Code Red working on a new Madman dvd

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jan 18, 2010.

1. CultCreep

CultCreep New Member

I'm still keeping my pre-order right where its at. I love Code Red and will support them in any way I can!

2. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Yes, there is a reason. While it doesn't always apply, many licensors don't want a US licensor selling their version overseas, if they have the ability to license the film to other countries themselves.

If, say, the owner of PIRANHA licenses it to Shout Factory for the US and Canada, why would they want Shout Factory's version getting overseas if they have the ability to license the film to another company for another territory?

People who get upset about region-locked product seem to forget sometimes that just because one company has the movie out in the US doesn't mean they have the right to sell it all over the world.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's fair enough. I was curious and admittedly never thought about that aspect of it. Still it's a shame as I haven't seen those releases for sale on the Aus market. Hopefully someone will pick them up.

Thanks for the info. :)

4. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I am reserving my judgment of CR’s Madman disc until I have it rotating in my DVD player. I think the more important issue at hand here is the fact that Code Red’s closing shop next summer…say it isn’t so!!!

My jaw completely detached from my face when I read that.

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Still got this on pre-order. Will reserve judgment until I see the transfer myself, but it sounds like Bill and CR did the best they could given the time and transfer restrictions.

Yes, I too hope Code Red will stick around for a while. They've done far more good than bad, despite what some will say.

6. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

But, I think this would be a great idea to keep Code Red in business! Turn that frown upside down, Bill! Knowing that you have limited runs on your titles and things are slow, just announce you are going out if business... hearing this news, fans go in a frenzy and start buying up your product before it goes out of print. You get a big influx of cash from the news of your impending closure. Then, with your newfound wealth for people going crazy to buy up your stuff, in a few months, you just make something up (like a private investor is giving you money to stay open) and you then decide to stay in business!

It's a win/win situation and you stimulate your sales with a threat of closure, even if you don't intend to!

Wait... what am I thinking? This sounds like a GREAT idea! I should've kept it to myself! LOL!

All joking aside, the CR news is grim. If there's anything I can do for ya Bill, just give me a jingle. Perhaps we could work together some day.

7. JohnBishop

JohnBishop Guest

I bought it...or should I say...them!

I think I just proved P.T. Barnum right and became a sucker the minute I heard that some of their titles were going out of print. "Sole Survivor," "The Unseen," "Pets," "Running Hot," "Sweet Sixteen," even "Devil Times Five" all made it to my library. I even snatched up "Messiah of Evil," "Primal Rage," and the two Fred Williamson films. Had "The Dead Pit" for a while even though it wasn't a personal favorite, but found it a quality release nevertheless. I can't wait for "Madman" and "The Undertaker," and I just ponied up for "The Night Child."

I had read about Code Red's woes on their blog discussing the nightmare that is the "Nightmare" DVD. This is a bummer by any description, no matter whether support was late or not. Thinking about how they haven't turned a profit on a single DVD release despite the hopes that there at least 40,000 people who are jazzed about either Fred Williamson, "Night of the Comet," Candice Rialson, or the "Hardbodies" films...it's rather depressing. I'm just glad that Code Red were able to release the movies they could, and now I've got at least ten of their catalog titles in my library. Here's hoping that if Code Red must get white-washed, Bill gets to move on to something as impressive as this company's contribution to the exploitation world. Even Don May of Synapse is reaching out, so thanks to him.

Speaking of Synapse, I've heard that the earlier 42nd Street Forever trailer comps might make it to Blu-Ray. Since they came out before Trailers from Hell made it hip to discuss two-minute previews via commentary, here's hoping there's an audio track for that release. I personally enjoyed the Edwin Samuelson, Mike Gingold and Chris Poggiali tracks immensely for their humor, informational value and group interplay, and they helped stoke my interest in many films other than "The Night Child" and "Devil Times Five," which Code Red have licensed and which I own.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

There you go Guy - join forces and get Screams of a Winter Night, The Mutiliator, The Prey and Humongous out on DVD :)

9. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Sounds good to me. I'm game!

10. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Shame about the new transfer. I'd gladly review the DVD on the site and offer full screenshot comparisons with the Anchor Bay DVD to offer the final word, but Bill does not respond to any of my messages anymore, so thems the breaks.

13. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Code Red closing shop next summer...not cool :(

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The old blue tint is very EC Comics-ish, which I do like. However, I do like the more natural lighting in what I've seen so far of the newest release.

15. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

Get cracking then fellas. Good money here waiting for those titles :)

16. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Personally, I never cared for the blue tint on Madman. The more natural tones look better to my eyes.

The pics from the 10,000 Bullets review seem to look better than what had been posted previously...

17. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Yes, there will be a Blu and yes the trio is back with their commentary. We are editing now. It's a best of 1 & 2 with new trailers thrown into the mix.

18. springjack

springjack New Member

They look better because the pictures in the review are very smaller that the one i?ve posted.
    Don?t forget that you see the movie on a bigger screen that the dimentions the pictures are posted on the review that?s why I put the pictures on bigger dimensions.

As you can see from the review, it confirms what I posted...

- No progressive playback
    - Some issues with combing of the image
    - Altered colors
    - The transfer looks softer and at times murky
    - Same print damage
    ________
    ASIAN CUTE

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  19. rhett

rhett Administrator

The stills from the 10k Bullets review also are of static shots that don't see as much degradation from interlacing as those with movement in/of the frame.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Damn, I'm really disappointed with this. Been waiting forever to check this out since one of the Mods put it in their Halloween Watching List, due to it's Fall atmosphere. I think that will be lost quite a bit with the blue tint gone.

That being said, this is all we'll probably get for a while, and the extras seem like they will be worth the $20 alone, so yes, I will still be grabbing this one. Hopefully with this re-release many people will unload their old Anchor bay editions and I can pick one up for cheap as well. Use the Anchor Bay DVD for watching the movie, and the Code Red DVD for all the sweet extras.

Oh, and I don't blame Bill for this at all. It sounded like the Producer wanted it his way or nothing, and I understand why Code Red took the risk, as this is a in demand title. When I saw those pics I was mad at Code Red as well, but once he explained the situation it sounds like he was just as mad as the rest of us. It was either this release or nothing, and at least we get all the extras and a chance to see the long OOP movie, even it is lacking the blue tint.

Hopefully the news about Code Red closing is premature though. I hope Nightmare sells a bunch and gets them going again as they have released a lot of obscure titles that I would have never even heard of if not for them. Still need to pick up quite a few when I have some cash.