Curse of the Screaming Dead (1982)

Discussion in 'General' started by bruce h, May 25, 2012.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Great little companian piece to the Nightmare USA article. Also loved the page on the VHS.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Very cool,thanks !

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Glad to see those photos came of use! :) Great write up!

I was disappointed to find out the film elements for the film are lost, Troma apparently doesn't have them any longer and according to the director; they would be the only folks that would have a film print. So any chance of seeing this outside of shoddy quarter inch master transfers, which are limited to the confines of the source tape are nil. :(

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. bruce h

Thanks again, Chris! Those photos are great, and without 'em the article would look pretty poor. I agree about the elements and Troma's lack of care; I ran into the same exact situation years back when trying to get Don Dohler's NIGHTBEAST a proper release.

6. startide

startide Member

Wow. A bigger, steaming pile o' shit I've never seen (excepting the $2 bargain DVDs I've bought, of course). But at least that steaming pile makes sense now! The budget was bigger than I thought though.

My biggest dilemma is selling this video. The movie is crap, but forms part of quite a valued collection. OTOH, I know I have neither the desire, nor the budget, to finish said collection. I guess I've got nothing to lose by listing it on ebay for a nice price. Either way I win, I guess. :D

7. startide

startide Member

Edit: Another double post. Still no delete function I can find...

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

When you click on Edit, you should see a Delete button when that window opens.

I seem to remember that isn't a visible option until you have so many posts on here, but I can't recall how many posts that is. That could be why it's not showing for you...

9. startide

startide Member

That's what I figured, but it's not there. Bad enough being a newbie, but if you make an arse of yourself, it's there for all the world to see until you have enough posts to be bestowed the honour of the delete function.

A point about it in the FAQ would be helpful, instead it says you can delete, when clearly you can't until you get to the requisite post count.

10. bruce h

What are you collecting, startide?

11. startide

startide Member

The Palace Explosive video label. But I have a few left to go, some are pretty obscure, and I'm not paying $100 or so for Satan's Blade.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

The print of the film on the Palace tape is actually the best looking version out there. Mogul's transfer is very dark and muddy with the contrast boosted so high, the zombies practically glow. The Palace version while still pretty dark has a much more warmer color palette and the contrast is kept at normal levels.

I've been looking for a copy of that version for some time now with no luck.

13. bruce h

Any chance I could get a scan of that Aussie CURSE tape? The one I currently have posted is super low-res and I'd love an upgrade!

14. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

Bruce, great read, as said before, a perfect follow up to nightmare usa...also, my brother took that exact same picture on the escalator in monroeville mall...when his wife flipped through the processed photos, she found that his legs were elevated a little too far and you could see basically everything up the leg of his shorts...still have the picture today, thankfully with his wife's sharpie censorship...

15. startide

startide Member

PM me your email address. I can't guarantee it'll be soon, but when I find it, I'll do my best. :)

chrismac87, if anything, the Palace tape shows all of Curse's budgetary constraints. The one thing I remember most is the lighting, spotlight on the action, darkness in the rest of the frame. Very 80s, very low budget.

16. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well that's any release really. The Palace release was transferred properly - the original Mogul and Troma releases seemed like they were done quick and cheap. The Mogul print has the boosted contrast and the Troma print is the darkest print around.

17. bruce h

PM sent -- and thanks in advance!