Code Red working on a new Madman dvd

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

No estimate, just the notice saying my order would be canceled October 29 unless I told them to keep the order open. Didn't give me a lot of confidence it would be coming back in stock any time soon.

2. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Just checked a second ago and now it says, Usually ships within 9 to 13 days.:confused:

3. chancetx

Just got an e-mail saying estimated delivery is now between Oct. 14-18.

4. springjack

springjack New Member

You guys should order this from Axel Music.

I received my dvd almost a month ago.
    ________
    Buy Herbalaire Vaporizer

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Mine says.....
    "Estimated arrival date: October 18 2010 - October 25 2010"

I don't care, as long as it shows up eventually. God knows it's not like I don't have anything else to watch :rolleyes:

6. Mutilated Prey

The Amazon website says...

"In stock on October 4, 2010."

...so, either they are now getting them quicker than they initially thought or just have a huge backorder line of folks like us.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Last night my delivery estimate said: October 15, 2010 - October 18, 2010.

This morning it says: October 7, 2010.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Last week Amazon told me my order will ship on October 4th.

9. Mutilated Prey

Yup, my delivery estimate got upped on the website...

"October 5, 2010 - October 8, 2010". Supply and Demand Guy!

How long do we think it'll be before this title goes OOP? Bill mentioned it wouldn't be around for long, and I don't think that was a scare/sell - tactic.

10. CPT HOOK

I think he said just until the initial pressing runs out. Anyone know how many DVDs were made?

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

The only thing I know is Lloyd Kaufman told me once the minimum amount of DVDs Troma could make to sell was 2000. I assume it was for profitability.

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Amazon has it back in stock, just ordered.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Pretty much the absolute, bare minimum number of discs that you can get pressed anywhere is 1000. I know of a tiny company that does many small releases and they rarely press more than the 1000 minimum for any of their titles. Their MSRPs are in the same range as those of Code Red, and the break even point for them is selling about 300 discs. Of course, they don't do any sort of remastering and they don't produce any of their own special features, they release mostly new shot-on-video movies and their special features are whatever the filmmaker provides them with. If they were doing the kind of work that Bill is their break even point would be much higher.

14. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I want to start off by saying I’ve never been that big on the movie Madman. I enjoyed the synth soundtrack, I enjoyed the absurdity of Marz as a character, but other than that, the film never clicked for me they way it has for it’s fans. But thanks to Code Red’s 30th Anniversary DVD and three consecutive viewings of it, I now get it. I now understand why this film is held in such high regard for slasher enthusiasts.

Madman is a well-intentioned, marvelously cheap, straight from the hip, base-level wooded slasher that never tries to overstep its own boundaries. It’s the simplicity of the formula that Madman is able to achieve so well. It takes a little bit of the Burning and mixes in a dose of Just Before Dawn and then hits purée. What you are left with is a watery mix of the two that packs twice the punch. I still think Madman is an inept piece of film-making, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t one hell of a fun little flick. It delivers everything that you would want in a slasher film and doesn’t try to get all high and mighty about it. The only thing they could have upped the dosage on was titties.

As for Code Red’s transfer, it has its problems,… but despite them, I actually prefer it over the Anchor Bay DVD. The color adjustment and the elimination of the overtly blue scenes lends to a more authentic fall atmosphere. Prior to watching the Code Red disc, I always felt as if Madman took place during late summer despite the mentioning of Thanksgiving and such. However, the new transfer tends to come off as too yellow at times, but it’s still able to overwhelm you with an autumn feel. This combined with the fact that new transfer is anamorphic is another big positive especially for those viewing Madman on an HDTV. Also, the interlacing issue some had prior to viewing the disc seems to be an overreaction as it was practically nonexistent while playback through my PS3. Maybe others who don’t have the option to convert to progressive will have more of a problem, I’m not sure, but there was no issue in that department for me.

Another aspect that added to my newly found appreciation of Madman were the extras on the disc. The documentary was fun to watch and extremely informative. I loved seeing what the creators and fans of the film both had to say. And I always find it exciting and down to earth when film makers and the actors go back to an area in which a film was shot and sort of relive the accounts of the movie. It just shows that not every actor/film maker is a snobby sonuvabitch. One thing I was disappointed in was the absence of Gaylen Ross in the documentary. I know she does conventions and such for Dawn of the Dead…does she not hold Madman in high regard? Sure, she looked like shit in it, but she definitely had the most acting talent among the cast.

All-in-all, I can’t thank Code Red enough for putting this out once again, and making it available for its fans and future fans. If it wasn’t for Code Red I would have never found my appreciation for this film or the others they have released (Boardinghouse, Sole Survivor, Hell High, Don’t Go in the Woods, Messiah of Evil, Stunt Rock, and Dead Pit just to name my favorites). So thanks Code Red and everyone involved, this is easily one of my favorite DVD releases this year.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  15. CPT HOOK

Amazon shipped mine out early this morning!

:banana:

16. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Same, along with my Star Crash blu ray.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

They had a whole bunch of the new Madman DVD at a DVD/Blu-ray convention here in Europe. I counted at least 15 copies. Maybe that is why amazon had trouble coughing up this title - they are all on sale in Germany ;)

18. Mutilated Prey

Mine shipped from Amazon as well.

19. chancetx

Mine shipped as well but it didn't get the price guarantee. I know the price dropped to at least $18.99 at one point, maybe even $17.99. Does amazon not honor that pre-order guarantee if an item gets back-ordered?

I'll probably return it anyway since I ordered from DVD Empire when amazon backordered me.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It could be a glitch. I had to contact Amazon last week since a pre-order price guarantee never appeared for a different DVD release. They've said that it normally should take 24-48 hours after the release date has passed before it applies the refund in your account.

Customer service did manually correct it then, so I'd contact them if you pre-ordered it.