVDs away.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watched the Burial Ground DVD on my 42" 1080P LCD tv the other night and it didn't look like a mess, quite watchable actually. So much so that I doubt I will buy the BD anytime soon.