Creature Features for Young Adults - ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by KappaMoth, Oct 8, 2010.

1. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Trying to figure out 3 or so movies to put on for a Halloween youth group event focusing on monster movies. Movies must be PG-13 or lower, group is young adult to mid-teens - bonus points for 1) an overarching theme, 2) incorporating Universal-type monster movies that are still relevant to/enjoyable by today's youth.

Help a guy out, I need some solid ideas! :confused:

2. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

That's a tough call, especially with the PC environment of today and the whole "everyone's always offended" mentality. Hell, you wouldn't be able to show The Monster Squad because the kids call each other faggots and assholes.

If you're looking for an overarching theme and you could show an R movie, I'd suggest the Lost Boys. I mean 95% of the movie is about Micheal struggling with coming out of the closet. :lol:

I wish I could be of help, but I'm so out of touch with teen culture that I wouldn't know where to begin.

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Perhaps LADY IN WHITE since the film has a proactive child as the central, main character.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Young adult to mid teens? No offense intended, but you've got to be kidding me. I would think that most of them in that age bracket would be bored with movies with ratings of PG-13 or less. You don't even need to be a legal adult to see an R rated film, you only need to be 17. I suggest you show what you want and if the film just so happens to be "R" that you require a signature from a guardian for those not old enough.

5. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I recommend one I just watched 2 days ago called The Maneater of Hydra. Plus the movie has Elvira hosting it :) I think the movie was rated PG, and it's pretty laughable.

6. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

When I was in the second grade they showed "Maneater of Hydra" in my school cafeteria to raise money for the German Club to go on a trip. Later that year they also showed Jess Franco's "Dracula" (!)and it was awesome!!!!!! I, however, recomend Monster Squad. Yep. saw Franco's "Dracula" in 1977 on the big screen in my school cafeteria!

7. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Maybe "The Gate" although, just like "Monster Squad", that film is really dark and edgy by today's standards.

8. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

It's really tough to make suggestions without knowing a bit more about the audience. Is it primarily male or female? Is this a school or church event? What's the average age of the kids involved?

Depending on how young your audience is and how light and cheesy you want to go, you could something like: My Best Friend is a Vampire, Teen Witch and My Mom's a Werewolf. With that line up, you hit on three classic horror archetypes without showing anything too offensive. But again, it really depends on the audience. If it's going to be mid to older teens, then they're probably going to want something with a bit more bite (har har).

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Frighteners. Yeah it's rated R, but by all means should be PG-13 tops.
    No nudity and hardly any gore, fun and funny, just a winner.

I'd say Wolfman remake, but that earns it's R through blood and gore, although is nudity-free.

Alien Vs Predator is PG-13, and unrated would be a soft R max.

10. maybrick

He did say mid teen to young adult. Mid teen is generally 15-17, and young adult is college age, 18-22. With that in mind it's a bit ridiculous (in my humble opinion) to be programming features aimed at children. They're not babies and will possibly be insulted if you treat them as such. I wouldn't say program any hard "Rs" like The Devil's Rejects but there are plenty of soft Rs that are aimed at precisely that core audience. AWIL, The Fog, Creepshow, Halloween, Scream. None of these should be outright dismissed out of hand unless it's for some sort of church group. But who's ever heard of a church that's pro horror?

11. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

HA HA HA! SO true! I went to an evil "christian" school in the early '80s and they were opposed to EVERYTHING including Amy fucking Grant, and she was singing christian music back then!!!

If it's a church youth group, I would just go ahead and show them THE EXORCIST.

12. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I just watched this movie the other night. All though 3/4ths of the movie is light hearted and even Disney-like, the last portion actually is very dark. Multiple shotgun murders, carving numbers in people's heads, Jeffrey Combs' Hitler/cult maniac character (and exploding head), daughter committing bloody murder to her own mother, numbered body count for a high score, and a creepy trip to Hell.

Honestly, if I had to pick a horror movie to shown a young audience of kids that weren't my own, I'd be very paranoid. Over concerned rube mothers can get offended at something so simple as a fart these days. Too many eggshells to walk on.

13. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

If you're talking about teens, I think you need to stick with fairly recent or popular films.

Here's a few PG-13 monster movies:

Eight Legged Freaks
    Tremors
    Anaconda
    The Cave
    Gremlins

You could also do Van Helsing and The Mummy.

14. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Loose theme - dolls/mannequins coming to life:

Tourist Trap (PG)

Trilogy Of Terror (TV Movie)

Poltergeist (PG)

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

You're throwing me a bit when you say ''Universal Monsters",do you want straight up creature features,like monsters etc. or are you open to PGish horror flicks of any variety ?

As far as youth oriented horrors the Ray Bradbury adaptation SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is a good flick.The earlier THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS isn't bad.Oddly both were put out by Disney.If they'll sit still for animation MONSTER HOUSE is a very entertaining film.The stop motion NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and CORPSE BRIDE are great fun too.
    If the kids will sit still for a pic with British accents you might try some of the Amicus anthologies like ASYLUM or TALES FROM THE CRYPT .There's a bit of bloodshed (the payoff of a couple of CRYPT segments especially) but it isn't terribly gory.

For a trio of PG (but creepy) ghost stories: BURNT OFFERINGS,THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE,POLTERGEIST.If this is a church youth group though you might wanna be wary of supernatural/posession themes.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  16. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Irrelevant.

The determination as to what constitutes a "soft" R is pretty subjective. I'm not sure by what metric American Werewolf, Halloween or Scream are "soft" Rs. Scream was almost rated NC-17 and although its edge has been dulled somewhat in the interim by films like Hostel and Saw, the violence is still pretty potent today. I personally don't think it's too intense a movie for your average 15 or 16 year-old, but they're not my kids so I don't get to make that call.

When programming for a large age group, you almost have to program to the youngest members of that group by default. I'm sure the older teens or college age kids, if any, will be able to deal with the fact that they can't watch an R rated movie if there are younger kids present whose parents may object.

17. maybrick

Then the thread author should have named the thread "Creature Features for teens - ideas?". Young adults, while young, are still adults and are fully entitled to watch R rated horror films whether their parents want them to or not. If young adults are your target audience, and you want your project to be a success, then don't aim for grade schoolers or vice versa. I'd love to know more about what this is really for. Church group? School? Public library?

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Who knows! The films that I loved as a kid, may no longer be considered PC.

But, how about Fright Night, The Gate, and Tales from the Crypt.

19. maybrick

Being politically incorrect is generally what turns a PG film into PG-13. Cigarette smoking, for instance. It shouldn't make a difference. It's one thing to limit what you show to PG-13 or less, but when you start worrying beyond that about how parent's might take the film's subject matter then you're really bordering on paranoia. If the parent's really object to that degree then maybe they should make their kid stay home and watch Bambi instead.

The rating systems may be more restrictive today than they used to, but I'd milk that fact for all that it's worth and program things like Poltergeist, It's Alive, and Legend of Hell House. Movies that still have PG ratings attached to them but probably qualify for Rs or at least PG-13s if released now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  20. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Thanks for all the ideas so far everyone, and my apologies for not being more specific earlier. It is in fact a -drumroll- public library, hence the PG-13 limitation - and also why anything with nudity (even if PG-13) would be out. Also, by 'young adult' I meant more in the literary sense, that is to say older preteens. So the age range is something closer to 12-16. That's why I'm thinking that at least including something with like the classic Dracula or Frankenstein would be soft enough for a 12 year old but of enough interest to a 15 year old. Maybe I'm wrong though? And I would think that it would have to be paired with something newer, again, to keep interest and bring people into the event.

Thanks again, some good ideas so far. I'll let you know what ends up getting picked in the end, the event's not for another three weeks.