Crimes of the Future - New Cronenberg Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Anaestheus, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Apparently David Cronenberg is working a new film called "Crimes of the Future" with Viggo Mortensen. It seems details are scant at this point. And I can't tell if or how this is related to the original "Crimes of the Future" from 1970. From what details Deadline has posted it definitely sounds like a completely different film.

Here's the article they ran: https://deadline.com/2021/04/kriste...n-serendipity-point-summer-greece-1234746630/

In the end, I don't care if it's something new or a remake, I'm excited to see DC getting back to something weird. I've mostly enjoyed his recent films, but this sounds like a much needed return to form from a master. Additionally exciting - it looks like Howard Shore will be doing the score. And, I've always thought that Cronenberg brings out the best in him as a composer. So, yeah, I'm tingly.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw that story and put the original on my list to check out. I still bunch of Cronenberg movies I need to see.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, with the way film financing is done these days I'm shocked Cronenberg can get anything off the ground. He'd been pretty dismissive of the process recently too. So, if he's been persuaded back it must be something special.

Kino just announced Eastern Promises on UHD so funny enough after a few dormant years being neglected on home video Cronenberg is one of the better represented directors on the latest format!

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Which of his other films are on 4k?

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Arrow put out Crash as well. Which never got a Blu-ray.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Two releases isn't much. Definitely not enough to say Cronenberg is well represented on the format. Fulci or Argento, even Carpenter have more release out of their films in 4k.

I thought I'd somehow missed something there for a second. Would be great to have The Fly and Scanners on 4k.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say the original film is certainly interesting and worth watching. There are a lot of interesting ideas in it and it's a lot of fun to see how a lot of stuff in later films came out of this one in much more "fleshed out" (I'm funny) ways. But, it is also an extremely low-budget art film. It almost comes across like a really well put together student film, which it practically is. Don't want to dissuade you from watching, just want to help set expectations. I think it's a really neat film and certainly shows how well formed Cronenberg was as a filmmaker right out of the gate. But, I also have a fondness for really low budget arty films. Your mileage may vary. But, it may be more enjoyable after you've seen a good chunk of his stuff.

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I tend to like art films. I enjoyed that short film that inspired 12 Monkeys. I've actually seen that a handful of times. I don't think modern audiences would put up with that.