Damien - A&E (New Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Mar 10, 2016.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

New series on A&E that is based on the Omen films.

Anybody catch the premier episode last night? It followed the 4th season of Bates Motel. Its like the reverse of how Bates Motel works. It's Damien grown up verses Norman as a youth.

I'm sure any Omen film fans will be interested in this new series.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's a continuation of the original 1976 film.
    I really hope that they stay on track, and keep it straight horror/thriller, and don't go into silly soap opera mode, like Bates Motel did.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode, and it was pretty damn good.
    It's very faithful to the original movie, and it continues the story in pretty much the same style.
    Those creepy dogs are back, and the show doesn't shy away from showing a bit of gore, during an attack.
    Got some chills when that Omen theme began to play.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes, the dog attack was pretty good. Like you said it didn't shy away from the gore. Barbara Hershey is a nice touch to the show.

5. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Why can't Hollywood blow out their ass something good like this?

baggio likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, this series is really good. People jump on board.

Unlike Bates Motel(excellent btw) which doesn't acknowledge the movies, Damien fully makes aware of the events from the film. The parting scene in episode 2 was pretty awesome.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the first two episodes and I can't say it especially grabbed me. I liked that they use clips from the original film and there are a lot of nods to it throughout. The show itself was pretty generic stuff. I actually laughed out loud at the funeral scene when the sister was like "My sister went out into war zones everyday. She died in a sinkhole."

Ratings for the pilot were less than half of Bates Motel's season 4 premiere, even with the Bates lead in. Second episode dropped to about 1/3 of Bates and I don't really see them picking back up. Keep in mind, this being Bates 4th season, the ratings on that show are also the lowest they've ever been, so it's technically less than half of Bates Motel's lowest ratings ever. I'm not so sure the series will make it past the first season.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well given that Bates Motel and Damien are 2 out of just a few A&E shows that are scripted. It's got a decent chance of a second season imho. Plus the fact it goes against Better Call Saul, and a slew of other shows, not to mention the huge nightly ratings coming from the cable news stations(election year).

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Some perspective:
    The Glades ran for 4 seasons and stayed around 3 million viewers for the entire run, never dipping below 2 million.
    Longmire ran for 3 seasons on A&E before switching to NetFlix, and stayed around 3 to 4 million for that run.
    Bates Motel premiered to 3 million viewers, dropped just below 2 million for season 3, and the new season premiered to 1.5 million.
    Last year's The Returned premiered to 1.5 million viewers, stayed around 1 million viewers for the entire season, and was cancelled after season one.
    Damien's premiere had 750,000 viewers, and the second episode dropped to 535,000 viewers.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well even Better Call Saul is dropping. (same time slot as Damien) And about The Returned, that was a poor remake. It all depends on how the channel is behind a show beside just the ratings. A&E ordered more than the trial initial episodes for Damien. The creator has said the finale is excellent and has plenty story to tell for addition seasons. Plus the fact that A&E has renewed Bates Motel to a 5th season. Damien imo makes for a better compliment to Bates Motel than The Return ever did.

Will see, anything can happen. Hey, tell 1,000,000 friends to watch the dam show. Keep it alive! :D

Steel76 likes this.
  11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Absolutely loathe Bates Motel but this looks interesting. I'll give it a shot.