Classic Universal Vs. Classic Hammer

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by shape22, Sep 18, 2011.

?

Classic Universal or classic Hammer?

1. Classic Universal

51.4%
  2. Classic Hammer

48.6%
  1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hammer for me. I love both, but Hammer films often have an atmosphere about them that I find comforting.

I didn't want to go there out of respect for Bella, but yeah.

I don't discount people thinking Hammer may be boring. I can see that. But like I said they have a comforting quality to them for me which probably resonates from nostalgia. I also like that they embellish the classic monster tales with some euro sleaze and gore.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched it twice this year; 02/14 and 03/12. I plan to watch it again on Halloween. Last year I saw it on 10/31, 2009 on 10/31, 2008 on 10/30. :D

I haven't watched the Hammer Dracula since 2007 on 09/30, which I followed up with Universal's on 10/30 that year.

I'm not a huge supporter of Todd Browning's Dracula (more of a Frankenstein/Karloff fan), but I find the acting superb. Even with Peter Cushing, Michael Gough and of course Christopher Lee, Hammer's still seems lackluster to me.

Reportedly the most recent Spanish DVD is a far superior transfer than the current DVD. Also they have reportedly found the opening epilogue of the film, unseen since the 1938 re-issue.

I view Lowry as a bit of a hatchet company. I wouldn't put them on the top of my list for restoration work.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the early Bond Blu-rays? Those are films that I've watched countless times. And I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw the Lowry restorations. Countless blemishes were totally eliminated. And the restored transfers looked more like film than ever before.

Have they issued some screwed up restorations? My impression of their work is based solely on the Bond transfers.

4. Severn

Severn Member

Love both but I lean more towards Hammer. Love both however.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'll take AIP for $500.

6. maestra

maestra New Member

Classic Hammer not a fan of Universal movies.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Since this was bumped anyways I think I'll just comment that Lowry will do whatever they're paid to do. If they're paid to crank DNR up to 11 along with more EE then that's exactly what they'll do. So Lowry's branding doesn't mean a damn thing.

There's a good article on what Lowry did for Star Wars as an example, but it seems the Secret History of Star Wars page was hacked recently. But basically it boils down to them cutting corners to meet short deadlines and passing off color correction to Lucasfilms who did a horrible job. Also Lowry only intended this to be for SD but it is the transfer that Lucasfilms put on Blu-ray. So the fact that Lowry did the original trilogy's transfer on Blu-ray means little as the lackluster reviews have confirmed.

Since they'll do anything for money without holding themselves to higher standards I consider them to be hatchet men.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'd humbly submit that Lucas's penny pinching is a pretty big mitigating factor here. The fact that Lucas didn't want to pay for Lowry's best work isn't an indictment of Lowry.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It shows that just because Lowry did something doesn't automatically make it good. It could be a crap transfer and they'll put their name on it so long as the client is happy. The name "Lowry" is not a mark of quality.

Most any media company is capable of stellar transfers with proper guidance. Something Weird knocked Basket Case out of the park for example. Left to their own devices Lowry tends to be a little too DNR centric for their own good. The only true way to reduce grain is to work from the best material. Not digital wizardry. They seem to think otherwise.