Criterion BDs going bad

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only blus I own from Criterion are House and Dazed and Confused. Both work as they should, but they may not be the initial pressings because I waited a few years to buy them.

But on the subject of Criterion there are a number of their releases that are insanely cheap on Deep Discount right now due to their Halloween sale. Scanners on blu for only $16!

3. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Just checked my copy of 'The Red Shoes' from 2010 and looks perfectly fine.

Anyone remember the PDO fiasco from the late 1980's/1990's with bronzing issues on their music CDs?

mental thought: not sure if it's a good idea to post that I have a Gloria Estefan CD... :cry: Yeah, it still plays perfectly 27 years later... perhaps the data density on a Blu-ray disk doesn't do it many favours?

4. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Thank fuck VIDEODROME isn't on that list. It's a first printing 2010 too.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn I have 8 1/2, Bigger Than Life, Pierrot le fou and Stagecoach. Although 8 1/2, Bigger Than Life and Stagecoach I bought during Barnes and Noble's last sale. Hopefully they're a later printing. However, I'm worried about Pierrot now, since that's OOP (and one of my favorite Godard films). I'm gonna check my disc when I get home.

Does Criterion plan to do anything about this? Surely they could still issue replacements for the OOP titles. It's not like they're totally issuing another run of these discs. Just for those who already own them.

~Matt

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Gonna check my Dazed and Videodrome discs tonight, just in case. thanks for the heads up.

7. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Just checked all my discs, and they all work and have no bronzing. I bought 8 1/2 and the sanjuro, yojimbo set around the time when they got first released, and they all look brand new still. Maybe this is only to a specific batch, or specific type of climate that's affecting them.

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's likely. I tried to get a replacement How to Get Ahead in Advertising insert, and they said they would have obliged if they had any, but that they didn't and couldn't print more.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My copy of M looks okay. Now I have to rewatch it to be sure it plays okay. Unlucky me, I have to rewatch M. :)

11. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to check out my Walkabout disc when I get home tonight. Looks like that's the only one I have off that list as it is now.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck I might just send all of mine that are on that list. I don't want to run the risk of them fucking up down the line. I have to check if I have later pressings of some of the discs. How can you tell?

~Matt

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just got Days of Heaven yesterday actually, but it should be a later pressing of it since it was from a retailer. The disc looks perfectly fine at least.

I don't have any of the others on the list though.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So Criterion is offering an exchange program:

"We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on seven titles, though not on all copies of those titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

Howards End
    M
    Paris, Texas
    Pierrot le fou
    The Seventh Seal
    Summer Hours
    Walkabout

If you have found that your Blu-ray copy of one of these titles does not play, please send your disc to the following address for a replacement:

Jon Mulvaney
    The Criterion Collection
    215 Park Avenue South
    5th floor
    New York, NY 10003

Please include only your disc—no packaging—along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging. There is no need to email us in addition.

If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to this list and continue to replace them as well.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3317-exchanging-defective-discs

This is why I love Criterion and will always support them. They're by FAR the best company in the business. They're even exchanging OOP titles! I checked my copy of Pierrot le fou and it seems okay but I'm not taking any chances.

~Matt

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  15. Katatonia

I checked my copy of The Seventh Seal earlier, and the disc looked and played perfectly fine. I bought it on the original release date in 2009, so if it hasn't gone bad by now I think it should be okay. It sounds like only the later 2010 pressings had issues.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And of course people at bluray.com are bitching about the replacement program, saying they'll never trust Criterion again. They couldn't have known the discs were improperly pressed if it literally took years for them to go bad. If people wanna stop buying Criterions over something like this, something they're clearly working to fix, that's their loss. Also people are full of shit. Bet you the losers who are saying they'll never buy one of Criterion's titles again will be the first ones to go out and grab their latest release.

~Matt

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That makes sense. :rolleyes:

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'll have to check my PARIS, TEXAS and M discs tonight and hope for the best. Great to hear Criterion's response--they have always impressed me with their customer care. When my THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH arrived without the booklet inside, it took me almost a year to notice. I sent them an email and asked if they had a stash of extras so I could buy it and they mailed it to me free of charge.

Love. Criterion.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Is this replacement program going on indefinitely? Because I still haven't even opened my blu-rays of M, Paris Texas, and Summer Hours.

20. Katatonia

Oh geez, people are such [enter just about anything here] over at that forum.

Sure, Criterion did this totally on purpose and gave an order to the replication plant to screw 'em up, just so the discs could fail a few years later. :lol:

Did anyone notice any visible defects or quality issues on the discs originally? No, it was an issue of time for it to show up. They've addressed the problem and are offering replacements... it's not as if they are ignoring the issue and leaving people out in the cold.