"Dark Night of the Scarecrow" on an official DVD...

Discussion in 'General' started by MrVess, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Of course...pffffft.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Fuck. :cry: Will I ever get to see this movie?

3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Great news! The DVD will be released in 2010!!! :D :D :D

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16691.html

"Back in August of 2008, it was announced that cult film Dark Night of the Scarecrow was finally coming to DVD . What was rumored to be a 2009 DVD release from Imagine Entertainment was squashed about a month ago as Writer/Producer J.D. Feigelson said "negotiations fell through". That was a bit of a let down as horror fans have been pining for a DVD release for some time. But fear not, it appears Dark Night of the Scarecrow will be making it's long awaited DVD debut in 2010.

Last night I attended a screening of Dark Night of the Scarecrow here in Chicago and Writer/Producer J.D. Feigelson was in attendance to introduce the film and do a Q&A. He spoke about the impending DVD and said it is back on track and will see release in 2010 now from Lionsgate. He did not offer any sort of specific timetable for the release but they have been putting a lot of work into prepping the film for DVD release. Feigelson stated that they have spent the last several months digitally remastering the original Panavision film for the DVD. They also went back and shot a few seconds of new footage that was added into the ending to help resolve some questions people had with the film. It's nothing major but it's still interesting that 28 years later they went back and shot just a brief shot to help ease some fan complaints from it's debut.

So while no date is definite, it's still a good start to hear that the film has been digitally remastered and hard work has been put into it to finally get this to horror fans. The version of the film that I saw last night was the debut of the remastered version and their work was well worth it as it was very crisp and clean looking. And kudos to Lionsgate for stepping up to the plate and deciding to release this film on DVD. We will be sure to let you know when the official release date is known."

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Ummmm. :bs: I hope that it is an optional shot. Many of us have never had the opportunity to see this little lost film and I do not like the idea of seeing a Lucas-like version prior to the original cut.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, bit of a gray area but if the director wants to add one single shot to correct some misunderstandings the audience has had, that's not a terrible idea. So long as we're not talking Gretto shoots first styled alterations I'm OK with it.

It also means the bootleg I bought last year just before the announcement wasn't a total waste of cash.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

It's Greedo, not Gretto.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Greedo Garbo?

Great news! The newly shot footage would be good as an extra, but I really hope it doesn't make it into a cut - or worse, the only cut on the DVD. One of the joys of the film is the subtlety and ambiguity - you don't see a lot of the murders, and they certainly don't try to explain it. Hopefully they don't mess with that.

Nice to hear Lionsgate has it, though. If they treat it like THE GATE or MY BLOODY VALENTINE, we're in for a winner next year.

8. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Hmm. . . I'm trying to figure out what people misunderstood about it. I saw this on TV as a kid when it first aired and thought everything was pretty clear. Did I miss something? Did I assume something that wasn't the case? I thought the ending was perfect the way it was!

9. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

interesting info guess I just answered my own question
    http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16691.html

So I guess no blu ray?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    sounds terrific. I love that film!

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

hmm I don't like the sound of that.

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Why don't you like the added material Ash?

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Well If I read that correctly they are going to ADD new footage, newly shot Material. Is this going to be something like the NOTLD 30th anniversary DVD because that was terrible.

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Oh that's sounds so stupid doing that. This is going to suck then just like before.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

You don't even know what's being added and they did say it was only one shot. I wouldn't start saying it's going to suck till it comes out or we're told what was added.
    I for one haven't seen the movie and will be sure to pick it up when it comes out.

16. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Figure of speech, regardless I will still buy it. :eek2:

17. Zombie Dude

If it's a disaster like the re-release of The House on Sorority row then I probably won't buy it. I hope that's not the case though.

18. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

lol. The rerelease of Sorority was a 'disaster'? A bit much, don't cha think? Hehe

As for this 'new footage' being shot 28 years later...I have a HUGE problem with that. We're wanting the original movie, not a mix of old and new for new product. One shot, yes, but still, it's not exactly the ending we have held onto for so long. Just...very weird. >.> It's like reshooting in hi-def a scene of Freddy's Mom popping out of the grave in NOES 3. Just, out of place. Or, whatever. I'll still get it. :)

19. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

No matter how hard they try newer footage always stick out like a sore thumb.

Why do you think the Sorority DVD was a disaster zombie dude?

20. Zombie Dude

When the quality of a transfer is worse than a previous release of the film then yes I think it's safe to say it's a disaster. Plus with the way technology has gone the quality of the film should have been much better. It should have been cleaned up at least. That's my opinion anyway.
    Mainly because the image quality is somewhat worse than the old release due to the fact that the film is interlaced causing faint lines to run across the screen. Apart from that it's the same transfer as the old Elite dvd which is a poor effort in this time and day.